BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Exhaust advice needed, Leaning towards Corsa, but need X-Pipe recommendations

Backgound...... had AA Sig Exhaust + AA HFC XPipe, sounded absolutely wicked on track, but just too much drone for a daily driver so I sold the Xpipe and still have the AA Sig Exhaust.

I知 looking to go back to the dark side with either catless or HFC Xpipe and based on reviews around here, I知 leaning towards selling my AA Exhaust and going with the Corsa rear section. I知 on a pretty tight budget, so right now I was looking at the Corsa matched with a Borla Quad-resonated catless X Pipe. Macht Shnell xpipe is super cheap, but for $300 more duckettes, I think the 2 extra resonators may be worth it in the long run. ?

Car is a DD, so need no drone and for it to be pretty civilized when cruising around town. Also sees some track time (6-8 events per year) so also want it to sound good at WOT.

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Get something with huge resonators, and don't go catless. Cats act like resonators too.

The Borla stuff seems to be designed quite well:

06-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Any full catless x pipe + sport muffler will give you the loudness you want when under throttle but be very quiet and civilized when cruising. I have had many, many exhausts and am now running the same= sport muffler w/ quad resonated x pipe. Very, very loud when I want, and very quiet when I want. Literally the best of both worlds, like having a valved exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Any full catless x pipe + sport muffler will give you the loudness you want when under throttle but be very quiet and civilized when cruising. I have had many, many exhausts and am now running the same= sport muffler w/ quad resonated x pipe. Very, very loud when I want, and very quiet when I want. Literally the best of both worlds, like having a valved exhaust.
Sweet, thanks for info. How about the smell from having no cats? That concerns me too..... spend time sitting in traffic to and from work, so don't want something that smells too bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Backgound...... had AA Sig Exhaust + AA HFC XPipe, sounded absolutely wicked on track, but just too much drone for a daily driver so I sold the Xpipe and still have the AA Sig Exhaust.

I知 looking to go back to the dark side with either catless or HFC Xpipe and based on reviews around here, I知 leaning towards selling my AA Exhaust and going with the Corsa rear section. I知 on a pretty tight budget, so right now I was looking at the Corsa matched with a Borla Quad-resonated catless X Pipe. Macht Shnell xpipe is super cheap, but for $300 more duckettes, I think the 2 extra resonators may be worth it in the long run. ?

Car is a DD, so need no drone and for it to be pretty civilized when cruising around town. Also sees some track time (6-8 events per year) so also want it to sound good at WOT.

Suggestions?
I wouldn't be afraid of going catless, as long as you have at least 1 set of resonators. I'm running ACM test pipes, secondary cat delete, oem resonators, paired with Eisenmann Race. It's definitely on the louder side, but I wouldn't hesitate to jump in the car and drive it cross country. Instead of deleting the secondary cat completely, I was actually going to install another set of resonators (to make 4 total), but ended up not doing it because I liked the sound as is.

Plus the Corsa is on the tame side, so that'll also help you out.

Btw, nice video dparm, never seen that one before. I like my S-type, but it was a bit quieter than what I wanted. But it did have some really nice base. I wasn't a fan of the tips though. The angle and looks were great, but they stuck way too far under the bumper for my taste.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Sweet, thanks for info. How about the smell from having no cats? That concerns me too..... spend time sitting in traffic to and from work, so don't want something that smells too bad.
As for smell, I have 0 issues with it. I drive with the windows down 90% of the time (not winter obviously), and it's all good. I actually quite like the smell when I'm standing behind the car
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
As for smell, I have 0 issues with it. I drive with the windows down 90% of the time (not winter obviously), and it's all good. I actually quite like the smell when I'm standing behind the car
That's pretty common to like the smell!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
It stinks, but I kind of like it ... It's not too bad really and you get used to it. Windows up you never smell it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

I had Corsa exhaust with test pipes last year before I bought my MPE, it sounded awsome, no need to buy an expensive X-pipe, all you really need is a cheap set of test pipes!!

As for the smell, never really noticed any!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 06-19-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
I had Corsa exhaust with test pipes last year before I bought my MPE, it sounded awsome, no need to buy an expensive X-pipe, all you really need is a cheap set of test pipes!!

As for the smell, never really noticed any!
Thats because you're still running 2 200 cel cats like I am. Only time i get a tiny bit of smell is when they are cold but I like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Can't go wrong with the Corsa! I love mine!

I've also ridden in a catless (OEM Piping with Cats removed) + a borla Exhaust and there was 0 drone. That's when I went on the hunt to replace my Eisenmann Race.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

MS xpipe, which deletes all cats, it has two resonators, and then I have a Corsa out back. Amazing exotic sound, quiet when you need, a beast when you want. Don't think twice man, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0