BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

12-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

BMW dealer protection questions ...

Hi Guys,

I'm picking my new car soon and the dealer is offering me some protection options:

Appearance Protection Covers: $1465
- repair of chips on withshield (filled) and 1 winshield replacement in case the windshield cracks.
- Paintless dent repair (when the paint is not damaged)
- Lost damaged key replacement
- Interior Food and Drink damage on seats/carpet

BMW Rim and Tire Protection $1500
- Covers damaged rims and tires. Tires will be replaced for new ones if they are punctured, even though they are not run-flats. The good thing is that BMW will cover BMW winter rim/tire even when its not purchased through the dealer - which I have already.

What are you opinions on this?
Has anyone found the protection packages to be worth it?

Thanks,
Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

I personally have never gone for these with any of my cars. I know people who have sworn by the wheel protection etc. I have to say in all the new cars that I have owned I am not sure that I would have capitalized on any of these (with the exception of a windshield). So with that and even replacing the windshield on my own dime, I am way ahead of the game.
Its your car - do whatever you think you feel comfortable with. Some people just sleep better at night knowing they are covered.
Enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

See, BMW "replaces" tires in their "Rim and Tire" package .... I have never bought a tire for my 535 in the 72,000 driven. I heard that the M3 tires wear out faster than most
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'd say no to the tire protection unless your driving style/area results in curb rash on wheels. I'm not sure I completely agree with tire replacemnt for a flat unless they plan on shaving the new tire down to the diameter of the others. Otherwise, you're probably on the hook for a matching tire unless your tires are near new. Turns a $20 fix into $400 and two new tires.

As far as the windsheild is concerned, think back into your driving history and see if you will get your monies worth. It is a case-by-case thing, but you have to remember, BMW wouldn't be offering these services if they didn't come out on top in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
I think the first one is really not worth it, personally.

The second one is the one I've seen some people buy. I took it myself, but only after they lowered the price to 850 or something.... but that's for the 335i. I would check the price of replacement tires for the M3 and multiply it by the number of times I think I will get a flat.

I will probably not bother this time. I've actually never had a flat in all my years of driving (just watch, I'll decline it and then bam!, I'll get 3 flats in a row!)

They offer these warranties with such enthusiasm because the insurance company makes money off of them and they make money off of them... Statistically, chances are it won't be worth your money.
      12-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

Its true about new tires being paired up with old ones. My 535 would show nervous behairviour on roads with worn out tire groves. However, I can't see how BMW came out on top on my last deal (535xi). Mind you the tires were runflats, and I replaced 6 or 8 tires through BMW ... can't recall. At $560 (list) each my tire protection really worked for me.

Also, in my last 3 years of driving between two cars I got 4 stone chips in the windshield. But stone chips would only be "filled in".

I'm leaning towards NO, but I am stilll considering.
Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

Behavior don't know what happened there
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Unless you live in a town with a dealer, don't even waste your $ on the tire and rim coverage. The bloody headache a friend went thru to get two tires replaced was so not worth it.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep

we have more than 5 dealers in a 20km radius. I have a dealer 7min drive from me. What headaches?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I've had quite a few clients go with tire and rim; some use it a lot (gues with 230 style wheels on 335s seemed to have quite a few bends), but others never use it... I guess it's a crap shoot on that one. I might take it if I could get them to drop the price a little. If I am not mistaken it isn't actually through BMW, so in the event of a dispute I think you end up dealing with a third party.

The windshield one seems really odd to me; you cam get all of the stuff listed done multiple times over for quite a bit less money (except maybe the key replacement).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
First M
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Blk/Blk M3

Rims and tires insurance might make sense

My dealer offered rim and tire insurance but for 2k (also included repairing curb rash) so maybe that is why it cost more.

Anyway I did not get it and well just 1500 kms in I had a flat $500 to fix so far plus some curb rash ( I assume 200 to fix)

Plus the fact that they cover non dealer tires that is great, mine did not so that is mainly why I did not get the ins .. But if they did I am sure i would have.. I have a feeling I will destroy a few more tires along the way!

Either way, enjoy the new toy!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm picking my new car soon and the dealer is offering me some protection options:

- repair of chips on withshield (filled) and 1 winshield replacement in case the windshield cracks.

- Covers damaged rims and tires. Tires will be replaced for new ones if they are punctured, even though they are not run-flats. The good thing is that BMW will cover BMW winter rim/tire even when its not purchased through the dealer - which I have already.

Thanks,
Andy
I just got the tire and rim protection though I'm somewhat regretting it as I'm not sure I'll make enough claims to recoup the cost.

Note, they do not cover non-OEM wheels (at least BMW Toronto will not).

Also, don't pay $1,500. The business manager at the dealership definitely has room to give on the price as there is a mark-up.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
High mark-up

As others have said, the tire package may make sense if roads are bad in your area.

Generally speaking, these "packages" have replaced undercoating and paint protection (a.k.a. wax) as a high mark-up dealer option.

When I bought my Z4, after signing the paperwork I was invited to the "business manager's" office. I guess he got me on a bad day. I was paying cash so there was no need to discuss financing. He started to pitch a "protection package" since convertible tops were notoriously unreliable. I stood up and said that if that was his advice about the Z4, I was very appreciative of his knowledgeable counsel. Clearly the Z4 was not "fit for the purpose" and under the Sale of Goods Act I intended to rescind the contract. I thought that he was going to loose his lunch as I walked into the owner's office and closed the door.

I know the owner well and explained what had happened. She was not happy at all, and decided not to charge me for the lighted door sills that I had installed. Seven years later the soft top still works. I ordered my M3 through her dealership. There is no more "business manager" at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
As others have said, the tire package may make sense if roads are bad in your area.

Generally speaking, these "packages" have replaced undercoating and paint protection (a.k.a. wax) as a high mark-up dealer option.

When I bought my Z4, after signing the paperwork I was invited to the "business manager's" office. I guess he got me on a bad day. I was paying cash so there was no need to discuss financing. He started to pitch a "protection package" since convertible tops were notoriously unreliable. I stood up and said that if that was his advice about the Z4, I was very appreciative of his knowledgeable counsel. Clearly the Z4 was not "fit for the purpose" and under the Sale of Goods Act I intended to rescind the contract. I thought that he was going to loose his lunch as I walked into the owner's office and closed the door.

I know the owner well and explained what had happened. She was not happy at all, and decided not to charge me for the lighted door sills that I had installed. Seven years later the soft top still works. I ordered my M3 through her dealership. There is no more "business manager" at the dealership.
Cool story.

I'm sure I'll have to keep saying "no" several times.
      12-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Iplayedmyself
drive fast, live dangerously
United_States
Rep
Drives: was-08 e90 335xi, now-08 e90m3

My input on this, i have had 5 cars before i bought my m3 which is now my 6th car(work with me theres a point not just bragging i promise). On 4 of the 5 cars never had a tires or rim problem ever! except for normal wear and tear that was either a replacement situation due to normal wear. I bought my first bmw which was an e90 335xi and got offered the wheel tire package, and of course because of past experience i passed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
Iplayedmyself
United_States
Rep

needless to say it would have helped. but shortly after i picked up my m3 and still didnt buy the package cuz its a once in a life time mishap, hopefully!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #17
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

WTF did you hit?
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
Iplayedmyself
United_States
Rep

i had just passed the toll plaza going into staten island literally 35 mph, and i hit a manhole that sunk about a foot into the ground and spread about 2 feet in diameter, i think small children r still stranded in that hole lol
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #19
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Check Legislation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayedmyself View Post
i had just passed the toll plaza going into staten island literally 35 mph, and i hit a manhole that sunk about a foot into the ground and spread about 2 feet in diameter, i think small children r still stranded in that hole lol
Check your local legislation, in some jurisdictions you have a very short period of time to report this to the State/Province/County/Municipality. If you do so in a timely manner (can be as short as 2 weeks - to encourage reporting so that others do not suffer the same fate) the owner of the road is 100% responsible for the cost of the repair to your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #20
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Check your local legislation, in some jurisdictions you have a very short period of time to report this to the State/Province/County/Municipality. If you do so in a timely manner (can be as short as 2 weeks - to encourage reporting so that others do not suffer the same fate) the owner of the road is 100% responsible for the cost of the repair to your vehicle.
He mentioned that he has since traded into an M3 so I am guessing it occurred more than 2 weeks ago. I am sure the RFT tires didn't help the situation either.

That's is some serious wheel damage!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Andy
I live in Toronto and bought both packages. I got the tire protection because I lost 2 rims on my previous car due to Toronto's crap roads and failure to promptly fill potholes. I just took delivery in July and have already had one tire replaced under warranty due to a screw in it. Replacement was fast, painless and cost nothing.

I got the appearance protection package because it also covers windshields, coverage which my insurance does not have due to a high deductible.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #22
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I live in Toronto and bought both packages. I got the tire protection because I lost 2 rims on my previous car due to Toronto's crap roads and failure to promptly fill potholes. I just took delivery in July and have already had one tire replaced under warranty due to a screw in it. Replacement was fast, painless and cost nothing.

I got the appearance protection package because it also covers windshields, coverage which my insurance does not have due to a high deductible.
I got the tire protection but do not pay $1500 for it. They definitely have room to give you a discount.

(I also got it due to Toronto's, particularly downtown Toronto's, crap roads, made even crappier because of the 23,425,520 condos being built)
Appreciate 0