BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

06-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

PSC vs A048's

I've never tried PSC's but i do have experience with A048's. Does anyone have experience with both? If so, which tire will last longer? I need an r comp i can drive to the track on so i've rulled out the R1 and R6.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Have you considered RA-1s?
      06-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I am RA1's and have driven them a bit on the street with no real problems.I love them as a track tire as they are quite easy to drive on and have good grip throughout their life.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

I would consider the RA1's... i usually by tires from Tirerack for ease of transaction as the shipping and service is great.

To hold me over until i can decide on a set of track wheels, i purchased a set of AD08's to run on my OEM 18's for Monday's track day at Lime Rock. While i know they won't perform to what i am used to with an r comp, i hope they are a decent compromise.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SG///M3 View Post
I would consider the RA1's... i usually by tires from Tirerack for ease of transaction as the shipping and service is great.

To hold me over until i can decide on a set of track wheels, i purchased a set of AD08's to run on my OEM 18's for Monday's track day at Lime Rock. While i know they won't perform to what i am used to with an r comp, i hope they are a decent compromise.
they certainly don't have the ultimate grip but in terms of behavior, they are very similar to Rcomps, in my experience. They also hold up to temperature very very well, even for SoCal's hot desert tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Personally the two best tires I've driven on that are street legal and are really meant for track duty, are the A048's (medium compound), and the Toyo R888's which I ran on a Holden Australian V8 on the track.

The Toyo's have unbelievable grip, but I think the Yokos pull it off, it's a great tire that we highly suggest, and especially if you get the medium compound, you'll be loving it as well, but also note that the A048 US Spec medium compound is actually considered Japanese spec Hard compound, but that shouldn't make a difference in your decision.

The 888's will go pretty quickly but they don't like a lot of slip angle, that's why I prefer the Yoko A048's, mainly because I like a little slip angle (maybe more than others), mid-corner to exit. The 888's also, if you've got a lot of understeer in the car, will absolutely melt if you push them too hard, so be aware of that, this is mainly because they do not handle the heat very well.

So essentially, the Yokohamas wont be the fastest tire on the road, but they last and last. If you want a short burst of a great tire, the R888's are good, but if you push them too hard, you'll just go off.

Hopefully that bit of info helps out
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
Personally the two best tires I've driven on that are street legal and are really meant for track duty, are the A048's (medium compound), and the Toyo R888's which I ran on a Holden Australian V8 on the track.

The Toyo's have unbelievable grip, but I think the Yokos pull it off, it's a great tire that we highly suggest, and especially if you get the medium compound, you'll be loving it as well, but also note that the A048 US Spec medium compound is actually considered Japanese spec Hard compound, but that shouldn't make a difference in your decision.

The 888's will go pretty quickly but they don't like a lot of slip angle, that's why I prefer the Yoko A048's, mainly because I like a little slip angle (maybe more than others), mid-corner to exit. The 888's also, if you've got a lot of understeer in the car, will absolutely melt if you push them too hard, so be aware of that, this is mainly because they do not handle the heat very well.

So essentially, the Yokohamas wont be the fastest tire on the road, but they last and last. If you want a short burst of a great tire, the R888's are good, but if you push them too hard, you'll just go off.

Hopefully that bit of info helps out
You must have been on different 888's than I had.They are total shite on a heavy moderatly powered car.I was talking to one of my techs who crews on on a WC GT3 and he was telling me that the 888's are only lasting about 40% of the life of a RA1 and are a setup nightmare.Here is a pic of my 888's after only 3 hours of use.I get about 15 hours out of my RA1's and the car works so much better than it ever did on 888's.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
You must have been on different 888's than I had.They are total shite on a heavy moderatly powered car.I was talking to one of my techs who crews on on a WC GT3 and he was telling me that the 888's are only lasting about 40% of the life of a RA1 and are a setup nightmare.Here is a pic of my 888's after only 3 hours of use.I get about 15 hours out of my RA1's and the car works so much better than it ever did on 888's.

They were actually my rain tires on the Holden Australian V8 I was racing. So they actually lasted decently, but I also mentioned that if you run them hard like you should, they do in fact go very quickly.

Once I did use them on the same car in the dry, pushing about 625HP (approx), yeah they go EXTREMELY quick. My rears in the dry were done in about 2 hours or so from being in the wet, then moving to the dry once th track cleared up.
Appreciate 0