BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #67
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
Because we can live in the best city on earth and be driving down our M3s on twisty backroads 15 minutes outside of it.
My thinking there is that I'd prefer to live on these twisty backroads and then I'd still be just 15 minutes outside of the best city on earth.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #68
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G63, GLS63, X7M50 (inbound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
My thinking there is that I'd prefer to live on these twisty backroads and then I'd still be just 15 minutes outside of the best city on earth.
There's a certain pleasure I take in being able to walk to work. Nothing about living in Manhattan and owning a car, let alone an M3, makes any rational sense. But then, I'd argue, that everyone who loiters around this forum is irrationally in love with their M3s and cars in general.

On the flip side, working in Manhattan and having the career that I do, has probably been the only reason why I was able to afford an M3 at the age of 26 to begin with. I'm not saying there aren't other parts of the US that afford its residents the kind of financial opportunities that NYC does, but NYC certainly would be in the top 1 percentile of these places.

Sure, once I get ensnared by the practicalities of family life, I would indeed get a pied-a-terre in the city and a house outside of it, but for now I am OK with paying more for my parking spot than most people pay for their cars each month. But that's OK. It's the cost of doing business.

I think each and every one of us made a conscious decision to let go of practical considerations when we chose to get our M3s. In the sea of mediocrity that surrounds us, it's nice to own something that is anything but.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #69
RevFreak14
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Stop driving it! you're gonna make it worse... damaging the suspension further and definitely causing irregular wear on the tires
Yeah. Definitely take that in ASAP. You're sure to damage something else driving it in that condition.
99 Lexus GS400 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #70
Mr C
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW

You should see it here in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) you have to drive like it’s an AUTOCROSS course.
      04-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #71
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
There's a certain pleasure I take in being able to walk to work. Nothing about living in Manhattan and owning a car, let alone an M3, makes any rational sense. But then, I'd argue, that everyone who loiters around this forum is irrationally in love with their M3s and cars in general.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you said, but you definitely raise some legitimate points. I concur that a $70k car is far from the most rational purchase. Be that as it may, if I were single at age 26 with a job that can fund an M3, NY apartment, and NY parking, I'd probably do something far less rational - buy a F458 or something like that and trouble myself with the 30 minutes of "punishment" every day commuting on that twisty road. I suppose the 458 would cost a lot more to fix when I hit the potholes though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #72
crzy4bimmers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G63, GLS63, X7M50 (inbound)

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with everything you said, but you definitely raise some legitimate points. I concur that a $70k car is far from the most rational purchase. Be that as it may, if I were single at age 26 with a job that can fund an M3, NY apartment, and NY parking, I'd probably do something far less rational - buy a F458 or something like that and trouble myself with the 30 minutes of "punishment" every day commuting on that twisty road. I suppose the 458 would cost a lot more to fix when I hit the potholes though.
ha ha! the 458 is a few years away. Even, irrationally, I can't afford it.. yet ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #73
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Beside the potholes, why would I need a sports coupe to get around a city that is gridlocked 24/7. I guess I can always be first to the next light, but it really isn't worth it. Taxis, subways or drivers ftw in manhattan.
Fixed

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #74
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
+1....as I have stated before, just quote mkoesel for all of my responses, saves me from typing

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #75
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Very well stated. It is hard to understand the appeal of living in the midst of a city like New York until you actually do it.

Mkoesel, it's not just the commute aspect. While housing space is more cramped, I personally find the suburban lifestyle extremely dull. In New York, you have the benefit of 24-hour eating, entertainment, and at-home delivery of pretty much everything, including laundry to groceries. In my opinion, it makes life easier. And with my hectic, bizarre-hour work schedule, it's really nice that I don't have to fret about the smaller things, such as worrying when the bars will close on Friday night.

My point? Owning a sports car/ sports sedan in NYC is not as crazy as you might think. Just make sure to get a cheap set of winter tires + wheels. Oh,and wheel and tire insurance helps (really regret not getting that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar92 View Post
You should see it here in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) you have to drive like it’s an AUTOCROSS course.
You clearly have no experience with driving in New York. LA roads are autobahn-smooth by comparison .
Appreciate 0