BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
VVA330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Street Race killed 7 people in MD

Dammm!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/16/dra....ap/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
ironjw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
first shooting in school ... and now this!! RIP
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I feel bad for the injured and dead. But you have to question some of these families. The story interviews a 27 year old woman who brought her child to the street race. She had to pull her child out of the way to not be hurt. Her 61 year old father was killed watching the illegal street race. What kind of family brings 3 generations to watch an illegal street race? No one should have died but what are these parents teaching their kids - 'this is cool and its okay to illegally race on the street'.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
I feel bad for the injured and dead. But you have to question some of these families. The story interviews a 27 year old woman who brought her child to the street race. She had to pull her child out of the way to not be hurt. Her 61 year old father was killed watching the illegal street race. What kind of family brings 3 generations to watch an illegal street race? No one should have died but what are these parents teaching their kids - 'this is cool and its okay to illegally race on the street'.

+1 condolences goes out to that family but come on?

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Oh that kind of killed....

I was expecting a video of you beating 7 other drivers in a race but this is quite different.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
mys_iii
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
It looks cool in the Fast & the Furious. The car holds up just fine even with nuts and bolts coming apart. What could go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

I feel bad for their loved ones, but honestly how stupid do you have to be to stand around when cars are whizzing past at 55+ mph in very cold weather.

You can't blame the movies or anything...its physics. 2 tons of car vs. some humans. People just don't think about the consequences, and our insurance premiums go up because of that.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
mys_iii
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
I feel bad for their loved ones, but honestly how stupid do you have to be to stand around when cars are whizzing past at 55+ mph in very cold weather.

You can't blame the movies or anything...its physics. 2 tons of car vs. some humans. People just don't think about the consequences, and our insurance premiums go up because of that.
I wasn't trying to blame the movies. I was just trying to point out people's ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 | 09 Accord V6 EXL

kind of unrelated, but why is it that at every scene similar to this EVERY cop car, fire truck, ambulance, etc has to have their strobes going? i'd break out into a seisure
      02-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
NovaBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 325i 6MT

Crap thats crazy
      02-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
I'm sorry...but that's just Darwin at work right there...My condolences to the families, but that's what you risk when you stand in a large crowd on the side of the road without any kind of professional involvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Wait a minute, a mom with her child and father, two cars street racing, and a random car with no lights on at night hits em? I'm confused?

That story is written horribly. Was it one of the street racers that hit the crowd? Or was it some random jack ass without lights on at night (wtf is up with that anyways) that hit em?

Either way, I'm sorry and frustrated at the same time. People need to be smarter, that's just an inconvenient truth of life.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
on top of the other things mentioned, IT WAS 3:40AM!!! What the fuck people???!!!

Parenting in this world has just gone to shit. I feel bad for the families that have to deal with this mess and hope they're smart enough to play a role in helping others learn from this.

First the M5 story now this. As far as I'm concerned any threads on street racing should be banned from the forum. This kind of crap has to stop and I know that's not going to do it but we have to start somewhere. People have to learn that shit like that (by that I mean, unprofessional, unsupervised i.e. track officals not present, safety teams, etc.) isn't cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
SunnyBoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
on top of the other things mentioned, IT WAS 3:40AM!!! What the fuck people???!!!

Parenting in this world has just gone to shit. I feel bad for the families that have to deal with this mess and hope they're smart enough to play a role in helping others learn from this.

First the M5 story now this. As far as I'm concerned any threads on street racing should be banned from the forum. This kind of crap has to stop and I know that's not going to do it but we have to start somewhere. People have to learn that shit like that (by that I mean, unprofessional, unsupervised i.e. track officals not present, safety teams, etc.) isn't cool.
I really feel bad for the dead, but I have to agree with ^^^...................
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Wait a minute, a mom with her child and father, two cars street racing, and a random car with no lights on at night hits em? I'm confused?

That story is written horribly. Was it one of the street racers that hit the crowd? Or was it some random jack ass without lights on at night (wtf is up with that anyways) that hit em?

Either way, I'm sorry and frustrated at the same time. People need to be smarter, that's just an inconvenient truth of life.
http://www.charlotte.com/news/ap_news/story/496053.html

Apparently, some drunk guy with his headlights off, who wasn't street racing, hit the crowd.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
damn that is pretty sad...
      02-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
This is just retarded. I'm not a proponent for street racing and upon reading the title I expected to say "Morons, get on the track instead of killing people." But no, I had to say, "what kind of idiot gathers in a group to WATCH some random street race." Oh! And WHO PLOWS INTO A CROWD!" Honestly, the street racers aren't at fault here. The story should be titled, "Drunk driving strikes again!"
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
Xiaofeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007.5 E90 335xi Montego/Lemon

Garage List
2007 E90 335xi  [0.00]
1991 325iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
http://www.charlotte.com/news/ap_news/story/496053.html

Apparently, some drunk guy with his headlights off, who wasn't street racing, hit the crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
This is just retarded. I'm not a proponent for street racing and upon reading the title I expected to say "Morons, get on the track instead of killing people." But no, I had to say, "what kind of idiot gathers in a group to WATCH some random street race." Oh! And WHO PLOWS INTO A CROWD!" Honestly, the street racers aren't at fault here. The story should be titled, "Drunk driving strikes again!"
Um, you guys might want to double check the article there. Not trying to be the Devil's advocate here, but no where in the article did it state that the guy who drove into the crowd was drunk. Apparently, the drag racers were burning out their tires and kicking up a lot of smoke, and when they took off, the crowd then "...moved into the road to watch the cars drive away." So it sounds like it was actually the racers that indirectly caused the deaths of many of these people.

That said, these idiots standing out in the middle of the street watching a drag race, in the midst of a cloud of tire smoke no less, were just as much at fault as anyone else. The only person that said the car which plowed into the crowd didn't have its headlights on was the 27 year old mom herself. I find her story a bit dubious, as she obviously had time to get her child out of harms way. Plus it's pretty hard to see anything when it's coming at you from behind, especially if there are no lights. Let's just say I find her story a bit suspicious.

But all in all, it's a shame to see so many people get hurt and killed over stupid $#!+ like this. If you want to race, go to the fuggin' track, plain and simple.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Thats sad!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
VVA330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Ditto!

Read the article like 3 times and still didn't really get it. Either way 7 dead people totally senseless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #21
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
mmm i hope the guy who ran them over doesn't go to jail. kinda isn't his fault if people ran onto the road... not much you can do when theres 50 of them not even facing your direction.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
First of all there is no mention of the driver being drunk. Police are saying that because of all the thick smoke created by the drivers who were racing, the driver of the car that hit the crowd probably never saw them until he started hitting people who WERE STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY WATCHING AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE!!

Second, yes there are at fault here. Did they directly hit people, no. But their actions caused the conditions which led to the accident.

Here what happened according to police...

1) 2 cars lined in on the highway at 3:40AM, burned out and took off down the highway leaving a large smoke cloud.
2) Crowd who gathered to watch moves out ONTO THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY to watch the cars speed away.
3) White sedan travelling down the highway comes upon crowd, can't see them because of the smoke and the fact that it's 3:40AM in the morning and it's pitch black out, and hits crowd STANDING THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY WATCHING AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE.

The only people at fault here are the street racers and the dumbasses who STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY TO WATCH AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE AT 3:40AM!!

I feel sorry for the families but this is nothing more then an event involving a group of current and future Darwin award winners.
Appreciate 0