BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #595
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
The dealer denied warranty. I will have to foot the bill here unfortunately as it seems.
Can you advice their reasoning for denying the work since your car is under warranty? It seems all you have is a tune and few add on parts like exhaust which many guys had.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #596
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Complete noob question

If the tolerances are too tight, wouldn't the wearing down of the bearings eventually cause the tolerances to be opened up?

For example if you have two things rubbing up on each other wouldn't the items eventually wear down to a point where they don't touch anymore?
      08-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #597
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Can you advice their reasoning for denying the work since your car is under warranty? It seems all you have is a tune and few add on parts like exhaust which many guys had.
Do you really think BMW should replace an engine where somebody had a tune which changed some of the parameters under which the engine was designed to run??
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #598
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Do you really think BMW should replace an engine where somebody had a tune which changed some of the parameters under which the engine was designed to run??
The answer is yes ! Saw it on here more than ones and in this thread , car was tuned and covered under warranty=> new S65 !
Saw also cases when out of warranty,in the US they call it BMW goodwill !
Here in Europe they don't even know the word goodwill !
Actualy I had a good example of what I mentioned above ...
I have the clunk noise when the engine is cold,so I was sending the thread and videos of the clunk noise to them !
Guess what....they don't wanted to open the hood until my tune was removed !
And I was saying....bye bye !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #599
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
I was referring to the fact that few guys here had their motors replaced/rebuilt despite having a tune.

Nevertheless this is the main reason why I won't be getting one. Tune that is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #600
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that few guys here had their motors replaced/rebuilt despite having a tune.

Nevertheless this is the main reason why I won't be getting one. Tune that is.
Yeah, BMW may not have discovered the tune in those instances or just decided to help the customer out as a goodwill gesture.

If I tuned my car and the engine broke I would try and get help from BMW but I would totally understand if they turned me away.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #601
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post

In race engines its because it allows them to run far tighter clearances in parts like the pistons/bores, which otherwise might not even turn over when cold.
That's not true. Our crank pin is smaller than the M3 and we still run more clearance. Go figure
Furthermore piston/wall has nothing to do with heating the oil.
      08-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #602
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Complete noob question

If the tolerances are too tight, wouldn't the wearing down of the bearings eventually cause the tolerances to be opened up?

For example if you have two things rubbing up on each other wouldn't the items eventually wear down to a point where they don't touch anymore?
No it will only wear that one spot, it does not wear in a uniform pattern therefore still spinning the bearing in the bore
      08-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #603
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
No it will only wear that one spot, it does not wear in a uniform pattern therefore still spinning the bearing in the bore
This was my question regarding switching to a lighter grade after wear had taken place. Would there be any effect? Does this equate to an eccentricity change?
      08-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #604
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
If I had an m3/warranty, I'd just flash the tune back to stock if I needed to exercise the warranty.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #605
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
+1
I'd like to know what they gave as a reason too??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #606
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

You guys are really wondering why malek warranty was voided??? He owns a shop, advertises that car in alot of places including the track. All it takes is one goofball to sneak around the internet and find reasoing to deny coverage. Really sucks though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #607
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan
Quote:
This was my question regarding switching to a lighter grade after wear had taken place. Would there be any effect? Does this equate to an eccentricity change?
Don't worry about eccentricity changes, if wear gets to that point, the crush has most likely gone out of the shell and it will be only a matter of time before you spin a bearing.

Even if you measure a worn shell, you will usually only notice a few tenths to a thou of thickness difference to a new one.
      08-28-2014, 02:32 AM   #608
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
In race engines its because it allows them to run far tighter clearances in parts like the pistons/bores, which otherwise might not even turn over when cold.
Quote:
That's not true. Our crank pin is smaller than the M3 and we still run more clearance. Go figure
Furthermore piston/wall has nothing to do with heating the oil.
Its not my area of expertise (not that anything is) I'm only recalling a TV program that Vauxhall did covering this very issue with their touring cars engines - a sort of why do we preheat the oil/coolant sort of thing and thats what they said. I think it is also discussed in a similar way on the F1technical forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #609
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
You guys are really wondering why malek warranty was voided??? He owns a shop, advertises that car in alot of places including the track. All it takes is one goofball to sneak around the internet and find reasoing to deny coverage. Really sucks though.
If tracking voids the warranty, ///M has lost all meaning

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #610
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Seriously. Good luck finding a marketing picture of the M3 where it's not on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #611
foolio2
40oz. to Freedom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB e92 Dinan M3

When my engine blew, I had a long conversation with BMWNA about "tracking". They assured me that this was encouraged and what the car is designed for. I literally told them I was going to drive the piss out of this car on the track. They said I would always be covered as long as it was not a timed or competitive event.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #612
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
The dealer denied warranty. I will have to foot the bill here unfortunately as it seems.
Sorry mate Be very curious under what circumstances. Mine is flashed 240E by dealer and a cat back (Super Sprint F1 race). Otherwise stock motor (exception for suspension, brakes).

Hopefully we can learn from you on this (on how not to get warranty voided) perhaps?

Thanks again Malek.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #613
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Yes, but when the EVO and STI came out they also had commercials and literature with them doing rally events and Mitsu used to deny cars like it was their job to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Seriously. Good luck finding a marketing picture of the M3 where it's not on the track.
Right on, but even the manual states that if racing, warranty may be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio2 View Post
When my engine blew, I had a long conversation with BMWNA about "tracking". They assured me that this was encouraged and what the car is designed for. I literally told them I was going to drive the piss out of this car on the track. They said I would always be covered as long as it was not a timed or competitive event.

Yeah good luck; when push comes to shove, they won't remember your name.

People it says clear as day in the manual where talking about prepping the car for competitive use. Yes it can handle being raced, but the warranty may be given up as well as the maintenance plan if heavy tracking is to blame.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #614
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The M1 has a superior basestock to the Castrol,
I think you will find its the other way round.
The Castrol is fully synthetic with ester content.
IIRC the USA Mobil 1 0W40 is "fully synthetic" but contains some conventional oil as a carrier for the add pack.

Quote:
it is specced as OEM for all the AMG cars, Nissan GTR, and Porsches including the GT3 and Turbo cars.
Porsches used to run on Shell, now its Mobil because that is the contract they have, OEM usage signifies nothing.
10W60 is equally spec'ed for some Ferraris, Lambos (including the one make race series) and other high end models.

Quote:
The only reason your oil was at 19 centistokes was because you added make-up oil (and didn't specify how much) which without a doubt boosted the viscosity.
I probably added 2 ltrs over 15k miles...thats not going to make much difference.
Check out the oil analysis thread, it has loads of 10W60 viscosity readings at various mileages, the majority of them are around 18.

Quote:
I don't understand your argument here, it doesn't have to be a cold climate to take advantage of flow benefits at startup.... Why do you think race engines or standby generators have the oils heated to operating temperature even if ambient temperature is room temp or greater?
First off, to deal with the oils, group III oil technology has come far enough in the last 10 years that many group III oils have superior VI #'s than many fully synthetic group VI & V oils.

Second, if an engine were so tight that need to be pre-heated to turn over the friction would sap up a huge amount of power and said engine would be a ticking time bomb.

As a rule race engines are built looser than road engines where rings are considered because of their short service life and lack of emissions control devices that can't handle engine oil contamination. Secondly, since noise is not an issue on race engines a little extra clearance won't matter since a a little noise on startup won't bother a race team.

# 1 reason for warming up oil or running a lighter oil is to protect bearings first and second to ensure the top end gets oil as soon as possible.
      08-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #615
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
First off, to deal with the oils, group III oil technology has come far enough in the last 10 years that many group III oils have superior VI #'s than many fully synthetic group VI & V oils.
Fully synthetic base oils flow better when cold, heat up quicker and have better thermal stability.

Quote:
Second, if an engine were so tight that need to be pre-heated to turn over the friction would sap up a huge amount of power and said engine would be a ticking time bomb.

As a rule race engines are built looser than road engines where rings are considered because of their short service life and lack of emissions control devices that can't handle engine oil contamination. Secondly, since noise is not an issue on race engines a little extra clearance won't matter since a a little noise on startup won't bother a race team.

# 1 reason for warming up oil or running a lighter oil is to protect bearings first and second to ensure the top end gets oil as soon as possible.
I guess we are talking slightly cross purposes.
Here is a video showing the warm up procedure for an F1 engine and covers the points I was making.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #616
blankstar43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankstar43 View Post
[u2b]
[/u2b]

Well I may be having a bearing issue as well. Started hearing a slight tick a couple weeks ago but it went away. It now seems to be back again and increases in frequency with revs. It isn't as loud or obvious as some videos I've watched, but here is my video of it.

2012 e92 m3, completely stock, 42,827 miles, oil changes done every 6-8k miles or so. Probably around 16 track days with plenty of spirited driving on the street. Car is babied until oil is up to operating temp.

I have also attached my last oil analysis. Just changed my oil a few weeks ago and am awaiting the latest analysis that I'll share when it is done.

Well the road trip went fine and I haven't had any issues. Ticking noise is still present and hasn't changed since the posted video as far as I can tell. I also got back my most recent oil analysis from Blackstone which appears to be good. I am posting it here as well. Maybe its not bearings on my car after all??
Attached Images

Last edited by blankstar43; 08-28-2014 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0