BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

04-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #89
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Price ca. 550 Euros minus our dealer discount (not much on M-Sport parts....). Took us ca. 2,5 hrs to install. Two people.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #90
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRing View Post
Price ca. 550 Euros minus our dealer discount (not much on M-Sport parts....). Took us ca. 2,5 hrs to install. Two people.
Ty for the response. Another quick question where does it go/install in the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #91
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep

take out the radiator and you get to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #92
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Where does the fluid come out of? I thought it was out the top since someone had a tube connected to the nipple on top to drain the fluid?
On the side of the cap, there is a small vent.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #93
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I just had my first episode of what I would call mild steering fluid burping yesterday. Temp was only in the 60s, but I had recently refilled the reservoir from bottom of dipstick level to the top. I like the sweat band fix, it;s cheap, it works and adds no weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #94
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
On the side of the cap, there is a small vent.
Thanks. Now I remember that little vent tab.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #95
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I just had my first episode of what I would call mild steering fluid burping yesterday. Temp was only in the 60s, but I had recently refilled the reservoir from bottom of dipstick level to the top. I like the sweat band fix, it;s cheap, it works and adds no weight.
Cheap but it doesn't really work. They do not put the bigger cooler in the GT4 for nothing or just for cosmetical reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #96
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Thanks so much for the info guys, this is why I'm here. Will be trying the wristband idea tomorrow as going for 2 days this weekend and quite a few this year. Thx for the info.
      04-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #97
VictorH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Cheap but it doesn't really work. They do not put the bigger cooler in the GT4 for nothing or just for cosmetical reasons.
I agree the engineers don't add parts for the reasons you outlined, however, I'm not aware of anyone who's had the power steering fluid problem ever report any change in the performance of their power steering or wear related problems (as long as you don't run out). One can of power steering fluid runs $28 at my dealership and I'm happy to stay on top of maintaining the level. It seems hard to justify 550 Euro + 2 hrs labor for an occasional fluid spray that just happens at track events. Perhaps there's another rational and if so I'd like to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #98
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
I agree the engineers don't add parts for the reasons you outlined, however, I'm not aware of anyone who's had the power steering fluid problem ever report any change in the performance of their power steering or wear related problems (as long as you don't run out). One can of power steering fluid runs $28 at my dealership and I'm happy to stay on top of maintaining the level. It seems hard to justify 550 Euro + 2 hrs labor for an occasional fluid spray that just happens at track events. Perhaps there's another rational and if so I'd like to hear it.
Well, I'm here to tell you that it can damage the internal parts in the pump. In 2009 I went to BMW's Advanced M-School at Virginia International Raceway. The power steering on roughly half the M3 (maybe four cars) failed. BMW quickly pulled them off the track and sent them to the garage for new pumps. We were told that this is a very common problem on some tracks, with the overheated fluid melting and deforming some of the internal, plastic pump parts.

BMW insisted on running totally stock cars for the M-Schools. The cooler is a great solution. Another fix that's not quite as expensive, but not quite as good either, is putting a heat shield between headers and pump.

It's a real issue, that many of us have wittnessed.

Oh, apparently long, full-throttle straights, followed by twistees sets up the conditions that lead to failure, like at VIR.

Dave
      04-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #99
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep

Here a pic of the GT4 cooler in the car. This cooler is twice the size.

You can see the top row in front of the radiator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #100
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep

The car on the Nordschleife: 6 fast laps, 20 deg C outside temp and no more "boiling" steering fluid.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #101
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

^^ awesome track picture!

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #102
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep

Here is one with the "Evil Stig" in the background
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #103
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Here a pic of the GT4 cooler in the car. This cooler is twice the size.

You can see the top row in front of the radiator.
I want/need this. Can you tell me or pm where you got this and do you know if I can even get this in the US? Thx again
      04-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #104
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
try here: cache.bmwusa.com/Pdf_2f462d7a-ad59-487d-b3c5-c99e8d942b49.arox

It will download the GT4 catalog, then check under steering. Not cheap.
Nevermind my previous post, I'm illiterate
      04-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #105
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the info. This is something I will consider for the future.

How do you know when the fluid starts to boil?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #106
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Thanks for the info. This is something I will consider for the future.

How do you know when the fluid starts to boil?
Interesting question. I suppose that you could install a thermometer in the cap. It'd be interesting to see which conditions caused temps to rise and cool.

Lacking a cap, IME, it goes suddenly, with essentially no warning between working and failure of the internal pump parts.

Dave
      04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #107
VictorH
Major
Rep

I called a reputable race shop who runs a prepared E92 M3 about the power steering fluid question (I'd suggest others call Turner, Bimmerworld or Fall Line and see what they say and please report here) since there seem to be so many opinions regarding this and here is what I was told.

1) The power steering fluid splatter is "no big deal," they are not aware of any power steering pump failures due to this issue.
2) Run the power steering fluid reservoir at the 1/2 full or lower mark to minimize overflow/spray from the cap and monitor the fluid level.
3) Wrap a wrist band or other fabric around the reservoir cap with a nylon tie or other retaining device for track days and remove for regular use.

They did not recommend nor sell an additional power steering cooler for the E9x M3 as they didn't feel it was necessary for typical HPDE track day use.

I believe that there are probably more than a couple of "solutions" to this problem. If you like the idea and have the funds for additional cooling for your PS system, then by all means go for it. If you have good luck with just catching the overflow and maintaining your PS fluid above the minimum this sounds like a reasonable approach too. I only had boil over (if that's what it is, has anyone actually opened the reservoir and seen boiling fluid?) once and that was after I filled my reservoir to full and had a track event one week later. So pick what you like but my bet is that you are probably safe either way you go, but some people are going to feel pretty strongly one way or the other. I'd like to hear from others who talked to other race shops to see if their recommendations differ.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #108
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
... I'd like to hear from others who talked to other race shops to see if their recommendations differ.
The issue may vary by model year and, probably, varies by track circumstances. In 2009, the conditions involved lots of long straights to heat the headers and reservoire. Less full-throttle time per lap might not be as hard on the pump. There were absolutely numerous failures at the Advanced M-School that I attended.

Why Turner would say there's no problem when there clearly was one at VIR is hard to understand, unless the problem has been fixed.

Dave
      04-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #109
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

i haven't seen this yet in the M3's I have driven on the ring however the cars usually sit for several minutes in the car park in between. my problem is the brakes fade at about mid-way through the 2nd continuous lap. cooling is always a good idea. i think the secondary oil cooler would help more than just the power steering pump. also boiling fluid no matter what it is can't be good!
      04-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #110
NRing
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
i haven't seen this yet in the M3's I have driven on the ring however the cars usually sit for several minutes in the car park in between. my problem is the brakes fade at about mid-way through the 2nd continuous lap. cooling is always a good idea. i think the secondary oil cooler would help more than just the power steering pump. also boiling fluid no matter what it is can't be good!
You have to drive it fast

Already after one lap it got too hot. Now even after 5 laps in a row no prob anymore.

Brakes: get ducts and/or Movit.

My engine oil temp is ok.
Appreciate 0