BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

Car Clunking noise, with videos.

So i've spent most of the 'work day' looking on the boards to find issues relating to this clunking/clicking noise I have on the car. I've taken the car to the dealerships a few times and of course, they "can never replicate the sound". I'm gonna refer to the actual geniuses of BMWs (post members of course).

I thought it was the suspension, supposedly the dealerships said they "tightened all suspension components".

It's a 2011 E90 ZCP, 17k miles. DCT, EDC

First Video. (noise 9th second).

Second Video. (noise 13th second).

Just uploaded, might take a few mins to be complete.
Will add link to the 3rd video.

EDIT THIRD VIDEO ADDED (45th second)

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550

Last edited by advans; 04-09-2012 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Added Videos
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I hear what you're talking about. It's nothing I've heard before.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I hear what you're talking about. It's nothing I've heard before.
yeah, i've looked through many videos posted here, it's different. Everyone posted had a main bearing noise. Mine only occurs when its driving at that kinda low speed.

Just imagine me driving in Soho, New York, looking all cool with the sexy M3, and next thing, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
It doesn't sound constant. Does it happen while actually driving or just when the car jerks forward?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
It doesn't sound constant. Does it happen while actually driving or just when the car jerks forward?
doesn't really happen when the car is MOVING MOVING, but only at that kinda 1-3mph speeds, most likely stopping.

I doubt it's the suspension, since it's not constant, doesn't make sense of it being the suspension since going over bumps doesn't make a difference.

What I noticed is that, when slowing down, the DCT clutch "engages" and brings the car forward. like for DCT owners, Even sometimes when you "stop" then let go of the gas, the car automatically moves forward, like if the clutch is moving the car up.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
yeah, i've looked through many videos posted here, it's different. Everyone posted had a main bearing noise. Mine only occurs when its driving at that kinda low speed.

Just imagine me driving in Soho, New York, looking all cool with the sexy M3, and next thing, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.
I've had a really similar sound but it was a lot louder. With mine it happened when I accelerated from a stop, slowed down to a stop, and whenever I turned left. Just imagine me slowing down in the middle of downtown DC to flirt with a group of college girls only to hear the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and then speeding away to avoid embarrassment with another CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. I took it to the dealership and they were able to replicate the noise but couldn't figure out what it was. But luckily for me the noise is gone now.

First check your exhaust. I found out that the hanger mount thing near the bumper was broken clean off the exhaust causing it to sway side to side so I temporarily tied them back together with these metal bands at Home Depot. It seemed to lessen the noise.

But it was only after I drove the car really aggressively (I was late for work) that the noise completely disappeared.

So I suggest you do the same thing but not on those bumpy pothole ridden NYC streets, find yourself a nice stretch of highway to haul ass on.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
I've had a really similar sound but it was a lot louder. With mine it happened when I accelerated from a stop, slowed down to a stop, and whenever I turned left. Just imagine me slowing down in the middle of downtown DC to flirt with a group of college girls only to hear the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and then speeding away to avoid embarrassment with another CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. I took it to the dealership and they were able to replicate the noise but couldn't figure out what it was. But luckily for me the noise is gone now.

First check your exhaust. I found out that the hanger mount thing near the bumper was broken clean off the exhaust causing it to sway side to side so I temporarily tied them back together with these metal bands at Home Depot. It seemed to lessen the noise.

But it was only after I drove the car really aggressively (I was late for work) that the noise completely disappeared.

So I suggest you do the same thing but not on those bumpy pothole ridden NYC streets, find yourself a nice stretch of highway to haul ass on.
hmm thank you, I was looking at a video or a thread you have posted about your noise. I don't think its the exhaust, its kinda...unique. what it sounds like is a screwed up sway bushing ish. but then again, it can be the exhaust I guess. I'm gonna crawl under the car and move the exhaust around etc.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
cjrivera
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3 & 2012 X5M

I had a similar noise in my e46 M3. Turns out it was a bushing.
Saw a video of it on youtube and it was the exact sound and problem I was having...

Not sure if this is what is happening to you or not, but it sounds similar.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
hmm thank you, I was looking at a video or a thread you have posted about your noise. I don't think its the exhaust, its kinda...unique. what it sounds like is a screwed up sway bushing ish. but then again, it can be the exhaust I guess. I'm gonna crawl under the car and move the exhaust around etc.
Here's what I was talking about. Notice the DIY metal clamp...I have no idea what could have cause the sound. It didn't seem like it would be the exhaust for my situation either. The dealership looked at the sway bars but that wasn't it. It's weird because I thought the sound was coming from the back of the car but the dealership said it was coming from the front....Anyways best of luck to you. The sound disappeared after about 1000 miles (10 miles of aggressive driving) for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

100% the issues your having are coming from your differential.

call your dealer or take it into another dealer, and tell them you rear a "grinding" noise coming from the rear when you make low speed turns

the issue is, these DCT, BMW used SMG diff oil, which is not viscous enough. They really don't want to replace it unless you nag at them. Do yourself a favor and do not be a hero when explaining the problem, say you hear a grinding noise at low speed turning, and they will take care of it

I just had this performed on my car last week and no issues since, Swapped out my diff fluid. Goodluck
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Check your wheel hubs and rotor heat sheilds..stones and pebbles may be caught in there
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

i listened to it again, i used to get that clunk/grinding noise only at low speed turns, particularlly whenever id do uturns or turns on a slope etc. it clunks/grinds as you turn and as i straigtened out the wheel it goes away. again i think this is something to do w/ the oil in you diff. make sure they swap it out if they haven't already. if they argue with you show them this post and tell them their full of crap if they don't do it. BMW dealers are well aware of the issue and should have inventory of replacement diff fluid. my issues have gone away since.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #13
TomTankslely
Rep
Drives: aodi

Check your wheel hubs and rotor heat sheilds
      04-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Well its extremely unlikely to be the diff.
Its hard to tell without hearing in person - but if the noise occurs in the transition from power on to power off then its likely to be something in the drivetrain. One of the splined joints in the propshaft or one of the universal joints connecting the driveshafts.
You could try jacking up one wheel and turn it backwards and forwards and see if you can hear the clicking noise however there is by design a certain amount of lash in the drivetrain so some noise is normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

thanks guys, the dealerships replaced the diff oil already I'll check the rotor hubs to see if there's anything there, it's true. maybe there's a pebble stuck

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Check your wheel hubs and rotor heat sheilds..stones and pebbles may be caught in there
That's what I was thinking. I've had a stone in a wheel and it sounds like you are running over soda cans constantly.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Thanks for the input guys,

So I took the car back from the dealerships, they insisted that I take the car back from them within 24 hours, no more, or they will charge me for storage fees (wth).

SO i drove the car back home, but weird, I hear no sounds. I drove it aggressively for about 3-4 miles, and no sounds at all. I'm gonna take the car back out for a drive tonight after work. If there's no sound then I have no clue whats wrong. I will check the wheel hubs first remove the wheels, clean the rotors etc.

btw, the dealerships didnt fix anything at all, they said they took the car out. My SA told me "theres no sound, we cant replicate it, my top tech was a race car driver, he would hear everything if theres a problem"

In my head, i'm thinking, really? a race car driver? work at a shitty bmw dealer as service tech?

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
btw, the dealerships didnt fix anything at all, they said they took the car out. My SA told me "theres no sound, we cant replicate it, my top tech was a race car driver, he would hear everything if theres a problem"

In my head, i'm thinking, really? a race car driver? work at a shitty bmw dealer as service tech?
Appreciate 0