BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Any review of the Hydrate yet? Thanks
I'm digging the Hydrate. It gives it a little more of a wet look while allowing for drying to be a bit easier. Apparently it coats the car for a little more protection. Overall it's a good product, not necessarily needed, but I would buy it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
I'm digging the Hydrate. It gives it a little more of a wet look while allowing for drying to be a bit easier. Apparently it coats the car for a little more protection. Overall it's a good product, not necessarily needed, but I would buy it again.

Thanks. I think i'm gonna give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
k2e15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Interesting... what product were you using before?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2e15 View Post
Interesting... what product were you using before?
Nothing really, maybe the Griots Spray Wax here and there, but not consistently.. I like the Hydrate more though. What are u using now?

Last edited by ki__; 05-22-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
k2e15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not really, maybe the Griots Spray Wax here and there, but not consistently.. I like the Hydrate more though. What are u using now?
I have been using the Zaino products. The Spray wax they have is Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray. Been curious about the Ammo though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #28
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2e15
Quote:
Not really, maybe the Griots Spray Wax here and there, but not consistently.. I like the Hydrate more though. What are u using now?
I have been using the Zaino products. The Spray wax they have is Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray. Been curious about the Ammo though.
I haven't found anything superior to the Zaino system. From my experience, the durability and especially the shine is unmatched.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
k2e15
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
I haven't found anything superior to the Zaino system. From my experience, the durability and especially the shine is unmatched.
Thus far I will hands down agree with you on that!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #30
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
I ordered the paint and wheel regiments. I'll be trying them out next weekend if they get here in time and I'll give a review.
      07-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #31
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

i bought the whole kit of stuff and it works really well. also had larry do a 'new car detail' on my M a few weeks ago and it looked amazing. pm me for pics
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #32
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
i bought the whole kit of stuff and it works really well. also had larry do a 'new car detail' on my M a few weeks ago and it looked amazing. pm me for pics
Give some feedback
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #33
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple
Well... if it is from NYC it must be better than everything else out there.
God, I had a roommate from NYC who would say this about everything, EVERYTHING. To the point of, dude, just shut your ball washer.

No wonder everyone thinks New Yorkers are annoying as f**k.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #34
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Give some feedback
disclaimer: i have never washed my car myself using anything other than Ammo and only started washing it myself a few weeks ago. so i cannot compare to any other products. i can say that me washing it myself makes it cleaner than getting it hand washed

wheel soap and plum wheel spray: the wheel spray works well at getting all the brake dust off. i bedded my brakes in a few nights ago and the whole wheel was grey from dust. a few sprays on each wheel of the plum wheel spray and it all rinsed right off in conjunction with soap

the foaming car soap: foams up really nicely with foam gun and works to get dust and dirt off car. trunk is usually really dirty due to my akra evo but with very little effort and scrubbing, it all comes off. works to get bugs off my front bumper as well and gets bird poop off without needing to spray anything else on it

degreaser/bug remover: for bugs that are hard to remove with the foaming wash, the bug remover works well. a few sprays and then wiping it off and bam they're all gone

hydrate: Larry told me that the purpose of hydrate is to lubricate the micro fiber before drying the car so that it doesn't scratch the car, because scratches usually come from drying. whether that works or not, no idea. however it is pretty cool that each time i dry the car, it glosses it and pretty much is as if I'm waxing the car while drying it. gives it a nice glossy shine

ammo spit: had to use this today actually because was getting car photographed. so on the way, a few bugs and road tar, etc got on the paint. literally just sprayed it on and everything came off pretty easily

ammo skin: really nice wax-like thing for the paint. just put it on, wait a little bit, rub it off, and the car feels very soft and it gives it a really nice shine. Larry told me that when he detailed my car, he put several layers of the skin on and it helped to really make it shine and stand out. skin lasts a while on the paint too. washed it several times since he applied it and its still really smooth and soft

interior stuff: cannot comment on those because I use leatherique and chemical guys. however i am sure that the quality of the interior products are as good as everything else. overall I'm really happy with Ammo products and i would def buy them again when I run out. they seem to last a while also. i don't need to use that much of any of them while going through my regimen. hydrate and wheel spray seem to be going the fastest, however that just depends on usage. my wheels get really dirty so i need to spray more on. and haven't really found a good amount of hydrate to put on yet. i just spray it all over the microfiber every few passes or so

sorry for rambling. I'm tired. pm me and ill email pics
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #35
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissM3 View Post
for durability, nothing beats Collinite. Your car will feel slick and bead for 6-8 months later. Not the best clarity, but works awesome for $ 15.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
disclaimer: i have never washed my car myself using anything other than Ammo and only started washing it myself a few weeks ago. so i cannot compare to any other products. i can say that me washing it myself makes it cleaner than getting it hand washed

wheel soap and plum wheel spray: the wheel spray works well at getting all the brake dust off. i bedded my brakes in a few nights ago and the whole wheel was grey from dust. a few sprays on each wheel of the plum wheel spray and it all rinsed right off in conjunction with soap

the foaming car soap: foams up really nicely with foam gun and works to get dust and dirt off car. trunk is usually really dirty due to my akra evo but with very little effort and scrubbing, it all comes off. works to get bugs off my front bumper as well and gets bird poop off without needing to spray anything else on it

degreaser/bug remover: for bugs that are hard to remove with the foaming wash, the bug remover works well. a few sprays and then wiping it off and bam they're all gone

hydrate: Larry told me that the purpose of hydrate is to lubricate the micro fiber before drying the car so that it doesn't scratch the car, because scratches usually come from drying. whether that works or not, no idea. however it is pretty cool that each time i dry the car, it glosses it and pretty much is as if I'm waxing the car while drying it. gives it a nice glossy shine

ammo spit: had to use this today actually because was getting car photographed. so on the way, a few bugs and road tar, etc got on the paint. literally just sprayed it on and everything came off pretty easily

ammo skin: really nice wax-like thing for the paint. just put it on, wait a little bit, rub it off, and the car feels very soft and it gives it a really nice shine. Larry told me that when he detailed my car, he put several layers of the skin on and it helped to really make it shine and stand out. skin lasts a while on the paint too. washed it several times since he applied it and its still really smooth and soft

interior stuff: cannot comment on those because I use leatherique and chemical guys. however i am sure that the quality of the interior products are as good as everything else. overall I'm really happy with Ammo products and i would def buy them again when I run out. they seem to last a while also. i don't need to use that much of any of them while going through my regimen. hydrate and wheel spray seem to be going the fastest, however that just depends on usage. my wheels get really dirty so i need to spray more on. and haven't really found a good amount of hydrate to put on yet. i just spray it all over the microfiber every few passes or so

sorry for rambling. I'm tired. pm me and ill email pics
post pix please.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #37
Tanz_S65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT

So after nerding out on most of the videos on the Ammonyc website and getting a pretty good sense of how detail crazy Larry is I bought some products and had emailed Larry a couple times (side note he's really responsive which is pretty cool and stand up in my opinion) to clarify some things. I'm very impressed with the Skin, Hydrate and Spit. Ordering some more products to test the rest.

Here's the other thing I'll add after going to a detailing seminar he invited me to last weekend at an awesome Porsche museum: Larry is extremely knowledgable about paint finishes and detailing down to a level that I've never seen before. Also the thing that really sold me on the product even though I had already used a few of them which isn't flaunted as much as I think it should be: Larry has a chemist/chemical engineering background specific to car washing and detailing products where he was able to formulate his own mixes of product to use in his detailing business to give himself a higher quality product then he could buy off the shelf which he's now bottled and put up for sale on his website. He formulated each to not have fillers or low quality ingredients so that he could build a reputable detailing business and because he is still pretty small the price is higher but the quality is literally as good as it gets.

Also I respect the fact that all his videos online are structured around teaching rather than pushing his product and that really is his motto. I really can't say enough good things about the product, and the brand.

I typically am super skeptical about products especially at this price point but the results don't lie and as an engineer myself I can relate to the obsessive/perfectionist mentality that Larry has so I'll continue to use the product. I'll post some pictures after I get the Creme wax and Mud tire dressing next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #38
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
post pix please.
check my thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...6#post14303786

edit: thread actually doesn't show how glossy and shiny Ammo products make it because the goal was to reduce all reflections. but pm me and ill email pics. I'm too lazy to upload and post lol
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #39
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
I didn't take pictures, but I used AMMO on my VW a couple of weeks ago and I thought it worked fantastic. I've never really used high in soaps or waxes on my car before, but I thought this stuff was awesome. I especially loved the spit and hydrate.
      07-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #40
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch View Post
I didn't take pictures, but I used AMMO on my VW a couple of weeks ago and I thought it worked fantastic. I've never really used high in soaps or waxes on my car before, but I thought this stuff was awesome. I especially loved the spit and hydrate.
Ordering this stuff today. Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #41
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Came across his youtube videos. Not sure what to make of this 'Hydrate' system. I mean, isn't it better to not wipe at all? Even if you use a wet MF towel, you introduce the possibility of scratches...(ie, contaminated towel) My philosophy has always been to minimize wiping, so using air drying, blotting with a waffle weave will suffice, and be cheaper....but hey I'm not a pro detailer
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Came across his youtube videos. Not sure what to make of this 'Hydrate' system. I mean, isn't it better to not wipe at all? Even if you use a wet MF towel, you introduce the possibility of scratches...(ie, contaminated towel) My philosophy has always been to minimize wiping, so using air drying, blotting with a waffle weave will suffice, and be cheaper....but hey I'm not a pro detailer
No you're spot on. Either way there is a small chance of introducing swirls and other scratches you just have to find the method that you believe will induce the least amount of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #43
atombomb33
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Alpine White

Might have to check out some of these products. I typically use Griot's products, some Chemical Guys stuff and some Meguiars stuff. But, I'm always up for trying new things.

Appreciate 0