BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

12-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #23
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

That driver is suspect. (both seem semi-lame) I'm not sure if he's babying the car or just an inexperienced driver, but it's the same car and event where the 335 w/ Procede won over on the m3.

This vid is not a serious comparison...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #24
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Yep, on the road there really was nothing between them. For an M6 to pull away from an M3 he'd have to be 'well' into license losing territory.

I've upset a few people before by mentioning that my AMG ML63 puts up a damm good fight against an M6. I had a 20 mile race against one in Italy last summer and it wasn't until we were well above 150mph that the M6 had pulled 100yds or so on my SUV, below 100mph I could pull ahead slightly and then hold it behind until wind resistance dealt the killer blow above 120mph. That's what 100lb/ft more torque can do for you...
I was always lead to believe that the M6 would destroy anything including the E63 or E55 (that's what Gustav's videos always show). If you are saying that a 2.3Tonne SUV with the same power but more torque can not only hold the M6 to 120mph but is ahead up to 100mph, well what would that not mean when you compare the figures the new RS6 will be putting out.

swamp2, can you do a simulation on that to see if the RS6 stands a chance or is even ahead up to 150mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #25
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
swamp2, can you do a simulation on that to see if the RS6 stands a chance or is even ahead up to 150mph.
Sure I'd do that, if you quit bad mouthing it so much !

What do you want to see compared to the RS6, E60 M5, M6, E92 M3, etc.?

Also CarTest has given me some trouble validating FI cars. I generally see quite good correlation with test on non FI cars but I will not have too high of confidence in these RS6 predicitons. What I need to get a run is seen here in this input screen (note it shows some early guesses at E90 M3 data). I also need some information about the tranny, really shift times is the key factor if it will have an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #26
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC kid View Post
That driver is suspect. (both seem semi-lame) I'm not sure if he's babying the car or just an inexperienced driver, but it's the same car and event where the 335 w/ Procede won over on the m3.

This vid is not a serious comparison...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
From m5board.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
BMW M3 E92 V8 vs BVMW M6 V-10. Since this was "leaked" from a participating member I cannot confirm if it was this race I misshifted or not.
This might explain some of the beating...

It seem most everyone glossed over this post on their way to posting many other wild reasons.
      12-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Sure I'd do that, if you quit bad mouthing it so much !.
I don't know what you mean about bad mouthing. Is this the M6 or RS6 we are talking about, if it's the M6 then sorry, I didn't think I was, well not that badly, I just think the M3 is a best package and the M5 is just as quick for less money.

Quote:
What do you want to see compared to the RS6, E60 M5, M6, E92 M3, etc.?

Also CarTest has given me some trouble validating FI cars. I generally see quite good correlation with test on non FI cars but I will not have too high of confidence in these RS6 predicitons. What I need to get a run is seen here in this input screen (note it shows some early guesses at E90 M3 data). I also need some information about the tranny, really shift times is the key factor if it will have an automatic.
God, I didn't think about the things you needed to know before you could make a valid comparison. I think none of this will become available until the car arrives. I have heard rumours that the shift time is 80ms does that reasonable. Also can your system allow for things like maximum torque being produced over such a wide rev range as it does in the RS6 and the maximum power figures being produced from 6250-6750rpm.

All I can say is good luck trying and don't stay up too late.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
God, I didn't think about the things you needed to know before you could make a valid comparison. I think none of this will become available until the car arrives. I have heard rumours that the shift time is 80ms does that reasonable. Also can your system allow for things like maximum torque being produced over such a wide rev range as it does in the RS6 and the maximum power figures being produced from 6250-6750rpm.

All I can say is good luck trying and don't stay up too late.
Not being personally interested in the RS6, unless you fed me a huge list with all of the input data, I am not going to bother. Also it sounds like so many of the parameters would be guesses anyway the results might be too approximate to even be relevant. One can input the rpm where the hp and tq each peak or you can put in a dyno curve with hp in 500 rpm increments (that is another page of the software not shown in the link above). Either way the software calculates a totally smooth torque and power curve from either input at much closer rpm spacings. I have found the simpler input for NA typically works just fine. However, for turbo cars even the point by point dyno input has not generally produced satifactory comparisons with tests. Could be just the 335i which I have focused on since it is also under-rated.

There are actaully about 2-3 more full (larger) screens of input data that the link above shows. The software takes an amazing amoutn of physics and parameters into account. The screen I posted was just the minimum needed! I'd be happy to share screen grabs of the other screen if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #29
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There are actaully about 2-3 more full (larger) screens of input data that the link above shows. The software takes an amazing amoutn of physics and parameters into account. The screen I posted was just the minimum needed! I'd be happy to share screen grabs of the other screen if anyone is interested.
Thanks mate but no thanks, at my age I am having enough problems trying to figure out how to work my DVD remote, something like this would put be in a nutty farm.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Guys, I haven't seen the video so can't comment on how the race turned out, but having owned both cars, I can say that there is a notable difference in performance between the M6 and M3. The M6 does feel a lot faster in a straight line, but I would say lacks a little bit of traction off the line compared to the M3, perhaps due to the lack of clutch... In a race to 100 there would be very little in it, with the M6 maybe pulling 4 or 5 car lengths ahead, but up to 150 and beyond, the M6 is in a different league. The M3 is fast, but the M6 is just silly fast and would open up a hugely noticable gap. That said, the M3 is definitely the easier car to drive and is also quicker cross country. It feels much more sporty against the M6's GT feel, so unless power is your ultimate goal, I would say the M3 is the one to have.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #31
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Filthy. Haven't seen you post in a while. How's your M3 been treating ya? Has your opinion or anything else popped up since your 1 week review?
Appreciate 0