BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #45
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Also, don't forget that Dinan is now running a 15% rebate on all its parts, so we are now talking about $760 for the springs.

Time to start considering the Dinan 3.62 Differential...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #46
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Thanks for the pictures and your impressions - they look exactly like what I want...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #47
vtecjulio
newbie to the BMW world
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 SedaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
Looking good!
GTM should know, did he get ripped? But again, you get what you pay for..???ummm I still dig it tho... damn I miss the honda days (cost of parts)

08 M3 Sedan
03 NSX sold
93 HONDA EG K20A Swap (yes, its an M killer)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #48
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Dinan spring cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 996 View Post
Springs are $900 thru Dinan. Install was done thru an authorized Dinan dealer (Laurel BMW). Book rate is based on 8.9 hours of labor, which is also consistent with what others on the board have seen from non-Dinan installs. We all know that 8.9 hours is way too long, but it is what it is. Rate was $120/hour.

So, you are talking about $2000 installed at the end of the day.
Yep, my dealer quoted $2,080, including alignment. That's a bundh for springs.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #49
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

can you post some more/bigger pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #50
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
If these springs perform any better than a competing brand I'll retract my comment but I guarantee they won't, and you don't have any data to contradict me.

I'm more than capable of making an informed decision, and $2000 total for springs on this car is simply ridiculous in my opinion.
And to be fair, you don't have the data to guarantee they won't perform better.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #51
550Chris
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dinan 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz M3 View Post
Excuse me what? 8.9 hours??? Dude you have got to be kidding me. There is a DIY for changing the springs and I think even you or I could do the install in 2 hours. That is unreal they would charge you that much.
The Dinan labor quote includes 2 hours for a full alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #52
550Chris
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dinan 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
ouch... that was expensive for springs.
Its more than just springs.

"Dinan lowers the M3 by 1/2" front and rear for improved suspension geometry and an even more aggressive stance. Matching bump stops and replacement front guide supports are included that actually increase suspension travel by 0.6" for improved handling capabilities along with surprisingly civilized ride quality"

Both cost money and Dinan can't pass those along at cost since they have a dealer network that needs a margin on those as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #53
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

M3 996 It doesn't sound like you track the car often/at all, but I would be interested to hear some impressions on the oversteer/understeer balance of the car. In speaking with Dinan, all they would say is that it maintains stock/better than driving dynamics. Just from calculations(has been discussed at length is a previous thread), most other systems do not have the proper spring rates to maintain the minimal ammount of understeer with the OEM set-up.

It's amazing how many painfully uninformed opinions there are out there. Just because it looks expensive on paper does not necessarily make it so. Consider that just one EDC shock will run you $650.00 without install. If it starts leaking, the dealer will laugh you out of the bulding and kindly charge you for it.

Also understand that you can buy some fixed camber plates to install along with the springs to fine-tune your handling even more.

There is much R&D that goes into making a solid product. I'm not marching to the beat of Dinan, but sounds like many here are uninformed "experts."
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.

Last edited by bogdan; 01-28-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #54
pepper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

sit at the place, and say lets time to see how long

I've never done springs, but I know Im not paying for them
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #55
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Thanks for the info M3 996. Looks Good. Think I may be doing this as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #56
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
M3 996 It doesn't sound like you track the car often/at all, but I would be interested to hear some impressions on the oversteer/understeer balance of the car. In speaking with Dinan, all they would say is that it maintains stock/better than driving dynamics. Just from calculations(has been discussed at length is a previous thread), most other systems do not have the proper spring rates to maintain the minimal ammount of understeer with the OEM set-up.

It's amazing how many painfully uninformed opinions there are out there. Just because it looks expensive on paper does not necessarily make it so. Consider that just [u]one[/b] EDC shock will run you $650.00 without install. If it starts leaking, the dealer will laugh you out of the bulding and kindly charge you for it.

Also understand that you can buy some fixed camber plates to install along with the springs to fine-tune your handling even more.

There is much R&D that goes into making a solid product. I'm not marching to the beat of Dinan, but sounds like many here are uninformed "experts."
Bogdan,

I had the springs installed just as the weather started the transtion to a Chicago winter, so no track impressions are possible in the near future.

I would say that the handling characteristics are very similar to better than stock. I am a very happy customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #57
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

M3 996 has a daily driver, not a slammed cruiser or track car. Heck, it will probably even clear grocery store speed bumps! Everybody makes their own choice, and pricey or not, Dinan seems like a good choice for this application. And Dinan really does sweat the daily-driver details best IMHO based on several personal data points with E36's.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #58
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
M3 996 has a daily driver, not a slammed cruiser or track car. Heck, it will probably even clear grocery store speed bumps! Everybody makes their own choice, and pricey or not, Dinan seems like a good choice for this application. And Dinan really does sweat the daily-driver details best IMHO based on several personal data points with E36's.
I agree. If I do springs, I'll be going with Dinans because they are daily driver friendly and the factory warantee supports them. Besides, the pics M3 996 took were first impression shots before the car was able to fully settle. He also did mention that there was a little more than 1 finger gap up front and stock is a little more than 2 fingers.

I lowered my Corvette and that is how it sits as well. It's perfect! Not too much and not too little.

How low do M3 drivers want to go?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #59
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I'll be going with Dinans because they are daily driver friendly and the factory warantee supports them.
BMW factory warranty does not cover failiures associated to Dinan products. Dinan matches the oem warranty.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #60
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
BMW factory warranty does not cover failiures associated to Dinan products. Dinan matches the oem warranty.
Isn't that just as good?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #61
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep

The daily driver aspect of these springs has been absolutely top notch... even in Chicago snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #62
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Yeah but I talked to my dealer who informed me that the factory rate/quote from Dinan is what they charge 8.9 hrs for the install/labor plus cost of the springs. 15% off is nice...call me when it's 20-25% tho! LOL I did ask my service advisor for instance what if it doesn't take 8.9 hrs to do my car...how much is the charge then expecting him to say oh we bill at the normal $120-130/hr shop rate...To my amazement I was told they will bill 8.9 hrs no matter how long or short the job takes! WTF??? I'd think if the guy finishes my car in 4 hrs; then I should be charged that NOT another 4 hrs while he works on somebody else's ride but nope!

Anybody know if Dinan's warranty applies if you DON'T have the dealer do the work? Am curious what an independant shop would say?
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #63
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Yeah but I talked to my dealer who informed me that the factory rate/quote from Dinan is what they charge 8.9 hrs for the install/labor plus cost of the springs. 15% off is nice...call me when it's 20-25% tho! LOL I did ask my service advisor for instance what if it doesn't take 8.9 hrs to do my car...how much is the charge then expecting him to say oh we bill at the normal $120-130/hr shop rate...To my amazement I was told they will bill 8.9 hrs no matter how long or short the job takes! WTF??? I'd think if the guy finishes my car in 4 hrs; then I should be charged that NOT another 4 hrs while he works on somebody else's ride but nope!

Anybody know if Dinan's warranty applies if you DON'T have the dealer do the work? Am curious what an independant shop would say?
Man, just when my flame suit had finally cooled off from mentioning that I actually paid the "dealer rate" for my Dinan installation...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #64
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Well I did talk to a Dinan rep and local Dinan authorized shop (non dealer) and the local guy said he'd cut me 5% off the parts (if I order thru him) and the installation in addition to the 15% that Dinan is giving currently for the job which is what 20% off parts ($720) and then 5% off labor/install ($800). If he can honor the usual BMW CCA local discount of 10% on both parts and install then he has a deal and I'll schedule this for the end of the month!

Additionally I did find out also that the 8.5 hours for install also included which isn't necessarily apparent after speaking with both him and Dinan is about 2.5 hrs to allign the car afterwards and test and re-align it as the setup with the new springs and bump stops is much different than the factory allignment so if anybody knows what the cost of a 4 wheel alignment is for an e92 M3 in terms of labor and parts...then we can better decipher where all the labor costs come in.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #65
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
... if anybody knows what the cost of a 4 wheel alignment is for an e92 M3 in terms of labor and parts...then we can better decipher where all the labor costs come in.
Four wheel alignment at Daniels BMW in Allentown, PA was $150 and change. No parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #66
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Damn, I didn't know I was such a complete idiot.
I've got a box of Dinan springs sitting in my garage scheduled for installation in 3 weeks. At the time I ordered it (15% rebate) I didn't mind paying a few hundred extra for something that I know works with my EDC, will still work with my warranty, and that I have confidence in the R/D that went into, which includes bump stops, and a different mounting design that does not reduce the suspension travel, but in fact increase it. Seemed like what I wanted, but apparently I need to rethink my whole auto industry interaction strategy.
And then I go and find out exactly how much it will be to install and I thought, "that's cool, flat price, no wiggle room, they can't give me some story about it taking longer than they thought because the alignment had to be done again (that's right, alignment included, not to mention a loaner car for 2 days). But apparently, I'm the victim of a vast con being perpitrated on an unsuspecting BMW community. And here I thought a nice subtle 1/2 inch drop would look nicer than a complete slam that every time I see I think to myself, "what a dumb-ass".
Guess I need to rethink what I want for my car based on other peoples opinions.
Or maybe not. When it's all said and done, I know something similiar can be done for a few hundred less, but it's not worth it to me to spend the time it would take to research which would work best for me. This is what I want, for several reasons, some mentioned above, and a few hundred dollars isn't going effect my solvency. It it did, I shouldn't have a $70k and shouldn't be adding unnecessary toys to it in the first place. So all you that are getting you panties in a wad about this, we will let you off the hook and not force you to do it too.
Appreciate 0