BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
gee-cue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n/a

Engine oil ?

Engine oil ?? The m3 is not telling me that I need oil I know it usually shows up by the idrive screen but Wen I click on the switch on the left hand side of the wheel where it switches from km/h to mph the oil bar that shows up in the front wheel screen is not shaded in like it\'s empty ?? How do I check engine oil ??
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Does the car need to warm up for a bit?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

The car needs to warm up and then it take its time calculating the oil level. If the oil level shows on the iDrive screen then it should show on the onboard computer readout on the cluster.

Good luck.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
According to the manual, if you're driving, it'll take up to 5 minutes for the sensors to detect the oil level (or 1 minute if you're idling). Just wait and it will tell you. The car has no dipstick, so iDrive or console if the only way to see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

I have the same issue - I noticed a month or so ago my oil was low, but didn't think much of it. Then this morning, the engine oil warning goes off. Do I have to worry about a leak? I'm guessing the engine burns some oil?

I am thinking of changing my oil myself - but in the interim, is there a place I can get a liter of oil to add?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
I have the same issue - I noticed a month or so ago my oil was low, but didn't think much of it. Then this morning, the engine oil warning goes off. Do I have to worry about a leak? I'm guessing the engine burns some oil?

I am thinking of changing my oil myself - but in the interim, is there a place I can get a liter of oil to add?
The engine does eat the oil depending on how you drive

you can do the interval changes yourself all you need is the oil and filter which you can get from tischer @ getbmwparts.com last i checked the kit was $190 maybe it has gone up or down since

You can get a liter of oil from the dealer. The car uses 10w60. Other than that if there is no dealer and oil is need right away it is stated in the manual that you can use one quart of regular synthetic to hold you off until the oil needs to be changed without causing harm to the motor

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
The engine does eat the oil depending on how you drive

you can do the interval changes yourself all you need is the oil and filter which you can get from tischer @ getbmwparts.com last i checked the kit was $190 maybe it has gone up or down since

You can get a liter of oil from the dealer. The car uses 10w60. Other than that if there is no dealer and oil is need right away it is stated in the manual that you can use one quart of regular synthetic to hold you off until the oil needs to be changed without causing harm to the motor
Heh, thanks 1sikbmr, much appreciated. May call a couple stealerships in LA - Southbay and BMW Bev Hills. Maybe I can buy a quart or perhaps even get a top-off for free?

I definately want to look into getting the oil change kit, though doing the quick math, isn't it cheaper to get the components seperately? 9 quarts x $12 each + $17 filter = $125?

Also, do you need jacks to do the oil change or can you just slide under the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Dreamz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY 13 E92 AW ZCP

Quote:
Heh, thanks 1sikbmr, much appreciated. May call a couple stealerships in LA - Southbay and BMW Bev Hills. Maybe I can buy a quart or perhaps even get a top-off for free?

I definately want to look into getting the oil change kit, though doing the quick math, isn't it cheaper to get the components seperately? 9 quarts x $12 each + $17 filter = $125?

Also, do you need jacks to do the oil change or can you just slide under the car?
I highly recommend reading all the posts in this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185785
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

OH wow my bad I put $190 its way cheaper than that lol it's only $140 from tischer see link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

You definitely need a jack(x2 and stands) or ramps car is way too low to squeeze under there unless you have no bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz View Post
I highly recommend reading all the posts in this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185785
+1

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone that has put over $70K or close to it anyway with taxes on the table would change there own oil.

Doing this on our now so advanced cars is surely taking a heck of a chance.

I will have my oil changed at the dealership as long as I drive my car, so if there is something ever wrong with my engine they will not be able to say

"Well sorry but you burned your engine"

For the dollar difference (dealer charge verses your cost and your time) of this activity is it really worth taking that chance? I don't think so... what say you think about it and the possible ramifications ...

The only thing I ever did on one of my former cars (a 1987 Mercedes AMG) was to provide the dealer with the oil that I purchased myself (Mobil 1 5W30 Super-Syn Formula).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-30-2011 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: added note about Mobil 1 5W30 Super-Syn Formula
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone that has put over $70K or close to it anyway with taxes on the table would change there own oil.

Doing this on our now so advanced cars is surely taking a heck of a chance.

I will have my oil changed at the dealership as long as I drive my car, so if there is something ever wrong with my engine they will not be able to say

"Well sorry but you burned your engine"

For the dollar difference (dealer charge verses your cost and your time) of this activity is it really worth taking that chance? I don't think so... what say you think about it and the possible ramifications ...
you sir put a lot of trust into your dealership. Some people, including myself, prefer to work on their own cars instead of some tech from bmw. What makes you think that if your engine was to "burn" the dealer will do anything about it if you are out of warranty anyways? How do you know they won't say that you damaged the motor even if they changed the oil.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1sikbmr

Well I just know the dealership and the high class of trained technicians that work there. You do have to thrust some people in your life, like surgeons, dentists, hairdressers, your tailer etc, I am sure you would not attempt to carry out tasks the former have learned and perfected well

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
1sikbmr

Well I just know the dealership and the high class of trained technicians that work there. You do have to thrust some people in your life, like surgeons, dentists, hairdressers, your tailer etc, I am sure you would not attempt to carry out tasks the former have learned and perfected well
agreed. although I have seen people attempt self liposuction lol. In these necks of the woods it is hard to find a dealer that is competent to do even the simplest of tasks so it is hard to trust them with your baby.

Leaving things on a good note I actually enjoy the time I spend working on my car

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Have to agree with Rolf on this one...would rather trust in them and be able to point the finger back at them if something goes wrong. Better chance of getting an issue taken care of. But I do not discount that fact that you must find a service dept that you can trust.

...my 2 cents worth.
      09-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I find it hard to trust the dealership with anything... I brought my car in for service and they drove it into a curb. While they did end up paying for the repairs, I'd rather not have them mess it up in the first place.

As for "highly trained" technicians... it doesn't take much to get hired as a tech to do oil changes. This is the lowest skill task that is handed to new technicians or trainees.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Well at our dealership (in the populated areas here nearing 1 million and above) there are the type of dealerships that one can thrust in. The prime reason for this of course is competition between the dealerships. I do have to agree that there are dealerships that have been acquired by the accountant minded individual that only has the dollar signs in his eyes and as such is soon to fail. I've seen these types of dealerships and one can see fairly fast if the dealership is capable or not in handling the tasks.

I know that the technicians are trained to handle the high end cars we are driving, the training is provided by BMW and all of the technicians at the dealership that I visit here have certifications to that fact.

On my former cars (not as complex as the one I am now driving) I also changed my own oil and plugs as well as air and oil filters. In addition I did minor maintenance tasks such as brakes etc. I have to further agree that it was fun to do all those tasks, however, as for today on the cars we drive at the speed we drive them I trust in the fellows that have been trained.

I have to say and agree that this is a great thread for individuals that feel up to the task to change there own oil some great posts, instructive literature, links and photographs indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I like to tinker with my own cars just as much as the next guy. However, now that I am retired I gladly pay someone to do the task, perhaps it's my way of contributing to the economy if only in a very remote percentage margin

Oh yes ... if anyone from BMW should be reading this thread ... I also cast my vote that on our next M3 we want our DIP STICK back if not we get a Benz

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: added DIP STICK comment :)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
macavant
always on the "M" button...
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I brought my car in for service and they drove it into a curb.
Ouch. I'm glad that the dealer paid for the repair - but I agree; it should not have happened in the first place. Which dealer is this ?