BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
karan239
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman
talk to forum member bmwpower06. He got a paid summer internship at BMW NA. While not BMW group, he might be able to gain you some insight on what to do, or who to talk to.

Otherwise, pick up the phone and start calling for info.
Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
karan239
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
IT is way too general a field to say you want to do something in IT. You can be anyone from the Best Buy Geek Squad to a Data Architect to a CTO and they are all in "IT".

Plus as username11 mentioned, I doubt M would have its own dedicated IT. They would probably share services with BMW.
I should have been more clear in my post. I meant specific research and development in an area that focuses on the usage of software systems to enhance performance tuning; only BMW M has those projects. It would be a computer science / software engineering internship, not IT per se.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
karan239
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan239 View Post
Hi All,

I am currently a university student in USA and am VERY MUCH interested in pursuing a summer internship at BMW M GmbH, in the area of Information Technology. I saw their online listings at the BMW careers website, but none are for the M group.

Would anyone be able to provide me any feedback on how to go about applying at BMW M or connect me with someone I can speak with about the same?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a great idea ... you may even get a employee discount on the purchase of a fine new BMW.

I recommend you contact "[COLOR="Red"]Dackelone[/COLOR]" he is a [COLOR="Black"]Moderator and stationed in Germany[/COLOR] Dackel is a nice fellow, he might provide you with the right address and contact information. Click on my link below (my signature) then you see his Nickname click on it and send him a PM. Good luck

One of my friends (was a Aircraft Engineer) he took a job for one year as a cleaner in the Mercedes Factory some 30 years ago. Just pushing the broom to help keep the place spotless. He did this just to relax, be close to the cars he loved then at the end of that year he drove away with a discounted brand new Benz Mind you it's not for everyone still he seamed to have had a blast doing it
Thanks for your feedback. I'll update this thread in case of any progress
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
karan239
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
I think this is a really bad idea. If you get an IT internship at BMW you will likely end up miles away from any BMW M people or facility doing completely unrelated work. Teams and departments can seem like completely different companies at large companies. If you want to do embedded systems design for BMW M first get an internship doing embedded systems design for whoever is the big name in that field. Then network to get the job you want post graduation.

Being the IT help desk guy 200 miles away from BMW M while learning a completely unrelated skill set will not get you the job no matter how nice you are and will just end in frustration. What you are suggesting is akin to: "I want to get a job as a investment banking associate at Goldman Sachs so I am joining their food service staff and plan to smile at people a lot." You'd be much better served getting an internship in the right field, getting one at a different company is much better than having one that is unrelated.

That said, if you can network your way into an internship at M doing embedded systems design *now*, then you're the man. Good luck.
I do see your point. But I'm looking at possibilities based on the talks with BMW recruiters in the US. And all "non-software companies" do all of their internal software dev / IT work as part of one big I.T. department. BMW is no different. Their IT dept in Munich develops software that's used across all their vehicles, and then particular models and M have separate versions created to work with them. The right sort of entry project might just get me the chance to go where I wanna go. I know its like shooting darts in the dark. But I'm gonna keep trying.

Anyhow, thanks for the long responses I appreciate all the feedback I can get.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

A few years back I got an internship with BMW USA. The reason why I didn't do it was because I would have had to commute from Queens, NY to New Jersey everyday...

Maybe another day!
Appreciate 0