BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Dreams and Meds

So I have some bad intermittent anxiety issues about work and school. I've been on Xanax for about a year, .5-1mg daily as needed. I built up a tolerance to it so last week my doctor put me on a similar dose of Klonopin instead.

I don't know what the deal is but every night since the switch I've had fucking awful nightmares, the kind that wake you up and make you not want to sleep ever again. At this point I'm thinking that maybe it's the new medication. Xanax dependency comes with nasty withdrawals but since I'm now on a different benzo I wouldn't think that this would have too great of an affect. Is it possible that the Klonopin is causing this? GI symptoms? Body chemistry? Withdrawals? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not taking any other meds besides an SSRI.

Calling the doc tomorrow to ask him as well, but what the hell is going on?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Most likely the drug. Benzos come with serious psychological side effects. The two work similarly but can have different effects on different people. Definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Yeah benzo's will do that. So will a lot of other anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medicines. Lexapro is a big one that gives lots of people side effects.

Don't know why your doctor started you on Xanax though. I guess it's low-dose, but it's usually for the short term treatment of anxiety. I wouldn't recommend using it for more than two weeks since it is easy to build a physical tolerance and dependance to it. Same for Klonipin. They stimulate your GABAergic systems too much and you get habituated.

I would see if I could get a different anti-anxiety medicine on top of the SSRI you're taking. Try asking if you can take something like Wellbutrin (Bupropion) on top of what you're taking. The combination could be what you need (since Wellbutrin is not a SSRI). Or.. SSRI's by themselves can also be effective for anxiety, but it takes a higher dose than what you'd normally take for depression.

I just would not advise taking any benzo for longer than two weeks. Xanax and Klonopin are, in my opinion, really the best for acute symptoms such as a panic attack or persistent anxiety before bed or something (they really knock you out haha).

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Definitely the meds. Maybe try something else. I take Lexapro for anxiety and it also makes me dream heavily and vividly. But 99% of the time they're not nightmares. I actually look forward dreaming every night because they're now so detailed and I can actually remember them after I wake up.
      05-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

^ I will give that a try, I need to get on something. I had an anxiety disorder and doc gave me some anti depressants, but i stopped takin them. Gonna have to get back on something
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Get off of Xanax or K-pins, I wouldnt recommend Lexapro either, turns you into a zombie and you little to no emotion. Welbutrin is an ok one to try. Lex and Wel both take about a month to get in your system though, they are SSR inhibitors that level serotonin over time, rather than just mask the anxiety by calming you down.

What you're on can be very addicting, very
      05-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Benzos aren't a long term treatment and your doctor shouldn't be suggesting it is. I'd be looking into a different doctor as well as a different medication. Also, any doctor who puts you on barbs and doesn't call you back ASAP is an ominous sign.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Benzos aren't a long term treatment and your doctor shouldn't be suggesting it is. I'd be looking into a different doctor as well as a different medication. Also, any doctor who puts you on barbs and doesn't call you back ASAP is an ominous sign.
Exactly, now if you're older they tend to scribe them because they believe you can handle the addiction possibilities. Doctors tend to avoid giving them to kids for the reason I gave above, I would get a new doctor or go to psychologist who will know more about these meds than a General Physician.

If your anxiety is an everyday thing, you should be on SSRI, but if it just happens rarely a benzo can be taken for that one instance to calm you down.
      05-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Zoloft is a long term SSRI
      05-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post

Totally agree.

Talk therapy has been shown to be effective as well.
      05-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Or just smoke weed.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Some studies have actually showed that once you down regulate natural production of canabinoids you become more anxious and paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

I really should have said this before, but do not go OFF the benzo's until you find a new doctor to treat you the correct way.

The medicine you are taking, as I said, stimulates your GABA receptors in your neurons, which depresses your nervous system. Alcohol does the same thing. You will pretty much experience alcohol withdrawal if you suddenly stop taking your meds.

Fun Fact: Alcohol (and benzo) withdrawal is the only withdrawal that can physically kill you.

No withdrawal is pleasant, but as you bombard your GABA receptors with the drug (alcohol or benzo), they will become desensitized. When those receptors are active, your nervous system becomes depressed, which is important for many things such as sleep and staying calm.

When you stop taking the drugs, your receptors can't feel shit, so they won't activate and therefore won't depress your system. You'll get worse anxiety than you've ever known. You'll shake uncontrollably, hallucinate, and experience delirium tremens, which is pretty much panic attacking yourself until your body gives out from hypertension, fucked up heartbeat, unregulated body temperature.. etc.

You can't be dumb enough to stop cold turkey without a doctor.. but then again you DID ask the OT forum for medical advice, so I CANT STRESS ENOUGH TO SEE A DOCTOR AND DONT DO ANYTHING BY YOURSELF. THIS IS YOUR LIFE.

and shame on your old doctor, you should honestly look into legal action.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I really should have said this before, but do not go OFF the benzo's until you find a new doctor to treat you the correct way.

The medicine you are taking, as I said, stimulates your GABA receptors in your neurons, which depresses your nervous system. Alcohol does the same thing. You will pretty much experience alcohol withdrawal if you suddenly stop taking your meds.

Fun Fact: Alcohol (and benzo) withdrawal is the only withdrawal that can physically kill you.

No withdrawal is pleasant, but as you bombard your GABA receptors with the drug (alcohol or benzo), they will become desensitized. When those receptors are active, your nervous system becomes depressed, which is important for many things such as sleep and staying calm.

When you stop taking the drugs, your receptors can't feel shit, so they won't activate and therefore won't depress your system. You'll get worse anxiety than you've ever known. You'll shake uncontrollably, hallucinate, and experience delirium tremens, which is pretty much panic attacking yourself until your body gives out from hypertension, fucked up heartbeat, unregulated body temperature.. etc.

You can't be dumb enough to stop cold turkey without a doctor.. but then again you DID ask the OT forum for medical advice, so I CANT STRESS ENOUGH TO SEE A DOCTOR AND DONT DO ANYTHING BY YOURSELF. THIS IS YOUR LIFE.

and shame on your old doctor, you should honestly look into legal action.

How do you know all this?
      05-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
How do you know all this?
5+ years (thus far) of study

Wasn't trying to go overboard (i now realize how long my comment is, hah) but i just wanted OP to grasp the severity of the situation and the ineptness of his doctor.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
5+ years (thus far) of study

Wasn't trying to go overboard (i now realize how long my comment is, hah) but i just wanted OP to grasp the severity of the situation and the ineptness of his doctor.
Interesting yet scary stuff.

What about opiate withdrawal, I thought that was dangerous as well.

What are you studyin for?