BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

10-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

C63 Coupe,Cayman R, or Carrera GTS

So I ordered the 2012 c63 coupe and it will be coming in on the 21th of october. As of now I only placed a returnable deposit. I have having second thoughts... I went to a Porsche dealership to check out the Cayman R but they didnt have one so the sales agent insisted that I test drive the Carrera GTS and that car blew me away. It felt like it had much more torque than 310 lb/ft. I had to decide between the Cayman R (best handling Porsche) or a c63 coupe (torque monster) and now the Carrera GTS is just giving me a hard choice. The handling on the GTS was just amazing but for a sticker price of over 117k that I configured I thought it was too much. So now it is down to the c63 coupe which is one of the best v8 and gas guzzlers left out there that will make the hippies cry or a Cayman R which is supposedly an amazing handling car (still looking for one to test drive). What would you guys choose?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

I say drive a Cayman R just so that you can be sure you're making the right choice. I've only driven the Cayman S but yeah I love the way it handles and for such a understated looking car it does have great performance.

Also, what's the difference in price between Cayman R and C63?
      10-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

It depends. Just how important is razor sharp handling to you? Do you really need that third pedal?

Although I love the GTS, get the C63. From what every single review has said the handling is vastly improved, it looks fantastic, and (like all C63s) a few bolt-ons will make it more of a monster than it already is - sounds like heaven on 4 wheels to me. But if you answered something to the extent of "they're top priority" to the above questions, you should give that Cayman R a test drive. The 991 is already here so there really isn't a reason to get a new 997.2 unless you love it that much. Good luck!
      10-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Call Walter's up in Riverside and see if they still have the Cayman R/able to test drive. It is a six speed. They have several GTS' with good options and have heard they will deal. I am a big fan of the GTS and of your list, would be my choice. 117 is not that high for the GTS. They can get near 130 on PDK cars.

You could also take a drive up to Beverly Hills. They have a 6 speed Cayman R too..or did.

The C63 would be hard to pass up but paying sticker and the huge depreciation would have me thinking hard.

Lease or buying? Being you have not had the M3 that long you may want to check both brands lease offers. If you get in and out every few years that is.

Last edited by gonzo; 10-11-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: cayman not caynam..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Call Walter's up in Riverside and see if they still have the Cayman R/able to test drive. It is a six speed. They have several GTS' with good options and have heard they will deal. I am a big fan of the GTS and of your list, would be my choice. 117 is not that high for the GTS. They can get near 130 on PDK cars.

You could also take a drive up to Beverly Hills. They have a 6 speed Cayman R too..or did.

The C63 would be hard to pass up but paying sticker and the huge depreciation would have me thinking hard.

Lease or buying? Being you have not had the M3 that long you may want to check both brands lease offers. If you get in and out every few years that is.
you are looking at a 4000lbs V8 vs a more nimble ~3000lbs V6. Unless you are getting that C63 with the performance pack, I would get the Cayman. Even without the performance pack, I would get the Cayman. Don't let the #s fool you, a 3000lbs car with 330hp is a beast
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^No doubt.

There are variables that I would guess he is dealing with.
Only 2 seats.
Torque.
Driving pleasure.
And of course, price.

The C63 will be unique and all but I seriously doubt they will take off one dime.
I will not pay sticker for ANY vehicle. If I was filthy rich it would be an easier decision.

A test drive of the Cayman is what he has to do.
      10-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

The Cayman R I priced was around 85k I believe and the c63 coupe was about 81k. Seats, luggage, etc isn't important to me. Fun factor is most important... I have having the hardest time whether I want torque or handling. I guess I really do have to test drive a cayman R before I can make my choice. The GTS has 310 torque but it felt much more which I assume is due to the weight. When the c63 coupe arrives I will test drive it and see if its 450 or so amount of torque is about right. I just still cant get over the turn in and stability of the GTS, I hope the Cayman R is even better although sacrificing power.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Aesthetics alone:

1. C class = no value, too many out there

2. Cayman = small, no road presence

3. 911 = ugly, some road presence, its like a squatting frog

IN Porsche's defense...its the best driving car money can buy, short of getting a 458 italia...so go for a Porsche. You'll learn to the love the squatting frog eventually, and you will get attached.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I would get the C63 coupe.. It will be a Great car and a head turner for sure!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Aesthetics alone:

IN Porsche's defense...its the best driving car money can buy, short of getting a 458 italia...so go for a Porsche. You'll learn to the love the squatting frog eventually, and you will get attached.
C63 COUPE??? I havent seen any yet..

And the second thing I made bold.. Did you just say that??

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
C63 COUPE??? I havent seen any yet..

And the second thing I made bold.. Did you just say that??
Actually, according to the better Euro mags, the Porsche is the better driver's car than the 458, lf-a, etc.
Car and driver says that about the miata too..

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Used 997 turbo. Wait til the new 991 turbo comes and you should be able to get a good bit more car for your money.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

GTS or used Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think they say similar things about the 1 series.

Again, garbage american mag vs Euro mag.

And in the case of the Euro mags, they are right.

Here's the 50 best driver's car of all time over the past 50 years. Count them 9 Porsche's listed out of 50 cars.

And the 996 GT3 was ranked 3rd. No ferrari placed better than it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Drivers-Cars

GT3 RS named best driver's car.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Drivers-Cars

There was also Evo Best of the Best where the GT3 RS won.

Unlike you, Ive actually driven the cars in question, and no question the GT3 RS is the better driver's car.
Ur first comment makes no sense at all.. The 135i for the $$$ is a great car.. (Not to sure about reliability)

I think car and driver is a Great Mag..

NEVER EVER would I own a porsche. Even Clarkson doesn't like them.

It was a interesting read. But the C63 Coupe is a extremely cool car that I think a lot of people would like to have. This article has some really extreme cars in it and if I was not tracking my car I would like to own the C63 Coupe.

Also u know every car I have driven?? Dude you kill me...

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You base what you like on other people? Funny thing is, clarkson loves Porsches when he drives them. Then again, he doesnt like BMWs either so I guess you shouldnt drive one of them either.
You dont have to like Porsches or own one but that doesnt take anything away from the fact that they are the best driver's car in the world...always have been, always will be.
C&D is pure garbage, period. Same with R&T and MT.

Have you driven a GT3 RS or 458 italia? And im not talking about a little 2 min drive around the block. Im talking about hours and hours behind the wheel.
No I have not had hours behind the wheel.. But Clarkson has driven a lot of cars and I trust his opinion. Also every-time he has tested the M3 he has loved it. When he tested the Porsche with the LP Gallardo he liked the Gallardo better..

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Unless it's going to be a track car, consider a Cayman S with PASM instead of the R, even better a black edition.
I considered the R, but for a DD I wanted some creature comforts (ventilated seats, Nav/bose/XM, PASM). I prefer the look of the S vs the fixed wing on the R, the fabric pull straps on the R are goofy and I wanted the extra sound deadening. The R only has 10 more Hp and the same torque.
Doesn't make sense to me to get the R and add all the weight back in with radio and A/C. If you still want an R, make sure you sit in the sport buckets to make sure they are ok for you, there is no seat back adjustment.
I didn't consider the C63, but did consider an M3, great engine, but still looks like every other 3 series out there.
Do you want a hammer or a scalpel?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Good point.

He needs to drive the R for at least 10 miles over various road surfaces to get an idea of what he would live with. A black would be a good pick for a bit of both...if you can find one.
      10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Here is a well optioned 11' at Porsche of Monterey/willing to seriously deal maybe. End of the year is coming fast.
Can't tell if a PASM car.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
      10-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Aesthetics alone:

+1000000000 BMW is the best car in the world. I would take a 328 over any Porsche or Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You put trust in a tv personality whom you know very little about and don't know? I usually let me own experience in driving a car tell me if I like it or not, not some fat british guy who simply drifts around a few turns and reviews a car with incredible bias and prejudice, not to mention Clarkson is about ratings and creating tension and drama...not to actually give unbiased car reviews. He prefers Italian and British cars...but that's not saying much.
If you want to trust someone who is reviewing a car, listen to a guy like Randy pobst (or someone like chris harris) who is not only unbiased in reviews, but is an accomplished race driver as well. He loves Porsches and knows they are the best of the best.
Thanks I will look him up.. I still like Clarkson.

Appreciate 0