BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What brake cooling setup would you run on your car?
APEX duct only - I'll come up with my own backing plate solution 1 0.65%
APEX duct and backing plate for OEM brakes 113 73.38%
APEX duct and backing plate for a BBK 37 24.03%
My own ducts and APEX backing plates for OEM brakes 2 1.30%
My own ducts and APEX backing plates for a BBK 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

02-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #45
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

If it were me, I'd take some of the SS mesh I use to protect racecar radiators and build a little domed screen for the inlets to keep out the birds and small dogs and whatnot.
      02-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #46
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

my idea is to plug the holes for daily driving and just remove them for the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #47
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Backing plates would be great. Only concern is that with wider wheels/tires, at full steering lock there is virtually no space for the hoses. Race cars get away with this because they hardly ever go full lock in a race (unless you spin out, of course). If there is a solution to address this that would be great

Photo from Checkcaptain's GT4
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #48
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Backing plates would be great. Only concern is that with wider wheels/tires, at full steering lock there is virtually no space for the hoses. Race cars get away with this because they hardly ever go full lock in a race (unless you spin out, of course). If there is a solution to address this that would be great

Photo from Checkcaptain's GT4
We'll have an attachment that makes the hose two pieces. This way you can simply remove the tube that's in the wheel well for those times you don't want it. When you're at the track, you simply hose clamp it back on to the backing plate and attachment point bolted to the fender liner.

This gives users more control on how the kit works for their specific needs. Race cars can leave them on all the time. Daily drivers with 5~ track days a year can remove the hose to prevent street damage. It's just one extra few minute step while changing wheels or before going to the track.
      02-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #49
alefcole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP 6MT Jet black E92

If they don't rub with your Apex 10" front rims from your rims group buy, then I am in for a NEW GROUP BUY for a complete kit.

Thank you for providing useful racing products at affordable prices. You are like "IND/ESS" but for RACING.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #50
alpineweiss
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
my idea is to plug the holes for daily driving and just remove them for the track.
I agree on this.
I drive my car year round in Toronto.
Having something that can cover the hole will help so snow doesn't get in in the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #51
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweiss View Post
I agree on this.
I drive my car year round in Toronto.
Having something that can cover the hole will help so snow doesn't get in in the winter months.
+1, needs to be snow friendly
      02-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #52
OlegE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans E90 M3, 2009 335i

I'm very interested in the full kit (ducting, hose, plates). In an earlier post, you (Apex) mentioned that something could be available before April, do you mean the ducts or do you mean the ducts and the plates (i.e. full kit)?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering pulling the trigger on a StopTech BBK, before this year's season starts (May), but would rather spend the money on your complete kit and some PFC rotors to save on cost.

I have currently warped my stock rotors (no, it's not pad deposits) and go through 1 complete set of Carbotech XP12's in 2 days at Road America. I had no fade, but significant wear on the pads (obviously) and the rotors. So over the long run, I'm pretty much spending as much money as a BBK maintaining the stock setup and hope that with some nicer rotors and your kit I would reduce brake temps and minimize wear on both pads and rotors while not having to spend $2.7K on an ST-40 kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #53
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegE90 View Post
I'm very interested in the full kit (ducting, hose, plates). In an earlier post, you (Apex) mentioned that something could be available before April, do you mean the ducts or do you mean the ducts and the plates (i.e. full kit)?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering pulling the trigger on a StopTech BBK, before this year's season starts (May), but would rather spend the money on your complete kit and some PFC rotors to save on cost.

I have currently warped my stock rotors (no, it's not pad deposits) and go through 1 complete set of Carbotech XP12's in 2 days at Road America. I had no fade, but significant wear on the pads (obviously) and the rotors. So over the long run, I'm pretty much spending as much money as a BBK maintaining the stock setup and hope that with some nicer rotors and your kit I would reduce brake temps and minimize wear on both pads and rotors while not having to spend $2.7K on an ST-40 kit.
Ducts are complete. Only plates need to be completed and those should be much faster. A kit should be available when the snows cleared up

These kits won't have a special block off feature for those in the snow. That will be up to the owner. We would have to do a redesign and new tooling produced if we make a version with a snap on block off plate. I will look into for future production. For now it's a race oriented part.
      02-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #54
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lots of excitement for a good and needed product. Grats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
The plates will be either Aluminum or thinner walled stainless steel. Both forms would be fulled anodized. We haven't made a final call on this yet. We're not looking for feedback on which material to use, as customers instantly assume the aluminum setup would be lighter, but it has to be thicker, and there are heat issues to deal with. We'll be making the martial decision based on what is best for this application as we continue to finalize the part.
Stainless steel can not be anodized by the way... An advantage of it is that it needs no coating. I'm not sure what temperature the plates will reach but do note that aluminum suffers quite a bit in it strength and stiffness as temperatures go up. Stainless will be pricier but is probably the best choice.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #55
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
subscribed very interested
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #56
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

pm me a price for the kit...
      02-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #57
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
pm me a price for the kit...
PM me too if the price is determined
      02-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #58
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
Ducts are complete. Only plates need to be completed and those should be much faster. A kit should be available when the snows cleared up

These kits won't have a special block off feature for those in the snow. That will be up to the owner. We would have to do a redesign and new tooling produced if we make a version with a snap on block off plate. I will look into for future production. For now it's a race oriented part.
snow just cleared up in Chicago. are you thinking within the next 5 weeks? just let me know where to send the check.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #59
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
are you thinking within the next 5 weeks?
That's what we're shooting for. I'll see if I can expedite it even more.
      02-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #60
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

No snow in Hawaii ...
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #61
brizzom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

interested in full kit
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #62
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Lots of excitement for a good and needed product. Grats!

Stainless steel can not be anodized by the way... An advantage of it is that it needs no coating. I'm not sure what temperature the plates will reach but do note that aluminum suffers quite a bit in it strength and stiffness as temperatures go up. Stainless will be pricier but is probably the best choice.
yes not anodized but AL has a much higher heat transfer coefficient and will cool your brakes more efficiently than SS.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #63
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Very interested as well. Will this kit work with a bbk or just oem?
      02-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #64
MetaL1
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Subscribed. I can't wait for these ducts. Add another customer on the list for the full kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #65
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Can you PM me the price? I am local.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #66
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
Very interested as well. Will this kit work with a bbk or just oem?
The backing plates will work with OEM brakes and BBK's. We're looking into making two versions ( have to go back and re-do some measurements). It's possible that one kit will work for both, but from the measurements given to me, there may be the opportunity to optimize for BBK's. We'll post about that when more details are available.

~~~~~~~

Just an FYI guys, this thread is a technical discussion about the product as it develops. As a vendor we are not permitted to discuss pricing in this section of the forum. There will be a thread created in the vendor suspension commercial/classified section once it reaches that point.