BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Extensive keying - All primary panels - Depressing post&pics...

Well we see these sad stories that pop up here every so often. They seem to get a lot of community empathy which is a good thing. In short my poor car will need to be somewhat disassembled and almost, or perhaps fully repainted and re clear coated from 45 seconds of a violent destructive lashing out with no rhyme or reason. Photos to follow a short story...

I debated leaving my car at my office in Irvine (near I-5 and Jamboree) during an overnight business trip (a driving trip but took my colleagues big SUV for more comfort for 4 of us). I pondered leaving my car nearby at a colleagues place or with a good friend and encouraging them to actually drive the car and have some fun (I've got some very trustworthy friends!). In the end, based in part on Irvine's stellar reputation as one of the safest cities in the US, I just decided to leave it at my office. I grabbed a great spot between some hedges on one side and an handicap spot on the other. We were gone for just about 24 hours and upon returning I did see a scratch, but thought due to its location and curved shape to perhaps be just some odd water/debris streaking driven by aerodynamics. My colleague, despite it being dark was admiring my car (he's a gear head and has driven it but still takes the time to admire it now and again) and asked if I had a scratch. From there it was all downhill... extensive key marks. During the walk around inspection I found extensive and deep (3-4 "track") key marks on nearly every major panel of the car. They even got the CF roof and roof trim. The front is all clear bra covered and when they could not get a scratch into the car through the clear bra they simply dug in with more and more pressure to insure damage to the hood. The clear bra clearly frustrated the perpetrator here which is a bit bizarre...

My initial guess is that this will be a $20k repaint job and to think that this took about 45 seconds to inflict is a bit mind boggling. The Irvine PD showed up quickly and asked all of the logical questions (ex-girlfriends, ex-wife, coworker, angry client, etc.) all of which are definite no's. Thus we are left with a$$hole teenager, thief upset that no juicy laptop was available or perhaps a reasonably knowledgeable "car guy" who was really jealous. I'm about 99% sure that this was done to my car very specifically because of the type of car and perhaps because it stood out a bit being well maintained, clean and waxed. That's really sad.

My car is completely covered with a reasonably low deductible so that's good. But she'll never be quite the same again. Blending the paint/clear around panels and into the inside of the vehicle and around all of the edges will be challenging. All of the trim that must be removed and all of the chances for broken trim bits falling into somewhere and perhaps not fitting just quite as well as OEM is certainly depressing. I suspect I'll be without a car for close to a month.

Overall I'm taking this better than I expected. My wife was amazed how well I appear to be taking it all. However, infuriating and depressing it is, I am trying to focus on two key points. 1. The shop I have in mind (Penske in San Diego) will do a phenomenal repair job. Their "mantra" is that for any repair you simply will not be able to distinguish the car from new. 2. We just can't be too attached/obsessed or vulnerable to let replaceable possessions really interfere too greatly with our enjoyment of life. The more angry I get the more the perpetrator here "wins".

Thanks in advance to this community. I know I'll hear from some old and new online buddies here, as well as complete strangers and that in itself encouraged me to rapidly share my story here.

Do let it be a lesson. I'm sure many of you are even more particular than me. Just take the conservative route with your car when possible. Park further away and walk, leave the car with a buddy in a good neighborhood, use your garage, even if sometimes a bit inconvenient, etc., etc.

Well cutting to the chase here are the gory details...
Attached Images

| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

what the fuck
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

*smh*. Sometimes people really disappoint me.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Wow. That sucks to see. Odd that they did the roof too which means they walked around the car and reached over it rather than just key it walking by. Some people are just odd. I don't get it. Rest assured it'll be fixed and just like new!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
Wow. That sucks to see. Odd that they did the roof too which means they walked around the car and reached over it rather than just key it walking by. Some people are just odd. I don't get it. Rest assured it'll be fixed and just like new!
Odd is a kind understatement...

Car was not readily accessible on the entire left side due to hedges (you could walk there and I exited there but it was a tight fit). The person walked into this "dead end" space and back out just to maximize damage across the ENTIRE vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
And1M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

Wow people are so crude. They should get what is coming to them. As they say, what's goes around comes around and karma is a b---h.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
XR_SIX
Bading-dong!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E93 M3 AW, '09 R6

Garage List
2011.5 E93 M3  [0.00]
i am so sorry this has happened to your beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Really sorry to see this awful thing happen and kudos to you for keeping some perspective as difficult as it may be. Any chance for the business having a parking lot surveillance camera (or nearby buildings)?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Geez.. that is pretty bad! They very much went out of their way to do that. I feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

I'm one of the strangers who is here to tell you to keep your head up and continue the good attitude you have about it. With that said, I hope the f@cker that did that gets curb stomped. What a complete LOSER with no understanding of respect.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
regensburg94
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR M3 ZCP 6MT

Really sorry to see this. I would be really, really upset. I am often perplexed about the pure meanness and utter lack of respect that people can show others. It's an act of violence. You're taking it really well - my hat's off to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

I'm really sorry op that really hurts. I can tell you from past experience, modding your car with nice wheels and other cosmetic enhancements definately makes your car more of a target. All my stock cars, were never messed with, while my old modified e92 m3 and 335i were keyed on more than once occasion.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

No security cameras around? The office building I work at has cameras facing towards the parking lot. Sorry for your loss!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #14
DeleteAccountPlease
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0

Well mines not quite as bad, but I feel your pain. Parellel parked my car perfectly on the side of the road to go shoping. Both vhicles infront and behind had more than enough room to get out. But unfortunetly some dumb $@#! didnt know how to back up. This happened in under 2 hours smh. Im am getting a new bumper and am ordering some small cameras to attach to the front and back of my window (inside) just incase this happens again.

Last edited by DeleteAccountPlease; 12-05-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Really sorry to see this awful thing happen and kudos to you for keeping some perspective as difficult as it may be. Any chance for the business having a parking lot surveillance camera (or nearby buildings)?
Good idea. I checked very roughly (as it was dark) as did the Police Officer and we saw no cameras. I will be double checking that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I'm really sorry op that really hurts. I can tell you from past experience, modding your car with nice wheels and other cosmetic enhancements definately makes your car more of a target. All my stock cars, were never messed with, while my old modified e92 m3 and 335i were keyed on more than once occasion.
Interesting point and it makes sense in a twisted sort of way. The nicer your stuff looks and the more personal and special you have made it, the more it pisses off others...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #16
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

This stinks. I believe in karma, so somewhere, somehow, whoever did this will learn a hard lesson at some point in their lives. But I tip my hat to you, OP, for not letting this upset you. You're spot on. All it does is allow them to win, and takes away your enjoymeny with your family and friends. I'm certain it'll be repaired just right, and best of all, it's cosmetic damage, so it'll drive as good as it ever has.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #17
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

omg, those f@ckers
sorry for u
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

Im sorry for your situation, suck. But with the plethora of M3 idiots so eager to prove themselves in threads like "do you track your M3" and "M3 vs Income" etc. etc. It just goes to show the type of owners of BMW are, and that stereotypes are true, which makes us amazingly common targets. Its sad but true. BMW owners do think they're "all that" despite some try to act humble and pretend they are, and they are somehow "better" than all the other car enthusiasts out there, I am just no longer surprised anymore when this kind of stuff happens. I do feel for you tho, the car will never been the same, nor its resale value and paint. And in a city like Irvine where Bimmers and Benz are everywhere, it just goes to show, as there are plentiful of examples from this forum alone, that money =/= class. I think its a good reason to move up to a better car tho, maybe a Porsche?
      12-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #19
vezax
casualol
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

What a travesty. Amazing how a short fit of jealousy/rage can cause so much destruction. I hope your car gets properly restored back to its former glory.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

sorry to hear and see that. hope it will be restored to 100%.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

When i see someone ....do things like that.....then someone will be murdered !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #22
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Oh man, so sorry for you .

It so frustrating to see the lack of respect in our society .

I wish you all the best at getting it fixed, and kudos to your great attitude about it .
Appreciate 0