BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Need help with paypal options!!!

I have put an item up for sale on this forum and recieved interest from someone with a very low post count. Having heard many horror stories about people getting ripped off when other forum members with very low post counts have disputed a paypal charge, I want to make sure that if this person does send me the money, it is done in a way that I can protect myself from fraud nd keep the money that is rightfully mine before I send the item and lose both the money and the item. Does this kinda stuff only happen when they pay with credit cards? Is there an option I can use or a setting that I can change to only accept a certain kind of payment? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

There is no way to protect yourself from paypal fraudulent claims, other than to only accept paypal from people you have reason to trust. Good feedbacks, personal knowledge, gut feelings, whatever. Paypal favors the buyer, so if somebody claims they didn't get your goods, they were trash, etc., Paypal will freeze your account until the dispute is resolved, at best.

This is why a lot of people only sell locally, for cash. OTOH, for the record, I've had many paypal payments over the years and never had a problem. But plenty of people have had them. Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
There is no way to protect yourself from paypal fraudulent claims, other than to only accept paypal from people you have reason to trust. Good feedbacks, personal knowledge, gut feelings, whatever. Paypal favors the buyer, so if somebody claims they didn't get your goods, they were trash, etc., Paypal will freeze your account until the dispute is resolved, at best.

This is why a lot of people only sell locally, for cash. OTOH, for the record, I've had many paypal payments over the years and never had a problem. But plenty of people have had them. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm waiting for another buyer
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
if you aren't familiar with online selling, don't participate in it.

also, your post count is 0. why should anyone trust you?

didn't mean to come off the wrong way, but thats the reality of it..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
also, your post count is 0. why should anyone trust you?

Because everyone starts at zero! If noone trusts people with zero feedback, then noone will ever get above zero!
      12-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

I don't know what everyones concern is with PayPal, I have been using it for years and if a problem comes up I just file a claim and get my money back. Never had a problem with it. You have "Buyer Protection" with PayPal, just do not send money as a gift. If you have any questions call PayPal 1-888-221-1161 and they'll explain it all to you.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
I don't know what everyones concern is with PayPal, I have been using it for years and if a problem comes up I just file a claim and get my money back. Never had a problem with it. You have "Buyer Protection" with PayPal, just do not send money as a gift. If you have any questions call PayPal 1-888-221-1161 and they'll explain it all to you.
That's it, in a nutshell! As a buyer, paypal is great. For sellers, not so much...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
matrix76
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's it, in a nutshell! As a buyer, paypal is great. For sellers, not so much...
As long as you provide tracking information you have nothing to worry about because that is all PayPal will ask for. If the buyer is NOT happy with what you sent them they have to return it to you and provide a tracking number or they will not get a refund. As a seller you can send an PayPal invoice to him/her stating " No refunds offered on this sale" and then he/her accepts the terms and conditions of the sale once they send the money to you.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Matrix --

Obviously, you have not read the many horror stories about Paypal account freezes and ripoffs by buyers. If all goes according to plan, it's not a problem. If not...

I know an online gem dealer who stopped taking Paypal completely after it happened to him several times. I've never had a problem myself, as I stated before, but it DOES happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
matrix76
Major
Rep

Quote:
Matrix --

Obviously, you have not read the many horror stories about Paypal account freezes and ripoffs by buyers. If all goes according to plan, it's not a problem. If not...

I know an online gem dealer who stopped taking Paypal completely after it happened to him several times. I've never had a problem myself, as I stated before, but it DOES happen.
I have been a seller and buyer on ebay, and forums, for years and I have never had a problem that was not resolved via PayPal. Like I said, if tracking information is provide PayPal will follow the paper trail. If a seller receives a return item in not "as shipped" condition the seller can file a counter claim to recover the value of the original item. Failing to take the appropriate PayPal steps will result in problems. Like I said, in over 15 years I have never lost a cent and have filed over 60 claims against buyers & sellers via PayPal.

Last edited by matrix76; 12-03-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0