BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

2nd gear cold start reluctance

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
As of late I've noticed a sputtering during acceleration in 2nd gear. It only happens when the car has been sitting overnight and only once. I usually switch to third gear when I feel it happening and I cannot duplicate it again until the next cold start. It's in the 2-3k rpm range. I'll have to scan to check if it registered a cel(my light is on since I'm catless) but it's been happening everyday for the past week. Ideas? Search box seems to bring up sputtering at idle from cold start but can't find mention of sputtering during acceleration after cold start.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

do you have a tune? did you delete the cold start cycle?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No tune. Cold start still present. Only software changes is Alex's DCT GTS coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyGray View Post
No tune. Cold start still present. Only software changes is Alex's DCT GTS coding.
I know this is off topic but how is that GTS DCT tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
Why not PM him?

Op are you saying that the car is a little hesitant under throttle, but only while cold? I have seen this before but it would always exist and wasn't only present cold. Don't recall what the outcome was but I don't think the person did anything and just let it be.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Are you talking about jerky response?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
My review:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964892

Basically what's happening is when I initially start the car in the morning(been sitting overnight), initial start up is fine, so is the idle. But once I get going, in 2nd gear(DCT), it jerks as I'm accelerating from 2-3k rpm. It shudders like it wants to accelerate but the power comes in and out and creates a jerking motion. Coupled with an aftermarket exhaust(read:louder), it's audibly irritating. However, once i jump up to third, everything is fine. Cannot duplicate it again, even if I go back down to 2nd gear. In addition, this symptom is happening while cold start cycle is still engaged(obvious by the rougher sounding exhaust). I'm going to try and let it idle till the cold start cycle ends and see if it does it still tomorrow. Typically I turn the vehicle on and just drive off gently until it warms up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Pretty typical for this car to be jerky initially until warm, normal operation. Been discussed once a month for 5 plus years.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
IzzyGray
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Pretty typical for this car to be jerky initially until warm, normal operation. Been discussed once a month for 5 plus years.
I test drove a handful of M3's and know the typical jerkiness you're talking about, it's present in my car as well. However this particular hesitation did not feel similar, and is one that just recently reared its ugly head. I'm in Wisconsin and it's only starting to get warm this past few weeks so it shouldn't suddenly be showing more "cold start" jerkiness now compared to when it was -20.

Then again, maybe that's all there is to it. I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences before I ring the alarm bell and bring it to the indie shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyGray View Post
My review:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964892

Basically what's happening is when I initially start the car in the morning(been sitting overnight), initial start up is fine, so is the idle. But once I get going, in 2nd gear(DCT), it jerks as I'm accelerating from 2-3k rpm. It shudders like it wants to accelerate but the power comes in and out and creates a jerking motion. Coupled with an aftermarket exhaust(read:louder), it's audibly irritating. However, once i jump up to third, everything is fine. Cannot duplicate it again, even if I go back down to 2nd gear. In addition, this symptom is happening while cold start cycle is still engaged(obvious by the rougher sounding exhaust). I'm going to try and let it idle till the cold start cycle ends and see if it does it still tomorrow. Typically I turn the vehicle on and just drive off gently until it warms up.
Yea no worries.. It's pretty normal
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Did it just start doing this? trying going back to stock software and see what happens.