BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #23
LemansE82
Formally known as xXxMLEExXx.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
Not to defend Mackin Industries here, but Mackin Industries does care about customer service. I have gone through this myself, so I wanted to tell Kev what happened to me a while back.

The delivery time on a special order set of VOLK wheels can vary drastically. I'm not making excuses for anyone involved, but you have to understand that sometimes the bad guy is not always so easily identified.

Let me explain why...

I had to wait for almost 9 months to get a set of LE-37T's about four years ago. (polished lip 19's) They were phasing this model out at the time. I had been told in the beginning (by the dealer) that it would take no longer than 120 days (4 months) tops. That's from the time the order was submitted, to the time the wheels would arrive at my front door. That sounded reasonable to me, so I agreed to those terms.

Well...that turned out to be complete BS on my dealers part.

The truth was...VOLK had told him it was on indefinite backorder from day one. Did he happen to relay that information back to me? Hell no...

That's because he probably assumed that I would ask for a refund. (which is probably true)

So for three months, I was under the false impression that my wheels were already built, and they were about to be placed into a shipping container bound for the U.S.

Man was I wrong...

My dealer told me that VOLK was very busy, and my wheels would be built soon. That was another lie...

Two more months pass and I am royally pissed that my wheels are no where in sight. I ask again, and get the run around one more time. At this point, I've had it and ask for my money back. The guy refuses and tells me there are no refunds on special ordered wheels. (regardless of the circumstances)

I realize that arguing back-and-forth with him will solve nothing, and I contacted Mackin Industries directly.

After speaking with one of the employees there, I realize that VOLK was not even scheduled to build another run of LE-37T wheels at the time I placed my order. The dealer was lying to me from the start.

I now double-check every little detail for that very reason. An individual dealer can tell you anything. If possible, go to the source and find out if what you are being told is even true. You may be surprised to find out that things are not always as they appear. (my 2 cents)

Just food for thought Kev...
I can go only by my experience with Macking.
I sent email on questions and attempting to surf thier website.
Website sucks...go see for urself.
Emails never responded...my case anywayz...
So..for Mackin who holds all the stuff I like and want...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

We are an authorized dealer for Mackin products including Volk and Rays.
I believe this will be the first batch of G2 in the country and I was advised by them that the shipment is due to arrive for the G2 and our yokohama RS-D orders sometime end of th this month.

Kev, if you'd like, I can talk to them for you.
Also, they just told me that the flat RS center caps just came in. Will send them out as soon as we have them in our hands.

Hope they get here soon and you know they are going to look good when they do...
      05-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WheelSTO View Post
We are an authorized dealer for Mackin products including Volk and Rays.
I believe this will be the first batch of G2 in the country and I was advised by them that the shipment is due to arrive for the G2 and our yokohama RS-D orders sometime end of th this month.

Kev, if you'd like, I can talk to them for you.
Also, they just told me that the flat RS center caps just came in. Will send them out as soon as we have them in our hands.

Hope they get here soon and you know they are going to look good when they do...
Julius,

Thanks for the offer. Mackin told both me and the vendor the exact same thing about the G2s that they are in the container right now and will be here by late May. I guess I'll have to rock the 220M with my winter tires till then..... After that it'll be G2 and RE11

Do you think I can work some 265/35/19 in the front and 305/30/19 in the back? Thanks.
      05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #26
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

As already mentioned, Mackin Ind. is known for such delays, I have many friend that deal with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Julius,

Thanks for the offer. Mackin told both me and the vendor the exact same thing about the G2s that they are in the container right now and will be here by late May. I guess I'll have to rock the 220M with my winter tires till then..... After that it'll be G2 and RE11

Do you think I can work some 265/35/19 in the front and 305/30/19 in the back? Thanks.
I think that you should be able to but we have not tried them. we have done the 265/30-19 front and 285/30-19 combo on the similar set up of TE37's.

just from calculations, i think that they are possible, but wheel & tire combo is tricky when you are pushing the envelope. They may work and they may not.

I feel like I wasn't much help on this but I definitely would like to see them work as that would be a great set up.
      05-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
VOLK Racing wheels are great, light and very strong, but if they aren't in stock in the US, don't trust your life to Mackin that the wheels will be delivered in a timely fashion.
Sorry man, but I have been saying that for like 5 years. I love Volk wheels, and I am on my 3rd set, but I have accepted that Mackin sucks. If you want Volks you are better off just going with what is already in stock in the US, because you will be waiting 7 months and then still possibly not get your wheels which is what happened to me with my E46 M3. Please let me know what distributor you went with. Thanks.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #29
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
Not to defend Mackin Industries here, but Mackin Industries does care about customer service. I have gone through this myself, so I wanted to tell Kev what happened to me a while back.
I respect you Cleveland, and I wanted to let you know that I waited for 7 months for a set of gold Volk CE-28Ns for my E46 M3. After 7 months here is an e-mail directly forwarded to me from my distributor from a Mackin employee. This e-mail is the reason I tell people know that you can't custom order Volks, and waiting for Mackin to get new wheels in stock in M3 offsets can be painful. I also waited about 5 months to get a set of Volk RE30 Limiteds in E92 M3 offsets which never came. Month after month they said they were coming. Needless to say I settled for some in stock TE37s as I told myself I will not spend another year without wheels.

---- Original Message -----
From: Phillip Phong | Mackin Industries <mailtophong@mackinindustries.com>
To:
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:26 PM
Subject: RE: E46 CEs

Dave,

After talking with the factory in Japan, they have informed us that the reason for the delay is due to the quantity being made. Rays Wheels requires a minimum of 40 pieces each size to make with customer colors. This means they have to make 40 fronts and 40 rears. And this wheel you are asking for is a custom color and lug pattern.

They said they let our purchasing department know but no one informed me about this. If your customer is willing to wait, then I can push the factory to make these. Otherwise we may have to find another wheel for your customer.

Sorry.

Best Regards,

Phillip Phong
Sales and Marketing
Mackin Industries
www.mackinindustries.com <http://www.mackinindustries.com>
562.946.6820 Ext. 116
562.946.3417 Fax
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
GTS-R
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I am planning to order a set of TE37 in bronze 19x9.5 front 19x10.5 rear. Bronze is a standard color, but will this be considered a 'custom' order?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS-R View Post
I am planning to order a set of TE37 in bronze 19x9.5 front 19x10.5 rear. Bronze is a standard color, but will this be considered a 'custom' order?
Yes, anything not in stock or coming over in a container is a custom order. There is a 0% chance you will get those wheels unless the distributor you are buying from is ordering 20 sets of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yes, anything not in stock or coming over in a container is a custom order. There is a 0% chance you will get those wheels unless the distributor you are buying from is ordering 20 sets of wheels.
What is so strange about this?

You order a custom set of wheels that a manufacturer needs 40 wheels of to start production. If you are 1-4 of 40, you're going to have to wait. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

A wait is not hard to understand, but they aren't custom. We aren't talking about making a new mold and designing a new wheel. How long should he wait Joe? I waited 7 months. What is an acceptable wait? What if he orders this set and another 19 M3 owners never say they want Bronze TE37s. Mackin produces TE37s every day, but they won't do your specific bolt pattern and offset without 80 wheels ordered in that color. That isn't the way things should work. It would be different if say we had a 5x114 bolt pattern shared with the 350Z/G35, but we have 5x120 and Mackin seems to be focused on bringing over +30 to +40 offsets for all those E46 and 335i owners instead of us E92 owners.
Appreciate 0