BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #45
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
this.......

my family consists of 4 people, but I work to support much MUCH more....
My tax guy told me he filed for a single person who stayed home ALL year and just went about filling out job applications online and went on approx 3-4 interviews a month, turning down jobs and they got around $18k back. I didn't ask much questions because I was pissed at how much I'm paying.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #46
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba View Post
My tax guy told me he filed for a single person who stayed home ALL year and just went about filling out job applications online and went on approx 3-4 interviews a month, turning down jobs and they got around $18k back. I didn't ask much questions because I was pissed at how much I'm paying.
that's all I'm saying.....

it pays to be a junk unemployed person all year.....

they're welcome.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #47
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Just did my taxes. Had to put forward another $4,100.39 on top of what was taken out monthly. It sucks like a mofo knowing the other things that money could have been used for. FML
      04-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #48
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

@bimmerfrk Out of curiosity, do you claim more than one dependent?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #49
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Just did my taxes. Had to put forward another $4,100.39 on top of what was taken out monthly. It sucks like a mofo knowing the other things that money could have been used for. FML
Let's hope the government is putting it to better use
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #50
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

At least it was a interest free loan pretty much. Think of it that way. But adjust w4 I think like another member said and try to break even. In my opinion is better to get the money throughout out the year and pay a little bit at the end. Because there is no interest. Why on earth would you want the government holding your money lol
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #51
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
@bimmerfrk Out of curiosity, do you claim more than one dependent?
I claim no dependents. Both my wife and I work and we have no kids, thus the ass raping.

Oh and we just bought a house so we missed all those benefits by two months. Wish we closed in December...... :-/
      04-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #52
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
This. The general public clearly doesn't understand the implications of getting a refund check for taxes.
That depends on your definition of "general public". There millions who make up the general public that makes $35k ~ $50k a year while getting a $4k refund. They typically don't understand. Then there are the millions more who make up the sector of the general public which make next to nothing due to lack of employment who are getting a $10k refund. THIS general public understand very well how tax refunds work. Of course at that point it's not an actual refund anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

As evidenced in this thread...
What he's talking about is someone who gets special deductions due to their lack of income/employment. As soon as you start making more money you're deductions go away and you start paying more. What you were getting as a deduction and are now pay for, is now going to someone else who still qualifies for those deductions due to lack of income/employment.

I don't believe anyone is questing the fact that the guy who's W2 says $52k while getting a $3k refund back paid too much to begin with.
      04-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #53
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
What he's talking about is someone who gets special deductions due to their lack of income/employment. As soon as you start making more money you're deductions go away and you start paying more. What you were getting as a deduction and are now pay for, is now going to someone else who still qualifies for those deductions due to lack of income/employment.

I don't believe anyone is questing the fact that the guy who's W2 says $52k while getting a $3k refund back paid too much to begin with.
You're not reading Litos' posts closely enough. His first implication was that someone who was actually employed (he said a bum that worked at Walmart, that's employment) and getting a refund was essentially stealing money from others who worked "harder" and made more money (reference the robbing peter to pay paul comment). That is why I said he doesn't know how taxes work, because he doesn't.

I'm not talking about unemployed people, as that is a whole different argument.
      04-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #54
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

I make a decent paycheck and maximize my deductions...403B's, claiming 0 married filing single, flex accounts etc. I get a hefty return. It's all about the deductions. The main purpose is not to end up like OP.

Be careful on the flex account though. If you don't spend it, you lose it.
      04-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #55
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Lol. Sorry man but it is what it is! Like others said, adjust your exemptions if you don't wanna owe next year. I personally tell everyone to claim 0. You can survive on a smaller paycheck monthly and you won't get a surprise end of the year. Imagine telling a guy he owes $1m+ after he already paid $3m last year. I am about to do that lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #56
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

If you were relying on a return in other to afford a car… maybe it's a good choice not getting one. Better be safe than sorry. Last thing you want to do is be stuck with a car you cannot afford next year
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #57
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
If you were relying on a return in other to afford a car… maybe it's a good choice not getting one. Better be safe than sorry. Last thing you want to do is be stuck with a car you cannot afford next year
And if you are unsure wether you can afford your car or not, we have a thread for that also.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #58
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Well if you guys are bored you can entertain yourselves by reading the comments section of yet another top 1% federal income taxes article. This one came out today, although they write a piece on this pretty much every year.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/04/pf/t...html?hpt=hp_t2
Appreciate 0