BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #67
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
1000. I couldn't believe they were putting the Jag up against the GTR. They should of done the whole, "this is a 300k Ferrari (or insert the majority of pricey exotics here), this is a 90k GTR" then video of GTR pulling away and outperforming.

They don't want to piss Ferrari off and not be able to get any more cars from them in the future for testing
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #68
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Huh?

I just listed the prices for parts. How is any of that stuff unaffordable?

What's your idea of 'exotic prices'?

I've spent about $400 at the dealer in the last year.
Of that, about $300 comes from two oil changes.
$100 comes from a custom transmission calibration, where I took the tech for a ride and he tweaked stuff over OBD as we drove around.
The periodic tune-ups are covered under warranty.

Just daily driving the car, it's been very reliable, and quite easy to maintain.
I'm very happy with the GTR.

My tyre wear looks to give around 15k miles per set, given one rotation. That's about 15 cents per mile in tyre wear.

The rotors are massive, and it will take a while to wear them out on the street.
The car weighs the same as a 335, and comes with way more brake surface.
I figure I may need to change rotors every 3 years. About $50 bucks a month when taken over time.

I'll go through a few sets of pads in that time, but again, it's not big money for a few sets of pads over a few years time.

I have a short commute, so my trans/diff oil changes will be every 21 or so months. AFAIK that's $1800 over 21 months, about $85 bucks a month.

All together, tyres, rotors, trans oil, oil, (no pads), comes in at : $282 a month.

We can say (assuming half-race, half-street pads) that I'll spend another $25 a month on pads, so all in all, around $300 a month to maintain the car while under warranty.

Out of warranty, you'll at least have to add the labor of a tune-up - which is about an hour's labor.

You can say it's about $3.7k a year to maintain, taking into account consumables (but not fuel).

-scheherazade
Thanks

Out of curiosity, what are you getting on fuel economy? I'm just wondering how it compares to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #69
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Thanks

Out of curiosity, what are you getting on fuel economy? I'm just wondering how it compares to the M3.
Winter, driving it hard, around 16 mpg.
Summer, driving normally (or somewhat nicely), around 18/19 ish.

(That's in mostly rural conditions. Longer stretches of road (not highway, but not that slow either) with a few stops, paired with a few lights before my destination.)

A highway run, holding a hair below 80 most the way, it'll be in the lower 20's.

The MPG is not great, but it's not bad either.
My parent's honda odyssey gets the same mileage pump-to-pump.
Plenty of pickup trucks with less MPG.
I'm 'ok' with the mileage, so long as the car is fast.
If it was a slow car with this MPG, I'd feel like it's wasting fuel.

It's worth mentioning that the 2012 has improved both in power, and [a little] in MPG.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 07-20-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #70
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
I've spent about $400 at the dealer in the last year.
Of that, about $300 comes from two oil changes.
$100 comes from a custom transmission calibration, where I took the tech for a ride and he tweaked stuff over OBD as we drove around.
The periodic tune-ups are covered under warranty.

Just daily driving the car, it's been very reliable, and quite easy to maintain.
I'm very happy with the GTR.

My tyre wear looks to give around 15k miles per set, given one rotation. That's about 15 cents per mile in tyre wear.

The rotors are massive, and it will take a while to wear them out on the street.
The car weighs the same as a 335, and comes with way more brake surface.
I figure I may need to change rotors every 3 years. About $50 bucks a month when taken over time.

I'll go through a few sets of pads in that time, but again, it's not big money for a few sets of pads over a few years time.

I have a short commute, so my trans/diff oil changes will be every 21 or so months. AFAIK that's $1800 over 21 months, about $85 bucks a month.

All together, tyres, rotors, trans oil, oil, (no pads), comes in at : $282 a month.

We can say (assuming half-race, half-street pads) that I'll spend another $25 a month on pads, so all in all, around $300 a month to maintain the car while under warranty.

Out of warranty, you'll at least have to add the labor of a tune-up - which is about an hour's labor.

You can say it's about $3.7k a year to maintain, taking into account consumables (but not fuel).

-scheherazade
^^^That's a good breakdown on maintenance numbers!^^^

Not bad, not bad at all.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your '12 GTR out the door? How much are your monthly payments?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #71
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
^^^That's a good breakdown on maintenance numbers!^^^

Not bad, not bad at all.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your '12 GTR out the door? How much are your monthly payments?
I have a 2009.

I bought it used with 1500 miles on the clock, for 64k.
$47k down, financed $17k.
Payments are $365 a month.

Technically I could have paid in full, but then I wouldn't have any payments to inflate my credit score, and it's nice to have more cash on hand for emergencies.

I haven't looked at the 2012 prices, so I can't be of much help to you there.

Another option is to get a 2009, cobb AP, downpipes, intake, and the new dunlop tyres, and you have a car that's faster than a 2012 (and for less $).

But stock is stock, and 2012 is the better car if you want a turn-key solution.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #72
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
They don't want to piss Ferrari off and not be able to get any more cars from them in the future for testing
eh exactly right, unfortunately but I think you get the point.

I was very excited about the potential of Top Gear assessing the 2012 GTR this season, this comparo just did not fulfill my excitement.

They could of refueled the ZR1 or the Z06 with essentially the ZR1 package minus the engine (z06 carbon?) vs GTR war that seemed to happen on here. I think that would of been an AMAZING comparison. I could of watched a full hour on that!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #73
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
I have a 2009.

I bought it used with 1500 miles on the clock, for 64k.
$47k down, financed $17k.
Payments are $365 a month.

Technically I could have paid in full, but then I wouldn't have any payments to inflate my credit score, and it's nice to have more cash on hand for emergencies.

I haven't looked at the 2012 prices, so I can't be of much help to you there.

Another option is to get a 2009, cobb AP, downpipes, intake, and the new dunlop tyres, and you have a car that's faster than a 2012 (and for less $).

But stock is stock, and 2012 is the better car if you want a turn-key solution.

-scheherazade
Been reading and watching a lot of the 2012 GTR videos from Motortrend, Motorweek, Top Gear, Fifth gear, etc and all of them concluded with good reviews. It outruns supercars almost twice it's price. It's practically a budget supercar!

$47K down is a lot man. Baller status right there! I was planning on getting a used 2012 GTR next year, put $15-$20k down and finance the rest. My credit is good so I hope Nissan will give me the lowest interest rate possible.

I like the 2012 GTR since it's already fast out of the box. I have been driving a manual for as long as I know and wanted to try and track a car try with paddle shifters this time around. I know it's less involving because of it's AWD and modern elecronics taking over, but it ends up being a lot easier to drive around the track. With all the help from the electronics, taking corners will be a lot easier and that translates to more confidence. I prefer something like that compared to driving a car that's fast and brutal but you end up exhausted, tired and feeling like you just had a wrestling match at the end of each track session. If I get bored with the power, power mods will definitely be considered. In stock form however, the GTR is a force to be reckoned with. Shit, I sounded like a Star Wars fanatic right there. LOL! Hahhaha.

Thanks for the input man.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #74
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Been reading and watching a lot of the 2012 GTR videos from Motortrend, Motorweek, Top Gear, Fifth gear, etc and all of them concluded with good reviews. It outruns supercars almost twice it's price. It's practically a budget supercar!

$47K down is a lot man. Baller status right there! I was planning on getting a used 2012 GTR next year, put $15-$20k down and finance the rest. My credit is good so I hope Nissan will give me the lowest interest rate possible.

I like the 2012 GTR since it's already fast out of the box. I have been driving a manual for as long as I know and wanted to try and track a car try with paddle shifters this time around. I know it's less involving because of it's AWD and modern elecronics taking over, but it ends up being a lot easier to drive around the track. With all the help from the electronics, taking corners will be a lot easier and that translates to more confidence. I prefer something like that compared to driving a car that's fast and brutal but you end up exhausted, tired and feeling like you just had a wrestling match at the end of each track session. If I get bored with the power, power mods will definitely be considered. In stock form however, the GTR is a force to be reckoned with. Shit, I sounded like a Star Wars fanatic right there. LOL! Hahhaha.

Thanks for the input man.

You should consider that when you track, [depending on how hard you push it] you'll be doing a year's maintenance in a weekend. (THAT is baller... because it will add up fast.)

The flappy paddles will bore you. They bore me, and I love stick too. I suspect you'll be hating the paddles too.

AWD is actually fun. It lets you haul ass from a dead stop, and you can whip the car around extra hard with the power down, and just pull like a beast through every turn. To me, way more fun than spinning wheels in RWD, or having to 'chill' for turns.

The fancy electronics are really just the MFD. For all the talk about fancy this and that, it's just traction control. I usually set it to R anyways, and it gives you enough to go sideways.

I've thought about selling mine, and getting a 2012, but I'm not sure it'll be worth it. My particular 2009 has been really reliable, and there's no telling what you're stepping into.

Fundamentally, the 2009-2012 change boils down to : tyres, alignment [note : includes more caster, which needs hardware to mimic in a 2009], intake, cats, and tune. All stuff that's less expensive to mod than the cost difference from 2009-2012 - but maybe not less expensive enough to bother. There'll be more used 2012's out there to switch to later on, but going back to the 'lack of stick', I'm not sure I'd want to stay in the GTR for that long.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #75
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

You're a sick man.. gonna be epic.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #76
Dvazquez
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E93 M3 DCT

damn nice!!!
BMW E93 ` 10 /// M3 | Azurike Black | Cream Beige Leather | DCT | AFE Air Intake | M Drive | Matte Black CF Grill | OEM 18` Gunmetal | Navi | Evo Pulley | Akrapovic Custom made Exhaust | 3d Style diffuser | 12mm spacers |GP Thunder 8500k
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #77
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Quote:
... I'm not sure I'd want to stay in the GTR for that long.
I can help you with that
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #78
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

TOP SPEED IS THE BEST!!!!

What a badass car
      07-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #79
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

This car is fast, no doubt about it, but why whould anyone own it as a daily driver? It just doesnt make sense to me Ofcourse if one tracks it a few times a year its another story, but in this case changing brakes and tires alone plus more frequent fluid changes will make it undesirable for most of us unless you are really really loaded.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #80
phusion974
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: OE Tuned C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewads View Post
I did. It was in 97 degree heat, but it still ran a 7.2.
BEAST!!!
Did you do any 60-130 runs when the car was stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #81
phusion974
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: OE Tuned C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
This car is fast, no doubt about it, but why whould anyone own it as a daily driver? It just doesnt make sense to me Ofcourse if one tracks it a few times a year its another story, but in this case changing brakes and tires alone plus more frequent fluid changes will make it undesirable for most of us unless you are really really loaded.
I agree, changing tires on a car that does this much trq will chew up tires like no tomorrow, Im already on my 4 set of rear tires on my C63 and It has 12k on the odometer.

My buddy used to DD his EVOMS GT800 996 Trubo. Now his DD is a modded 997TT thats doing 60-130 in around 6.5 secs.
Don't see any problem with driving cars like this on a daily basis, if you can keep up with the maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #82
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
I agree, changing tires on a car that does this much trq will chew up tires like no tomorrow, Im already on my 4 set of rear tires on my C63 and It has 12k on the odometer.

My buddy used to DD his EVOMS GT800 996 Trubo. Now his DD is a modded 997TT thats doing 60-130 in around 6.5 secs.
Don't see any problem with driving cars like this on a daily basis, if you can keep up with the maintenance.
I understand what you are saying but i personally wouldnt enjoy driving this car on a daily bases for one simple reason: you just cant use even a fraction of this cars potential without being afraid to be pulled over by a cop. At least here where i leave. I got so many speeding tickets(including 110mph)that cost me thouthands of $$$ to retain my dr. licence. I sometimes question ownership of my m3 since i drive it now like my grandma. I dont track m3 for the same reason i wouldnt track GTR: too heavy, too expensive to track. I got 135i for that, modded heavily and have passed many fast cars
including GTR(advanced group)on short technical road courses.

Last edited by Groundpilot; 07-28-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #83
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
I understand what you are saying but i personally wouldnt enjoy driving this car on a daily bases for one simple reason: you just cant use even a fraction of this cars potential without being afraid to be pulled over by a cop. At least here where i leave. I got so many speeding tickets(including 110mph)that cost me thouthands of $$$ to retain my dr. licence. I sometimes question ownership of my m3 since i drive it now like my grandma. I dont track m3 for the same reason i wouldnt track GTR: too heavy, too expensive to track. I got 135i for that, modded heavily and have passed many fast cars
including GTR(advanced group)on short technical road courses.
'Quick' is very fun, and gets used constantly.

When I'm alone in the car (90% of the time), I floor it right up to the speed limit.

(i.e. If there is space in front, the pedal is to the floor.)

Granted I never use the launch control (just roll up to 5 or 10mph and then punch it).
Not worth shocking the drive train for a tad more 'oomph' for not even a second at the beginning.

Note : Stock exhaust is really quiet, so you don't have to feel like a jac kass either.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 07-28-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #84
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
'Quick' is very fun, and gets used constantly.

When I'm alone in the car (90% of the time), I floor it right up to the speed limit.

(i.e. If there is space in front, the pedal is to the floor.)

Granted I never use the launch control (just roll up to 5 or 10mph and then punch it).
Not worth shocking the drive train for a tad more 'oomph' for not even a second at the beginning.

Note : Stock exhaust is really quiet, so you don't have to feel like a jac kass either.

-scheherazade
+1. I frequently daily drive mine. Even though you can't really explore it's max potential on the road, it's just an amazing car and well worth the compromise.

No one should try to talk themselves out of a GTR without spending a significant amount of time driving one. I wasn't sold until I finally test drove one. At first, I was worried it would be too much for a daily driver, but you get use to the power and begin to like all it's idiosyncrasies, such as it's clunky tranny at low speeds. The car has a lot of character. Two drawbacks are the small back seat legroom and minimal front end ground clearance. Then again, most high performance cars like this don't even have back seats. Fuel economy is actually pretty good. Yes it's going to be more expensive to maintain an m3, but it's not that bad. Oil changes are only about $150. If you are not tracking and have the camber set up right (there is a "street" setting you can get set up during service that is free) the tires can last 10,000+ miles without driving like grandma. My buddy who doesn't track his car has about 13,000 on the original tires. I think he will be changing them soon. I think mine will last 8-10,000 max. Without track use, brakes should last a long time. Of course, if you track this will all change.

Last edited by erio; 07-29-2011 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #85
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

This thread has been really informative! I'm actually trying to choose between a 2011 M3 and a 2012 GT-R right now. There aren't any GT-R's availble to test drive at all, but so far I LOVE the M3. This decision is exceedingly difficult!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #86
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

What are lease monthly payments looking like?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #87
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3 View Post
This thread has been really informative! I'm actually trying to choose between a 2011 M3 and a 2012 GT-R right now. There aren't any GT-R's availble to test drive at all, but so far I LOVE the M3. This decision is exceedingly difficult!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
What are lease monthly payments looking like?
Test drives are difficult to get on new models. Your best bet is to look for a used one to test drive or go over to NAGTROC to find someone in your area that has one.

2012 GTRs are pretty hard to come by due to their high demand and limited supply. Most 2012s sold March-May. They stopped production on the premium models recently. All the new ones hitting the dealers are the black editions. The only differences are the wheels and red accented interior, which I personally don't like. I think the premium wheels suit the car more and look more aggressive.

Unlike an m3 you are rarely going to get one much below sticker. A few premiums are floating around, mostly from dealers holding them in attempt to sell way over sticker price. If you look hard and are not picky about the color you can find one at mrsp or a little below. You can probably get a better deal if you wait for the 2013s to show up next Spring, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by erio; 08-29-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #88
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3 View Post
If you're ever in my neighborhood I'll let you drive mine as hard as you want.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0