BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

06-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

MotoGP: Iveco Daily TT Assen (6/28/2014)

<<---- This is The Cathedral.
It seems like just yesterday we were reveling over the flag to flag excitement of the Catalunya Grand Prix.
Well, here we are just a week later and a week away - already gearing up for the MotoGP Tourist Trophy
stop in Assen, Netherlands! From the sweltering heat of Barcelona, the pack travels north to the Dutch TT, the Cathedral of Speed.

It was here - at the TT Assen - where in 2013 Valentino Rossi broke a 2 year no-win streak and won!
He was followed by Marquez and in 3rd came Crutchlow.
But that was 2013. Will Rossi be able to pull from his experience and current momentum to stop the
onslaught that is Repsol and MM93??

Circuit info:
Length: 4.542 m / 2.822 miles
Width: 14m
Left corners: 6
Right corners: 12
Longest straight: 487 m / 0.303 miles
Constructed: 1955
Modified: 2012
Race Length: Laps 2/3 of laps Total Distance
26: 118.1 km - 73.4 miles
24: 16 109.0 km - 67.7 miles
22: 14 99.9 km - 62.1 miles

The longest-running event on the MotoGP calendar, the Dutch TT in Assen is always held on the last Saturday in June in a carnival atmosphere that attracts raceday crowds of more than 100,000. Assen’s foundations in motorsport were laid back in 1925 during the first Dutch TT. The modern circuit was first constructed in 1955 on the site of those brick-paved public roads and it underwent a major modification in 2005, which reduced its length from just under 6km to 4.555km. It has also seen small modifications in the past two years with work done to make the Ruskenhoek chicane less angular and thus a few metres shorter. The final result is a faster circuit, in keeping with Assen’s generally flowing nature.

Known as ‘The Cathedral’, its main straight is a mere 560m long, yet Assen still boasts one of the fastest average speed laps on the calendar and its flowing turns – eleven right and six lefts – mean it remains a favourite for riders and spectators alike.

The TT experience is more than visit a motor racing: the TT awe. Since 1925, riders have gone to Assen at the highest level globally : all the champions fight to win in the Cathedral of motorsport. The TT has, for decades, been the biggest one-day sporting event in the Netherlands with more than 100,000 visitors. The TT is about tasting the atmosphere, marvelling at beautiful bikes and enjoying the glitz and glamor on and around the track.

Points so far:

1. M. Marquez 175
2. V. Rossi 117
3. D. Pedrosa 112
4. J. Lorenzo 78
5. A. Dovizioso 71
6. P. Espargaró 58
7. A. Espargaró 54
8. S. Bradl 50
9. A. Bautista 34
10. B. Smith 40

Not much in the way of prep photos or news right now, so I'll just give you some GG's while we wait for the TT

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-24-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
thetastelingers
Master Baiter
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 SOLD  [10.00]
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

@thetastelingers : LOL! I figure it's always safe to post up the grid girls when all else fails

----
I wonder if this will be a factor again;

“The faster rider in the final laps was Dani. I was pushing and maybe if he passed me he couldn't go away but he was the fastest. In the end you must manage your tools. So when he overtook me I passed him back really quick because his rhythm was really good, especially on used tyres.”
-- Marc Marquez

So let's here some predictions! Post up your top 5 finishing

Here's mine:

1. Marquez
2. Rossi
3. Pedrosa
4. Lorenzo
5. one of the Espargaros (probably Pol)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I agree with your prediction 954. For whatever reason I don't think Pedrosa will run as strong in Assen.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Marc Marquez:
"We are still in enjoying a really good momentum but we know it can't go on forever! I really like Assen and have had some good results in the lower categories, and last year we took second in my first visit there on the MotoGP machine. The weather is always unpredictable there so we will, as always, work hard from the first session to find a good setup"

Dani Pedrosa:
"It was good to be back at the front and fighting in Catalunya! I'm looking forward to going to Assen and hope I'm one step fitter again as last year I didn't really have a good race, so I hope to improve. The weather is usually tricky so you must make the most of any dry track time. I like the track but it's important to find a good setting and feeling with the tyres as there are a few very fast corners"

Alvaro Bautista “During Barcelona Qualifying I had a big crash, but fortunately nothing is broken, so I will be fully fit for Assen race weekend. Also at this Grand Prix we will find several fast corners, like at Mugello and Catalunya: at the moment we are struggling with this kind of corners, so we need to improve on this area. Anyway, during the post-race test in Spain we found some improvements with regard to the brakes and hopefully we will use the new parts already in Assen. Unfortunately I was still sore from the fall, so I couldn’t do a lot of work on the bike set-up, but we remain confident: if we stay focused during the practice, looking for a good compromise for the fast corners, we can achieve a good result”.

Scott Redding “I like the Assen TT circuit, and I also like the Country, where there is always a good atmosphere. We only need to take a look at the weather, as it could be a little tricky there, always changing. Anyway, this is another circuit on which I’m comfortable, even though it’s quite narrow, so I will need a bit of time to get acquainted with it aboard a MotoGP bike. The first sector could suit well our bike, but surely the other two sectors will be difficult for us because of the straights. During the Barcelona post-race test we managed to find some more traction: it will be interesting to see if this could be helpful to be fast in Assen, with all those long corners where you need as most traction as possible”.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-24-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Difficulty for the braking System at Assen: LIGHT
<<------------------------------------------>>
The Dutch track is one of the most spectacular and technical of the entire championship but at the same time also one of the least demanding for brakes. In fact, it is a very "guided" circuit where the fast bends generally determine not very demanding braking while the fast stretches allow excellent cooling of the braking systems and guarantee good operating temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I agree with your prediction 954. For whatever reason I don't think Pedrosa will run as strong in Assen.
I am thinking he will be a little "shy" ( if you will) after what happened at the last race. It's the psychology that'll play a factor

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-24-2014 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I an thinking he will be a little "shy" ( if you will) after what happened at the last race. It's the psychology that'll play a factor
I'm conflicted. I want Rossi to net a few wins, but I want Marquez to have a perfect season.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I'm going to go with Marquez on this. I thought really hard about this pick.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I'm going to go with Marquez on this. I thought really hard about this pick.
While I do agree, Marc recently had this to say

We are still in enjoying really good momentum but we know it can't go on forever! I really like Assen though and have had some good results in the lower categories, and last year we took second in my first visit there on the MotoGP machine."

"The weather is always unpredictable there so we will, as always, work hard from the first session to find a good setup."
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Can't get enough of that wonderful mu..

...holding Petronas helmets, I know. but the Monster grid girls are a big part of motogp too! In fact, I think the one on the right has been at a few motogp weekends this season already
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Compounds available:
Front: Extra-soft, Soft & Medium

Rear: Soft, Medium & Hard (Asymmetric)

Bridgestone wet tyre compounds available: Soft (Main), Hard (Alternative)

The schedule for the Dutch Grand Prix at a glance
Thursday:
09:00 - 09:40 clock: Moto3 - Free Practice 1
09:55 - 10:40 clock: MotoGP - Free Practice 1
10:55 - 11:40 clock: Moto2 - Free Practice 1
13:10 - 13:50 clock: Moto3 - Free Practice 2
14:05 - 14:50 clock MotoGP - Free Practice 2
15:05 - 15:50 clock: Moto2 - Free Practice 2

Friday:
09:00 - 09:40 clock: Moto3 - 3 Free Training
09:55 - 10:40 clock: MotoGP - 3 Free Training
10:55 - 11:40 clock: Moto2 - 3 Free Training
12:35 - 13:15 clock: Moto3 - Qualifying
13:30 - 14:00 clock: MotoGP - 4 Free Practice
14:10 - 14:25 clock: MotoGP - qualifying (Q1)
14:35 - 14:50 clock: MotoGP - Qualifying (Q2)
15:05 - 15:50 clock: Moto2 - Qualifying

Sunday:
08:40 - 09:00 clock: Moto3 - Warmup
09:10 - 09:30 clock: Moto2 - Warmup
09:40 - 10:00 clock: MotoGP - Warmup
11:00 clock: Moto3 - The Race
12:20 clock: Moto2 - The Race
14:00 clock: MotoGP - The Race

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-25-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Marc Marquez:
"We are still in enjoying a really good momentum but we know it can't go on forever! I really like Assen and have had some good results in the lower categories, and last year we took second in my first visit there on the MotoGP machine. The weather is always unpredictable there so we will, as always, work hard from the first session to find a good setup"

Dani Pedrosa:
"It was good to be back at the front and fighting in Catalunya! I'm looking forward to going to Assen and hope I'm one step fitter again as last year I didn't really have a good race, so I hope to improve. The weather is usually tricky so you must make the most of any dry track time. I like the track but it's important to find a good setting and feeling with the tyres as there are a few very fast corners"

Alvaro Bautista “During Barcelona Qualifying I had a big crash, but fortunately nothing is broken, so I will be fully fit for Assen race weekend. Also at this Grand Prix we will find several fast corners, like at Mugello and Catalunya: at the moment we are struggling with this kind of corners, so we need to improve on this area. Anyway, during the post-race test in Spain we found some improvements with regard to the brakes and hopefully we will use the new parts already in Assen. Unfortunately I was still sore from the fall, so I couldn’t do a lot of work on the bike set-up, but we remain confident: if we stay focused during the practice, looking for a good compromise for the fast corners, we can achieve a good result”.

Scott Redding “I like the Assen TT circuit, and I also like the Country, where there is always a good atmosphere. We only need to take a look at the weather, as it could be a little tricky there, always changing. Anyway, this is another circuit on which I’m comfortable, even though it’s quite narrow, so I will need a bit of time to get acquainted with it aboard a MotoGP bike. The first sector could suit well our bike, but surely the other two sectors will be difficult for us because of the straights. During the Barcelona post-race test we managed to find some more traction: it will be interesting to see if this could be helpful to be fast in Assen, with all those long corners where you need as most traction as possible”.
More quotes

Andrea Dovizioso:
“Assen is a strange track because of the layout and also because of the weather conditions that we normally find during the race weekend. For us last year’s race was very difficult, but after the result we obtained in Barcelona, where we cut the gap to the leaders by half from 2013, we hope to continue this positive trend in the Netherlands.”

Cal Crutchlow :
“Assen is definitely one of the tracks in the championship that I like the most. I had a great race there last year, taking the pole and sharing the podium with Rossi and Marquez. There’s no doubt my championship so far has been difficult, but I’m going to Assen with confidence,and we’ll all give 100%, you can be sure of that.”

Pol Espargaro:
"I am looking forward to getting the racing underway at this special circuit in the Netherlands this week. We had a really positive test day after the Catalunya Grand Prix which has given me a further confidence boost ahead of this round and for sure I am very keen to see the results of our experiments at the test in action. Last year the Dutch TT was a really strong event for me where I won the Moto2 race from pole position and although it may be hard to emulate that this year, I still aim to get close to the leading riders. Realistically, I am targeting to be in the top 5 again as I know this is fully achievable and even though the weather can be a bit tricky, I am ready to race in Assen."

Bradley Smith:
"It’s safe to say that the past five rounds really haven’t been how I would have imagined them. My lack of luck in the past races has made things challenging but after the truely productive test, I am certain my fortunes will turn around this week in Assen. I‘ve ridden well here in the past having collected a podium in the 125cc class as well as in Moto2 during my first year aboard the Tech3 Racing Moto2 bike. Moreover the track certainly suits the style of the Yamaha, which I aim to utilise fully to ensure that we have a positive weekend especially in front of the Dutch and English fans who are brilliant and truly love our sport coming to their country. "

Nicky Hayden:
“We had a tough weekend at Catalunya but we still managed to have a good race. Hopefully this weekend at Assen is less of struggle – I like the circuit a lot and I have a lot of good memories after some good results in the past. I am looking forward to getting there and seeing how I feel – hopefully I will be stronger than last time. I am sure that the team will continue to work hard and the chemistry between us will continue to build as it has been doing all year. On paper we should be more competitive at Assen than we were in Barcelona because the straights are shorter and the layout should suit our bike. The weather is always changeable in Holland but I am looking forward to getting there and riding and hopefully challenging for a better result than Barcelona.”

Jorge Lorenzo
After a bit of a disappointing weekend in Barcelona where I gave my best even when some circumstances didn't help us, we travel to Holland with plenty of optimism. In Barcelona we struggled a bit with the acceleration, especially in the last part of the track where we used to be so strong in the past. This year that issue didn't allow me to fight in front for the victory.

“Afterwards during two test days we found some solutions to solve that problem and we tested new things to try to cut off the distance with our main rivals. I look forward to racing in Assen, it's maybe my favorite circuit. It's a nice layout defined by some quick corners and a short straight that looks good for us, and especially for the Yamaha. In recent years I couldn't got so many good results but instead I always could find a good set up and ride in my best way. Last season I finished fifth after a surgery on my collarbone and I suffered a lot but finally I could conclude a very special race. Anyway, looking into the future it is the best opportunity to do my best and try to get my first win. We will see!”

Valentino Rossi:
“Assen is a great track and a good track for Yamaha. The weather will be very important here. You never know if it will be hot or cold or dry or wet. Last year's race was unforgettable but honestly this year I feel I am strong almost everywhere so we have to try hard to beat the competition.”

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-25-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

*** In FP 2 Aleix Espargo just took P1 AND the Assen lap record!!***

1. A. Espargaro --- 01:33.653 17
2. M. Marquez ---- 01:33.864 19
3. D. Pedrosa --- 01:34.069 20
4. J. Lorenzo --- 01:34.148 19
5. A. Iannone --- 01:34.277 24
6. B. Smith --- 01:34.286 20
7. V. Rossi --- 01:34.286 21

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-26-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This made me laugh lol
Valentino Rossi broke away from the script when delivering a prepared answer to the question 'why does the Dutch MotoGP take place on a Saturday'.
“Because the track was close to a church and the priest didn't want noise on Sunday, so they decided to hold the race on Saturday. This is the reason,” Rossi told the assembled media at the start of Wednesday's official pre-event press conference.
But the Italian then quipped: “It's strange because Superbike is on Sunday - so maybe the priest prefers Superbike!”

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-26-2014 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Q2:
1. Aleix Espargaro ESP NGM Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha) 1m 38.789s [Lap 2/7] 299km/h (Top Speed)

2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 40.194s +1.405s [2/7] 289km/h

3. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 40.732s +1.943s [3/8] 302km/h

4. Andrea Iannone ITA Pramac Racing (Desmosedici) 1m 40.786s +1.997s [2/7] 290km/h

5. Cal Crutchlow GBR Ducati Team (Desmosedici) 1m 40.796s +2.007s [2/6] 291km/h

6. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 40.818s +2.029s [3/4] 296km/h

7. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici) 1m 41.140s +2.351s [3/7] 296km/h

8. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP (RC213V) 1m 41.982s +3.193s [3/8] 277km/h

9. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 42.259s +3.470s [3/8] 297km/h

10. Alvaro Bautista ESP Go&Fun Honda Gresini (RC213V) 1m 42.884s +4.095s [3/6] 289km/h

11. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1)* 1m 43.085s +4.296s [2/6] 300km/h

12. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 43.625s +4.836s [2/8] 299km/h

Q1:
13. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing (RCV1000R) 1m 34.907s
14. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Drive M7 Aspar (RCV1000R) 1m 34.930s
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Pramac Racing (Desmosedici) 1m 35.056s
16. Scott Redding GBR Go&Fun Honda Gresini (RCV1000R)* 1m 35.059s
17. Danilo Petrucci ITA IodaRacing Project (ART) 1m 35.346s
18. Colin Edwards USA NGM Forward Racing (Forward Yamaha) 1m 35.484s
19. Broc Parkes AUS Paul Bird Motorsport (PBM-ART)* 1m 35.513s
20. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Avintia) 1m 35.631s
21. Michael Laverty GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (PBM-ART) 1m 35.731s
22. Nicky Hayden USA Drive M7 Aspar (RCV1000R) 1m 35.792s
23. Mike Di Meglio FRA Avintia Racing (Avintia)* 1m 35.980s