BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #45
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
Eisenmann - Lifetime warranty
Remus - Lifetime warranty
Borla - Lifetime warranty
Eisenmann has a 2 year warranty BTW. Remus and Borla are lifetime. I wouldn't have any issues with the Eisenmann being only a 2 year warranty and I don't think others do either.

But this is not an apples to apples comparison, this is stainless steel vs titanium. I had the Remus, and it's built like a tank. In turn, it weighed a lot, though less than stock. Is there another titanium exhaust that has a longer warranty out there?
      08-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #46
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Eisenmann has a 2 year warranty BTW. Remus and Borla are lifetime. I wouldn't have any issues with the Eisenmann being only a 2 year warranty and I don't think others do either.

But this is not an apples to apples comparison, this is stainless steel vs titanium. I had the Remus, and it's built like a tank. In turn, it weighed a lot, though less than stock. Is there another titanium exhaust that has a longer warranty out there?
I'll agree with you there. Manufacturers do hesitate to warranty Ti vs. SS. At this point I just wish there were more "tried and true" testomonials out there. People who just bought the exhaust since launch doesn't cut it for me at this point. Seeing how this is the first Vorsteiner exhaust just makes me all the more hesitant. Hopefully it goes well with yours and I can make a decision with confidence once you start hitting higher mileage w/ the exhaust installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #47
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
I'll agree with you there. Manufacturers do hesitate to warranty Ti vs. SS. At this point I just wish there were more "tried and true" testomonials out there. People who just bought the exhaust since launch doesn't cut it for me at this point. Seeing how this is the first Vorsteiner exhaust just makes me all the more hesitant. Hopefully it goes well with yours and I can make a decision with confidence once you start hitting higher mileage w/ the exhaust installed.
I don't think the warranty thing is an issue, like I pointed out with Eisenmann. They make a great, rock solid exhaust. Likewise with the Remus. You would buy those based on construction quality alone. The lifetime warranty is a bonus if you can get it.

The way I look at it, the Vorsteiner is built as well or better than any titanium exhaust out there. If you buy a good fitting, top notch construction exhaust, that's the best you can do for yourself. In addition, warranties aren't always what they are cracked up to be either. Say you had a problem with the Gruppe-M which is based in Japan, shipping charges can kill you and most of the time you are better off having it repaired here like that guy who paid $150 to have his brackets fixed. Cheaper than sending it back overseas.
      08-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #48
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
I also have several friends running high quality titanium exhausts like ARC for several years and have not had cracking issues.

Hi res image of the hanger welds below.
Well, I think some of us are more concerned because of living in the Northeast where we hit 90s in the summer and 20s and colder in the winter. Hence, plenty of temp stress on the car and all of its parts......

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #49
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
I said it was inefficient, not efficient. So more zig-zag means a longer pipe and more resistance. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, right?
Its official, I'm friggin blind and retarded, sorry badfish

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #50
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

I know this was probably already covered somewhere, but can you tell me the price and availability of this system? Also how much to install and where should I have it done.

It sounds and looks awesome, I might just go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #51
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
yah im sure. even sound clips arent good enough as much as hearing in person.

wow 38 pounds, that's like the difference in my weight after i take a #2
Group buy. shit, I'll buy one that I can cook falafel off of.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #52
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthatch View Post
I know this was probably already covered somewhere, but can you tell me the price and availability of this system? Also how much to install and where should I have it done.

The price and availability you will have to check with a Vorsteiner dealer. There are several on these forums, JLeviSW is one of my sponsors and they can quote you.

As for install, any competent muffler shop should be able to do it, honestly I think any shop should be able to do it. It's a simple unbolt and bolt on procedure which should take about an hour. Honestly, if I had a lift and a helping hand, I would do it myself. I think the correct procedure is to mount the muffler first, then connect the pipes, then tighten the clamps down. From there you can adjust your tips.
      08-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #53
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
The price and availability you will have to check with a Vorsteiner dealer. There are several on these forums, JLeviSW is one of my sponsors and they can quote you.

As for install, any competent muffler shop should be able to do it, honestly I think any shop should be able to do it. It's a simple unbolt and bolt on procedure which should take about an hour. Honestly, if I had a lift and a helping hand, I would do it myself. I think the correct procedure is to mount the muffler first, then connect the pipes, then tighten the clamps down. From there you can adjust your tips.
I'm in LA, so can you tell me how to contact them? If they sponsor you, might as well through them some business their way.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #54
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthatch View Post

We can set you up with this system from Vorsteiner. Here is a link to the product with pricing information.

Vorsteiner Titanium Sport Exhaust System

We have a shipment coming in 2-3 weeks which is almost presold, the next available shipment would be 8-10.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #55
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
I saw Brad's car a week ago and the Vorsteiner exhaust looks and sounds fantastic. I had a titanium GruppeM exhaust on my old E46 M3 and the quality of the Vorsteiner exhaust appears to be much better. My favorite parts of this exhaust are the adjustable tips, hidden muffler, and the sound, which is a good bit louder than stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #56
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Badfish, Your car looks Insane Bro! Wow The Exhaust is Very Nice!! Sounds Great!
I would've deffinatly considerd that If I wasnt Getting the Dixis Ti but its never to late. LOL!!!
even though i have the Dixis on my E46 m3.(I have the Rouge 76mm Version, No problems 2 yrs)

Congrats on the Exhaust! My M3 and your M3 are gonna be Brothers when Im finsihed with it...
Same Vorsteiner Parts...

Congrats Again! Cant stop watching the Vids!!!!

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #57
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Can anyone tell me if titanium exhausts tend to be more prone to the elements? I live in Seattle and it obviously rains here all the time. I am mostly concerned with corrosion and if the welds would be adversely affected by a wet climate? As for temps lows in the winter are usually around 35-40 and highs in the summer around 75-80...so not a huge spread in temps like the rest of the country (a good thing!).
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #58
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

I love Titanium!
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #59
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
The piping is much straighter than the zig-zag OEM piping. Huge improvement in design. I wish I had side by side pictures to show you but I don't. Wait for the Vorsteiner official release...
I don't see how the piping is straighter than OEM based on a pic you posted earlier. The initial part of the VS pipe is long and straight, but that's because the stock muffler is so huge. The bends are still there and look similar to me. I'm still considering getting this though.

Name:  VS exhaust.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  35.8 KB
Name:  M3 Undercarriage.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  144.6 KB
      08-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #60
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I don't see how the piping is straighter than OEM based on a pic you posted earlier. The initial part of the VS pipe is long and straight, but that's because the stock muffler is so huge. The bends are still there and look similar to me. I'm still considering getting this though.
Hey Lucid, that picture you linked is a picture of the first exhaust. The piping follows the OEM design and the bends are near 90 degree angles. The 2nd revision which I have on my car now has much straighter pipes. I'm posting up a larger picture below to show you though I don't have a shot from underneath yet. You can see how in the OEM picture you posted, the exhaust goes out and then comes back in before it goes to the muffler. Also that initial bend it takes to clear the differential is less.

08-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #61
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Hey Lucid, that picture you linked is a picture of the first exhaust. The piping follows the OEM design and the bends are near 90 degree angles. The 2nd revision which I have on my car now has much straighter pipes. I'm posting up a larger picture below to show you though I don't have a shot from underneath yet. You can see how in the OEM picture you posted, the exhaust goes out and then comes back in before it goes to the muffler. Also that initial bend it takes to clear the differential is less.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I kind of thought I was missing something here. I understand why the first bend is there in the stock setup (seems like suspension interference), but not the second bend. I wonder if that has to do with obtaining proper backpressure, or getting the pipers away from the diff housing for airflow/cooling...

Have you done dyno testing to study the gains? And I am assuming the exhaust does not require the VS diffuser for a proper fit?
      08-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #62
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I kind of thought I was missing something here. Have you done dyno testing to study the gains? And I am assuming the exhaust does not require the VS diffuser for a proper fit?
I don't have any dynos on my car yet. It's difficult because the OEM exhaust is now hacked up and I don't have a good baseline to compare to. The Vorsteiner diffuser is not required for this exhaust to fit properly as it really doesn't affect exhaust fitment at all.
      08-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #63
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Do you think the OEM routing (extra bend) is to reduce the amount of heat around the diff? When you look at the stock vs. the latest Ti design (photo of your car), the pipes bend in and then stay next to the diff and then bend towards the center. That means the diff is going to be surrounded by exhaust pipes and there will be more heat in that area.

Last edited by knifegun; 08-25-2008 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 01:50 AM   #64
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

nice!!!
      08-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #65
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Anyone have any thoughts about additional heat the routing may produce in the diff area?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #66
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great vids
Appreciate 0