BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
you must be joking or never own/saw an e46 m3 before. it is hands down better looking than the entire audi line up right now. bull dog stance is not boring my friend.

you do realize many manufacturers are copying the aggressive stance of the e46 m3 today right, isf, s5, g35 coupe. notice they all have similar stance.

I agree that I'm not atract to the 1, regular 3 series, etc. but let be real on which one look good.

e46 m3 - very good looking and still looking good until today
e9x m3 - very good looking albeit some hater can't accept it
s5 - very good looking, but you will get bored of it look very fast.
r8 - very good looking, but you will get bored of it look very fast.
x6 - very good looking, but some may not like it
z4m coupe - very good looking and it would stand the test of time for sure

everything else in audi or bmw line up may look good, but not very good up to the standard of those I mentioned above.
Not all Audis look great, the latest A3 is not Audi's finest hour but the TT, both old and new look timeless but only the standard versions. The Z4 is a decent looking car, even better with the new model and the same is true for the 5 series but the 6 and 7 are plain ugly, it's here in the big cars that Audi's design looks it's best.

Now I can't agree that the S5 will age badly, it's one of their modern designs that I think will do the opposite, unlike the A4 which doesn't sit well as a saloon though thankfully looks amazing as an Avant.

And now the 3 series, it's BMW's bread and butter so it's the least radical of all their designs and while it's not overly exciting to look at it should stand the test of time well. It's familiar like an old coat and even a complete non-car people would instantly know it was a BMW and a 3 series. One area that BMW really need to sharpen their pencil is on interior flair, all the recent one are lacking some excitement, sorry I forgot, exclude the Z4 in that statement it is exceptional this time round.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
With a simple flash the S4 can take on you M3 guys up to about 120 or so.
      10-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #25
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post

Audi is so far ahead of bmw on this front that its almost unfair to compare.

Interior's.

Audi > BMW > Merc.

That being said, the Z4 M is imo the best looking car from either company since bmw made the 507.
Yeah, the new Z4 is something special. Shame they decided to move away from competing with the Cayman because now this one have the looks to win sales for Porsche. But no doubt BMW's decision was the right one because most of these cars are owned by women in California and driven at a walking pace.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #26
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Yeah, the new Z4 is something special. Shame they decided to move away from competing with the Cayman because now this one have the looks to win sales for Porsche. But no doubt BMW's decision was the right one because most of these cars are owned by women in California and driven at a walking pace.
The Z4 had so much potential, I'm disappointed that it turned out to be such a pig in reviews.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #27
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
One of my best friends has one. Its nice in the same way an Audi is nice... Its subtle.

But (shocker... you own one) your crazy to think its better looking than half the Audi's on sale right now.

And btw... I've never heard of anyone even call the old M3 a great looking car, let alone try to copy the design. The closest thing to it is the 135i... and we all know how that turned out.
How on earth would anyone think the the closest thing to the e46 m3 is the 135i. wow is all I have to say. Clearly any more opinion from you just doesn't have any merit.

it's like saying the a3 is the closest thing to the S5. lol

I own one because before making my decision to purchase it, I looked at all other car including all your belove audi in it price range and nothing come close. does that make sense?

if audi makes more exciting car, i would buy it in a heart beat. Sadly, it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
graider
Colonel
Rep

you mean they both look red? LOL

other than they are made by bmw which obviously need to have some design trait carry over, I'm not sure how you say the m3 and the 1 series looks the closet. need to get your eye check badly.

this is my car, all stock. please show me a pic of the 135i that look even remotely close to it. the one you posted is not stock and has an aftermarket front splitter which make it a lil similar to the 1, but they are not even close anyway. the angle of the shot, color make it a little similar. but they are still not similar in the look level unless your eye loose the ability to differentiate cars in general.

if you post the front end of a red s5 to an a5 or a4, a3, i'm sure they looks 90% the same. LOL but that is to be expect since they came from the same manufacture.

that's why no one say the e46 m3 is ugly, but many can't get over the look of the 1. you are the first person that said the e46 m3 is ugly. but whatever it really doesn't matter.

car can look a little similar, but doesn't mean you can't tell which one look better. e.g pontiac has the similar grill that resemblance bmw, but their cars look crab.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #29
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
you must be joking or never own/saw an e46 m3 before. it is hands down better looking than the entire audi line up right now. bull dog stance is not boring my friend.

you do realize many manufacturers are copying the aggressive stance of the e46 m3 today right, isf, s5, g35 coupe. notice they all have similar stance.

I agree that I'm not atract to the 1, regular 3 series, etc. but let be real on which one look good.

everything else in audi or bmw line up may look good, but not very good up to the standard of those I mentioned above.

True, I almost can't stand them anymore, hence the M3. I LOVED my S4 though. My fave car of all time (That I've owned). And the 1 series is a great looking car except for its face. Kinda like that butter face thread a few days back. Great car, now all you need is a large brown paper bag....

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #30
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Phoenix yellow is such a rare color. First time ive ever seen a car in that hue.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #31
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
There is similarities between the faces of all quality brands, it helps maintain the image of the entire range to it's highest level, making the guy buying the basic model feel as good as the guy in the dearest. The 135i M/Sport does look uncannily like the E46 M3 though, maybe that was meant because to many people the 135i is closer in philosophy to that model than the E92 M3 is.

I'm not a fan of being too similar and sadly Mercedes and Audi it appear are going that way if the latest spy shots of the A8 end up to be true. BMW were that way until Bangle came, if there's one decent thing he did it was to bring subtle differences in all of the models while still maintaining the company image.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #32
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Just mentioning some of the design catastrophes that BMW have committed in the last couple years and I get some smart ass owner who bought the damn thing all over me.

So, yes.

Anyways this thread is about the S4. Personally I think the S5 is one of the best looking cars out there right now, the S4 didn't quite inherit its curves but the little touches make it look nice.
Wow, only took you 8 posts to mention something about the S4 instead of how ugly every BMW ever made is.

Now on to my actual question...

I googled the 2010 S4 last night and saw some articles saying that MTM got almost an extra 100hp (430hp total) with just an ecu flash. Does anyone know if there is substantiated proof of this? Not sure how they got that much power off a supercharged engine without swapping pulleys.

May have to take a look at one of these in 3-4 years if I start feeling like I need a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I never said the E46 was ugly... I never saw pictures of your car before now

anyways I think your nuts. The 135i and M3 have the same hood design, same headlight design , same grill, same lower grill... If your looking at both of those cars head on they would look design-wise Identical. If another company had made that they would have been sued by BMW.
hehe, you said the e46 m3 was decent design but boring. I'm sure many would disagree and it is much better looking than the 135. I get people be it kid, teen, girl, old women, man, whatever ask me or show interest in it everytime, so real world experience show exactly the opposite of what you stated. I'm sure nobody would bother if you are in an s4. that just show the m3 is extremely exciting even it is out for 7 years now.

i'm sure nobody would mistake an e46 m3 for a 135i. they are that much different even there is of course some resemblance. btw, the headlight is not the same. you can tell by looking at your pic. if anything, i think the headlight of the 1 look like the e9x 3 series sedan.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #34
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

anyways I think your nuts. The 135i and M3 have the same hood design, same headlight design , same grill, same lower grill... If your looking at both of those cars head on they would look design-wise Identical. If another company had made that they would have been sued by BMW.
here is a better pic of the 135, i can't see anything close to the good look of the m3 frond end. lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #35
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
um..ok let's just forget about it. we both know the e46 m3 is the best. /thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #36
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
um..ok let's just forget about it. we both know the e46 m3 is the best. /thread.
+1

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #37
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:

No they don't. The headlights for one look completely different. The M3 is more low and square while the 1 is a little pudgier and softer around the edges.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #38
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Wow, only took you 8 posts to mention something about the S4 instead of how ugly every BMW ever made is.

Now on to my actual question...

I googled the 2010 S4 last night and saw some articles saying that MTM got almost an extra 100hp (430hp total) with just an ecu flash. Does anyone know if there is substantiated proof of this? Not sure how they got that much power off a supercharged engine without swapping pulleys.

May have to take a look at one of these in 3-4 years if I start feeling like I need a sedan.
Yes for sure it's without a pulley change but it does have an exhaust swap. It also comes with full warranty from MTM but is costly at the moment, approx €3500.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #39
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Quote:

I think it is pretty obvious you are biased towards the E46 M3. I really can't take this response seriously since you own one. I mean, yes it looks great, but a GODDAMN R8? Can you really get bored looking at an R8? I see M3s at every corner, and while it does not mean they become less good looking, it becomes kind of tiring. The car looks good, but not as good as you make it up to be. Obviously you are going to disagree with me, but comparing your design with the R8 and calling it boring? I've seen enough E46 M3s to get tired of them. I notice them, but it isn't drop dead gorgeous. Also, how can you possible say you'd get tired of looking at the S5 or R8? Unless you have owned either for extended periods of time, I don't understand the logic behind that comment. But this is a BMW forum, lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #40
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Yes for sure it's without a pulley change but it does have an exhaust swap. It also comes with full warranty from MTM but is costly at the moment, approx €3500.
That's actually pretty damn cheap considering it's 100hp with warranty and if it includes an exhaust. People on this forum are just a little spoiled for how cheap it is to make power on the N54.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #41
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
[/B]
I think it is pretty obvious you are biased towards the E46 M3. I really can't take this response seriously since you own one. I mean, yes it looks great, but a GODDAMN R8? Can you really get bored looking at an R8? I see M3s at every corner, and while it does not mean they become less good looking, it becomes kind of tiring. The car looks good, but not as good as you make it up to be. Obviously you are going to disagree with me, but comparing your design with the R8 and calling it boring? I've seen enough E46 M3s to get tired of them. I notice them, but it isn't drop dead gorgeous. Also, how can you possible say you'd get tired of looking at the S5 or R8? Unless you have owned either for extended periods of time, I don't understand the logic behind that comment. But this is a BMW forum, lol
somehow I do bro. there is a grey r8 v8 park in my building everyday. lol. I don't even care to look at it anymore. it just doesn't have that aggressiveness. more like round and softness which I'm not attract to. if you like the tt, you will like the r8. if you don't like the tt, then you won't like the r8 that much either. i'm in the latter group.

as for the s5. it got lot of hype at first, but now i think it is boring every time i see one. I see them around lot already.

I own one doesn't mean I can't tell which one look good or not. If the audi look good and stand the test of time, i will buy it too. why not right? the point is they don't IMO.

I'm talking about real life observation, not staring at pics on the computer as they don't reflect the trueness of how the car impress you in real life.

the logic of "if you own the car, then you bias toward it" is getting kinda old, don't you think?

as far as two seater is concerned, I think the c6 z06 and gt3 shape are more exciting to look at than the r8 and I'm still not bored of them yet even I see them quite a few time too. Just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #42
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think your nuts, the R8 is GORGEOUS.
not sure why, but to me it looks more like a more expensive version of the tt-rs. not something I would buy. but again it is just my opinion and you have yours too. so it is all good.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #43
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

The S5 and R8 are two of the most gorgeous cars on the road right now graider. I have to kindly disagree.

That being said, I think the E46 M3 still looks good too.

The 1-Series is... very homely.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #44
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
not sure why, but to me it looks more like a more expensive version of the tt-rs. not something I would buy. but again it is just my opinion and you have yours too. so it is all good.
Now you are joking, when you park both cars side by side then the similarity goes, the R8 is in a different league on presence. I would seriously doubt anyone would look sideways at any BMW, Vette or Viper if an R8 was parked near by. Only a Porsche would command same kind of respect purely because of what it is.
Appreciate 0