BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

10-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

ZR1 vs. GT-R

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mC-PQca6FJU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mC-PQca6FJU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

good job GM
      10-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

For all those who believe all of the GT-Rs track performance is from its UFO like handling here we see it getting trounced on both the slalom and skidpad.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
WOW very awesome job Nissan!!!! wow very impressive.... but more WOW's to GM for this masterpiece!!!!

GM's victory here doesnt by any means suggest Nissan didnt do a great job on the GTR!

edit: Nissan got a small block V6, turbo'd it and tuned it and got an awesome car to match the Z06. GM got the Z06, FI'd it and tuned it and got something nice. I'd like to see the ZR1 with ACR tho... i hate when people go "unbeatable" and all that bullshit! fuck you edmunds, race that with McLaren F1 or CCX-R and tell me who's unbeatable lol

didnt the ACR beat the ZR1 on N'Ring?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
For all those who believe all of the GT-Rs track performance is from its UFO like handling here we see it getting trounced on both the slalom and skidpad.
Don't read to much into the slalom or skidpad results. First slalom is something that usually doesn't go well for awd cars, plus you have to consider that the GTR got hellish close to the ZR1 yet weighed considerably more, it me that is some achievement.

Second skidpad figures do not prove cornering ability, the actual speed through a corner is the only thing which matters and due to the way awd car shuffle the power means they can produce less Gs but equally as quick cornering speed.

The most interesting thing on the lap with the way the two cars behaved, the GTR was ultra stabled and composed, while the ZR1 was very twitchy which they commented on and this is a smooth track and nothing like the rough and bumpy surface that makes up the ring.

P.S.
I don't want another 100 post back and forth on this, only highlighting what I know. There is no doubt the ZR1 is an amazing machine, like it's lapped the ring within a whisker of the ACR which I regard as a race car with road plates and generates real downforce.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

The final scene was pretty funny with the ZR1 doing a burnout circle around the GTR.
      10-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Second skidpad figures do not prove cornering ability, the actual speed through a corner is the only thing which matters and due to the way awd car shuffle the power means they can produce less Gs but equally as quick cornering speed.
This is incorrect, period. Like I posted in the other thread cornering g and speed are one and the same. For any object, planet or car, traveling in an arc that is closely/locally a section of a circle (and any line/curve can be nearly perfectly approximated in this way):

g force = speed^2/(radius x gravity constant)

Cornering g force and speed absolutely are locked in and related in this fashion. Understanding cars in detail requires and understanding of basic science.

So again I am not saying you can predict real world track corner g force from the skidpad values on a different radius and different speed. What I am saying is that you can not take two vehicles and have one corner faster but produce less g force in the same corner with the same line!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is incorrect, period. Like I posted in the other thread cornering g and speed are one and the same. For any object, planet or car, traveling in an arc that is closely/locally a section of a circle (and any line/curve can be nearly perfectly approximated in this way):

g force = speed^2/(radius x gravity constant)

Cornering g force and speed absolutely are locked in and related in this fashion. Understanding cars in detail requires and understanding of basic science.

So again I am not saying you can predict real world track corner g force from the skidpad values on a different radius and different speed. What I am saying is that you can not take two vehicles and have one corner faster but produce less g force in the same corner with the same line!
You seem to be ignoring the example I showed you in the other thread.

Quote:
Flugplatz
Enzo 100.3mph G Force 1.56 - CXX 104.0mph G Force 1.39
Either this was recorded in the Bermuda triangle where logical physics goes out the window or EVO had a typo, which I doubt.

The other examples show how speed and Lateral Gs can differ, the Enzo and CXX recording the same Gs reading through Hohe Acht, but differ in speed by 2.4mph and through Brunnchen where the speeds were all but identical yet the G figures were again different for each other.

Quote:
Hohe Acht
Enzo 66.9mph G Force 1.52 - CXX 69.3mph G Force 1.53

Brunnchen
Enzo 65.7mph G Force 1.46 - CXX 65.9mph G Force 1.52
As I said speed through a corner is a better gauge of handling ability than G figures.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You seem to be ignoring the example I showed you in the other thread.

Either this was recorded in the Bermuda triangle where logical physics goes out the window or EVO had a typo, which I doubt.

The other examples show how speed and Lateral Gs can differ, the Enzo and CXX recording the same Gs reading through Hohe Acht, but differ in speed by 2.4mph and through Brunnchen where the speeds were all but identical yet the G figures were again different for each other.

As I said speed through a corner is a better gauge of handling ability than G figures.
There are a plethora of other possbilities that don't require breaking the laws of physics which simply are not broken. Pretty soon you are going to tell me someone has accelerated a particle faster than the speed of light and you have a measurement to prove it. You just don't seem to get it that some things really are absolute. Like any situation where something like this occurs it is obvious that the two sides/langauages/results are not entirely on the same page. The possibilities include:

1. The measurements are not instantaneous, perhaps averaged over a short section.
2. The cars used different lines, hence different radii.
3. The accelerometers were not accurately calibrated.
4. The cars were accelerating tangentially while cornering (i.e. a corner at constant speed is still accelerating, what I mean is that the speedo was also changing).
5. The turns are banked confounding the measurement process.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
AParsh335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC / M5

As mentioned previously, the GTR competes with the Z06, not the ZR1.

The new GTR V-Spec out next year can blow away the ZR1 .

V-spec: almost completely carbon fiber for estimated 400lbs less, no back seats, more boost to around 520+horsepower. Do the math.
2016 Pure Metal M5
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
There are a plethora of other possbilities that don't require breaking the laws of physics which simply are not broken. Pretty soon you are going to tell me someone has accelerated a particle faster than the speed of light and you have a measurement to prove it. You just don't seem to get it that some things really are absolute. Like any situation where something like this occurs it is obvious that the two sides/langauages/results are not entirely on the same page. The possibilities include:

1. The measurements are not instantaneous, perhaps averaged over a short section.
2. The cars used different lines, hence different radii.
3. The accelerometers were not accurately calibrated.
4. The cars were accelerating tangentially while cornering (i.e. a corner at constant speed is still accelerating, what I mean is that the speedo was also changing).
5. The turns are banked confounding the measurement process.
I would add that unless the instruments were on constant-level mounts, then any lean angle difference between the cars will also affect the readings.

As a by-the-way, I don't think you guys are actually disagreeing in the slightest.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I would add that unless the instruments were on constant-level mounts, then any lean angle difference between the cars will also affect the readings.
Yup, that was my point #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
As a by-the-way, I don't think you guys are actually disagreeing in the slightest.
Well we are perhaps closer than total disagreement but I can't see how you can get to not even a slight disagreement. Foot seems to believe they numbers are free to adjust each independently (perhaps even under ideal conditions and based on how many drive wheels in the car).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AParsh335i View Post
As mentioned previously, the GTR competes with the Z06, not the ZR1.
Not when you look at their ring times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AParsh335i View Post
The new GTR V-Spec out next year can blow away the ZR1 .

V-spec: almost completely carbon fiber for estimated 400lbs less, no back seats, more boost to around 520+horsepower. Do the math.
Sure I'll do the math. If it is anywhere as close to as under rated at the regular model that got the 7:29 it will put out about 600 hp and that indeed will be quite a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Now back to the matter in hand, the actual GTR that posted the 7:29. Swamp, I got your reply on my observation and well, what do you think?

I would prefer not to debate on the V-spec, especially with the few thousand posts already on the standard version, with the small exception that I believe the weight won't drop by 400lbs but do believe the power will approach the 600hp point (unofficially).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
M-Maika
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 AW

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
GT-R got smoked.
Nice vid.

Best Regards,
Maika
      10-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
De90man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Major props to GM...RESPECT....but on a twisting road, the ZR-1 wouldn't see which way the GT-R went.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by De90man View Post
Major props to GM...RESPECT....but on a twisting road, the ZR-1 wouldn't see which way the GT-R went.
I think according to edmunds the ZR1 handles better, but is harder to drive.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #19
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Don't read to much into the slalom or skidpad results. First slalom is something that usually doesn't go well for awd cars, plus you have to consider that the GTR got hellish close to the ZR1 yet weighed considerably more, it me that is some achievement.

The most interesting thing on the lap with the way the two cars behaved, the GTR was ultra stabled and composed, while the ZR1 was very twitchy which they commented on and this is a smooth track and nothing like the rough and bumpy surface that makes up the ring.

P.S.
I don't want another 100 post back and forth on this, only highlighting what I know. There is no doubt the ZR1 is an amazing machine, like it's lapped the ring within a whisker of the ACR which I regard as a race car with road plates and generates real downforce.
I enjoy cars where you have to earn your lap time. The ZR-1 has the numbers and the involvement factor. Both cars are amazing, but one really appeals to me more. You seem more of a techy guy, so a paddle shifter and AWD is more your style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by De90man View Post
Did you even watch the video?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Yup, that was my point #5.
I wasn't referring to banked turns. I was referring to differences in lean angle of the cars around whatever turn.

Quote:
Well we are perhaps closer than total disagreement but I can't see how you can get to not even a slight disagreement. Foot seems to believe they numbers are free to adjust each independently (perhaps even under ideal conditions and based on how many drive wheels in the car).
You're both referring to the same thing, which is that a given vehicle may get through a given turn more quickly than another vehicle, while generating no more peak G, and possibly less.

You're quoting physics 101 scripture, but on the actual planet, attacking a curve in an ideal manner varies from car to car - and of course from driver to driver. The ideal line will vary, and a driver may in fact induce an "artificial" peak G via wheel or throttle action in order to get a given car to behave in a way the driver prefers, for alignment into the next turn, or whatever.

As far as I know, nobody who does skidpad tests measures average G with an accelerometer, even though that wouldn't be difficult. They do average G by measuring how long it takes to get around a circle of a given radius, and, on a racecourse, they typically only measure peak G.

As an aside, I'm guessing that measuring average G around a given turn would probably generate at least as many questions as it would answer (because of the differences involved in attacking a given curve with a given driver), so as far as I know, it's seldom done.

In any event, you two are agreeing on the primary point, mentioned in my first paragraph.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #21
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
GTR = $80k / ZR-1 = $100+k......doesn't look like that is comparable
GTR = non ceramic rotors / ZR-1 = ceramic rotors.....not a fair comparison too
GTR = heavier / ZR-1 = WAY lighter.....apples to oranges
GTR = 400 RWHP / ZR-1 = 500 RWHP.....I dont see anything close to compare

except for the times.....

Also, the GTR is a direct comparison to the Z06!
The GTR Spec-V will compete against the ZR-1.
Point.....I think the comparison was just for fun......Everybody knows that V spec will be a more suitable competitor to ZR1.

P.S.......I love 2 cars on your signature....LS430 and GTR
      11-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #22
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
GTR = $80k / ZR-1 = $100+k......doesn't look like that is comparable
GTR = non ceramic rotors / ZR-1 = ceramic rotors.....not a fair comparison too
GTR = heavier / ZR-1 = WAY lighter.....apples to oranges
GTR = 400 RWHP / ZR-1 = 500 RWHP.....I dont see anything close to compare

except for the times.....

Also, the GTR is a direct comparison to the Z06!
The GTR Spec-V will compete against the ZR-1.
Viola! That is the whole point. How does the GT-R end up lapping the N'Ring very close to the ZR1???
Appreciate 0