BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
newm3owner
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 AW Coupe

Gave some teens more than they anticipated

So took wife out last night and on way back stopped in store to pick up a couple things. When I come out there are 4 teenage boys standing around my care with their cell phone cameras shooting each other by it. They see me walking up and I yell out "hey you are not breaking in are you". They all kinda jump back and started the no man stuff..I laughed told them I was kidding, no problem. Well they start asking me is this 09, and new V8 they knew little about the car, which I was impressed they knew so much. So I opened the door, told them go ahead get in check it out. They were stunned did not want to at first afaid, but I told them it was fine just a car, and they took turns getting in checking it out (wife was like what are you doing as she is sitting in passenger seat). So last kid is in told him put his foot on brake and push the button. Car fired up they were joking at him dude I wanted to do that.
Well all I can say it was cool they knew about cars, respected cars and enjoyed that I was not a prick about it and let them check it out.
Maybe future M owners in the making!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Very cool of you to do that, spreading the M word...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

+1 (althought I am not sure I would have done the same as it is one of these situations where you may end up in trouble...)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
tampabayboy
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

....... then the kid pulled out the mother of all hand cannons and told me to get the F*ck out of the car. Then his boys jumped in and they drove off with my ride.

It was cool to show those kids your car but we live in a crazy world these days. Be careful , bro!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Cool... The exact same thing happened to me, except it wasn't 4 teenage boys, it was one teenage girl. And my wife wasn't with me. And it didn't end the same way... so maybe it wasn't the exact same thing after all.
And now I have to register with the local authorities whenever I move. Anyway...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Yeah, sometimes those 14 year olds look 18! LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
Cool... The exact same thing happened to me, except it wasn't 4 teenage boys, it was one teenage girl. And my wife wasn't with me. And it didn't end the same way... so maybe it wasn't the exact same thing after all.
And now I have to register with the local authorities whenever I move. Anyway...
Joking about pedophilia is kind of like saying you think your sister is hot and when people look at you funny, you say it was a joke. Uh..

With that being said, I laughed reading your post.

To the OP, very cool of you to do that. I remember people being nice to me when I was younger and it stays with you for a very long time. Now only like 20,000 more nice things like that from BMW owners and they might even think BMW owners are 1/2 decent. Sigh.
      01-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
jlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
LOL I came in this thread solely to post something similar. Nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Very cool of you. Most guys aren't like that to teenagers.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I had the same thing last monday waiting in my car when from a school nearby a shyish guy asked me:Sir is this the new M3 V8? I should have told him:"What does it say on the boot?"LOL. I said yes. and started the thing up and did a 7000rpm thing. The boy went nuts..."no, no sir." first I thought it was Al Gore's son accusing me of environmental pollution(...) He told me he was afraid of 'showing off' and maybe embarrased or something but at the end he really appreciated it and called his friends to 'show' the car.

Anyway, 8 out of 10 people commenting on my car are positive. The other two are jealouse people in general I guess...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Arthur3E92
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Very cool of you. Most guys aren't like that to teenagers.
Very true. Unfortunately for me and other normal teens, the stereotype has earned us quite the negative reputation.

but as for the OP that was very nice of you .
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
matt beard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR 6sp.E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newm3owner View Post
So took wife out last night and on way back stopped in store to pick up a couple things. When I come out there are 4 teenage boys standing around my care with their cell phone cameras shooting each other by it. They see me walking up and I yell out "hey you are not breaking in are you". They all kinda jump back and started the no man stuff..I laughed told them I was kidding, no problem. Well they start asking me is this 09, and new V8 they knew little about the car, which I was impressed they knew so much. So I opened the door, told them go ahead get in check it out. They were stunned did not want to at first afaid, but I told them it was fine just a car, and they took turns getting in checking it out (wife was like what are you doing as she is sitting in passenger seat). So last kid is in told him put his foot on brake and push the button. Car fired up they were joking at him dude I wanted to do that.
Well all I can say it was cool they knew about cars, respected cars and enjoyed that I was not a prick about it and let them check it out.
Maybe future M owners in the making!
Nice work man. This is how you encourage young people to be fellow auto enthusiasts. However, if you had been arrogant and rude, this too would have doubtlessly left a lasting impression aswell. Unfortunately, judging by some of the posts on this site, a good portion of M// owners tend to be the latter. Congratulations, you it sounds, are one exception.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Cars and teenagers……I love my job! I teach high school Automotive Technology.
Class demonstrations are much more interesting using the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

cool story! Just be careful man....it is a crazy world out there.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
newm3owner
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 AW Coupe

I know it can be nuts out there, but I try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt and I put myself in thier shoes. Hell I get enough of the jacka%% types, like the Gt-350 the other day that was weaving in traffic to pull next to me reving and changing lanes trying to intice me in traffic, or the ones that feel like they gotta tail gate you or flip you off ,or the jealous car keyers in the parking lots. So I encourage the true auto lovers,even if they are young!
Plus, if I can make a kid's day just by letting them take pics of them sitting in my car, and they walk away feeling good about, having pics and story for thier friends as well as learning not everyone is a prick, I feel good about that.
Think about it, they will be telling thier parents and friends about a real positive experience, instead of the usual ones you here about unfortunately.
Love to hear more positive stories from all.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #17
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Yeah, cool that you gave them a thrill! Can you just imagine, though, what woulda happened if the dude who started the car up decided to bail with the car AND wife!?

I guess you gotta use your best discretion at such moments!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #18
503Alex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: S30

Cool story, it reminds me of one time when an Enzo Ferrari owner let me sit in his car when he saw me taking pictures of it. He was taking it to the hardware store!
      02-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
ISAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW Coupe 6MT

Nice story. You know we typically spend most of our time talking about the 2 percent of teenagers who are bad and not enough time talking about the 98 percent who are good.

Sounds like these were some cool kids and you were good to show them some positive attention.
      02-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the story, it is nice to hear the good ones every now and then. In the summer when my car was new I let a couple of kids check out my car and take some pics in it. I find that people are a lot more likely to approach when the top is down as there are no barriers. Some times this is not a great thing, as I also remember one night at a red light a (drunk) guy waiting for the bus begging me to drive him a couple of blocks cause the bus was taking forever, needless to say I passed.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabayboy View Post
....... then the kid pulled out the mother of all hand cannons and told me to get the F*ck out of the car. Then his boys jumped in and they drove off with my ride.

It was cool to show those kids your car but we live in a crazy world these days. Be careful , bro!
on the good side, they would have not gotten that far, since the owner had the fob on him. I love that feature. The car senses the key is not there..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAR View Post
Nice story. You know we typically spend most of our time talking about the 2 percent of teenagers who are bad and not enough time talking about the 98 percent who are good.

Sounds like these were some cool kids and you were good to show them some positive attention.
+1 , its like the saying "an unhappy customer tells 100, while a happy customer only tells 1" we only talk about the 2% of the bad teenagers when thre are 98% that are good.