BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

BPM

05-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Newbie dSLR help

So I just graduated with my undergraduate degree and got a lot of gift money. I've been dying to get a good camera for a long time, but never really bothered looking into it. I've come to the conclusion I want a dSLR over a regular point and shoot for the superior quality, better zoom, all the general SLR> point and shoot things. Problem is I don't know the first thing about cameras. Whatever I get I want it to be easy for a camera retard like me to figure out how to use it. I'm also looking for something that takes good pictures (I realize that editing a picture in PS afterwords can make a big difference as well). The last requirement is something affordable as I don't want to drop a massive amount of money on it. From what I've researched the Nikon D40/60, Canon Rebel XS, and Sony Alpha AS200 seem like solid choices.

So basically I would really appreciate your input on helping me pick a camera! Thanks.
      05-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

From what I've seen Sony just can't compete with Nikon's and Canon's ISO handling. My only advice is to stay with either Nikon or Canon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
From what I've seen Sony just can't compete with Nikon's and Canon's ISO handling. My only advice is to stay with either Nikon or Canon.
+1.. Sony lenses are a little cheaper because the IS (image stabilization) is integrated into the camera itself, unlike Nikkon and Cannon where they have separate IS lenses.. Stick with Nikkon or Cannon, I can't speak for Nikkon since I've only tried a friends D80 a couple of times.. I've had two Canon Xti's before I upgraded to a 40D.. The XS's are pretty cheap and you can probably find a decent condition used one on craigslist. If you want to buy it new, I know ritz camera has a sale going on for the Nikkon d40 set, comes with like the 18-55mm and 20-200mm? I only know this because my friend was buying a camera and she asked me to check it out to see if it was a good deal. Although there are some pretty hardcore Nikkon/ Cannon fans that would swear by the brand, you can't really go wrong with either one. Go to the store and play around with some, get which one feels better in your hands.. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Cyruz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
stick with either canon or nikon. they have better and more lens choices. no matter what camera body you get, if the glass you shoot through is crappy, so will the images. look at the features of all the bodies you are looking for. compare them and get which ever has the best bang for the buck. then drop the money on the better lenses.

my zenfolio photo gallery
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

The best value is usually the newest of the low end DSLRs from Canon or Nikon. For Canon this is the new Rebel T1i (500D) or perhaps the previous Rebel XSi (450D). I'm not sure what the closest equivalent Nikon is - probably the D90 or D40x. I know you can pick up the Canon with a "kit" lens for well under $1K.

In any case, you should go down to a camera store and mess around with each of these. Feel how they fit in your hand, how easily your fingers find the buttons, how easily you navigate the menus. That should be what decides you at this stage. All of the cameras mentioned have plenty of features, have an enormous range of interchangeable lenses available when you want to move up from the kit, and all will take great pictures.

In short, don't get too caught up in this feature or that. Find one of the recent low end DSLRs from one of the big two that fits your hand well and then don't look back.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

When buying: Go try it out at the store. If you like it, go buy it online. It'll save you $$$!

More $$$ comes back to you if you use Live Cashback.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Thanks guys!