BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

06-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #45
Giccy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: like he has much to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_M3 View Post
You say that like its a bad thing. High speed pursuits almost always end bad for innocent people and property. This is why we have a system in place to identify people. It's called license plates.

I'm all for no chases unless its absolutely neccissary for whatever reason.
Who's advocating for chases where it's not absolutely necessary and for no reason?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #46
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
You say that like its a bad thing. High speed pursuits almost always end bad for innocent people and property. This is why we have a system in place to identify people. It's called license plates.

I'm all for no chases unless its absolutely neccissary for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy View Post
Who's advocating for chases where it's not absolutely necessary and for no reason?
+1..So if someone wrecked into your car and you observed it..would you pull into a starbucks for a latte or would you give chase..seems the reason is clear and the chase absolutely necessary..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #47
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
But yea they pretty much told me to follow him. In Houston they won't do anything from a license plate, they need to stop the guy with you there as a witness for the charges to stick.
Don't know about this, at all ...

I've been involved in two hit + run situations in the past ten years here in Houston (one as driver, one as passenger).
I called 911 both times. I was told to make a SAFE attempt, if possible, to get the license plate and drive to the nearest station. I was given clear instruction to NOT get involved with the car/driver/situation.

In both situations a file was opened and the drivers/cars were located within a few weeks. I worked out a private arrangement with my situation, with the help of HPD. The other situation ended up with charges filed.

The story doesn't hang in other ways, either. The "witness" requirement is satisfied with the victim's report - it has to be taken, recorded and verified regardless of the particular circumstances. It doesn't make any difference that the victim actually meet the violator ...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #48
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1..So if someone wrecked into your car and you observed it..would you pull into a starbucks for a latte or would you give chase..seems the reason is clear and the chase absolutely necessary..

A chase is rarely necessary by someone other than an leo with lights and a siren. A wrecked car can be fixed, bullets in your chest, more difficult. In Houston it is reasonable to assume the asshole that hit you is armed. It is difficult for me to take the reasoned sensible approach........
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #49
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccy View Post
Police
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #50
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
Agree.. but just b/c the legal system is flawed we should choose not to participate in it?

I would think if hes in Texas..he has a right to arm himself..guy shows up to his house he calls the cops and if need be protects himself...

Anyways it seems OP only wanted his car fixed..I would sue the pants off the guy
I'm all for participating in the legal system, but I firmly believe protective orders are more of a feel good move. They don't stop people intent on hurting someone.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #51
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
IDK.. the latte seems like it would be just the thing to sooth the nerves after an incident like that.

Citizens don't need to adopt a cowboy mentality. Cops already have the corner on that market.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #52
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
IDK.. the latte seems like it would be just the thing to sooth the nerves after an incident like that.

Citizens don't need to adopt a cowboy mentality. Cops already have the corner on that market.

Sorry I cant relate to that turn the other cheek mentality .I have gone off for someone tapping my bumper during a parking manuever..let alone someone wrecking into it...in NY the situation can be just as dangerous as any "red" state..IDK maybe I should try a latte instead
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
A chase is rarely necessary by someone other than an leo with lights and a siren. A wrecked car can be fixed, bullets in your chest, more difficult. In Houston it is reasonable to assume the asshole that hit you is armed. It is difficult for me to take the reasoned sensible approach........
Even then when danger to surrounding innocent people is imminent it becomes unnecessary (and oddly enough every time I see a high speed pursuit on tv, wouldn't you know it, innocent people all around).

I'm not saying I wouldn't have a hard time taking the sensible approach as well. I'm just saying that it is in fact, the sensible approach (observe and report.. much easier than bullets in chest )
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #54
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Sorry I cant relate to that turn the other cheek metality .I have gone off for someone tapping my bumper during a parking manuever..let alone someone wrecking into it...in NY the situation can be just as dangerous as any "red" state..IDK maybe I should try a latte instead
Let's meet up for latte's. We will find latte zen together

On a side note about the turning the other cheek and relating to it... nobody can (me included). It's not in our (human) nature to do so. That's just some bullshit conjured up by religious zealots. Hence why we are always waring with someone right?

I mean I'm no saint. A lot more passive than I used to be but still human with that all too familiar human nature. Some douchebag was crossing the street too slow against a red light the other day and proceded to give me attitude when I gave the engine a little rev to say "move your fucking dumb ass out of my way or I will move it for you". I of course pulled the car over and got out to see if he wanted to grab a latte with me He didn't..

Last edited by DARK_M3; 06-04-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #55
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Let's meet up for latte's. We will find latte zen together
My zen would be people leaving our cars alone..this stuff never seems to happen when I am driving my daily shit box..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #56
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
My zen would be people leaving our cars alone..this stuff never seems to happen when I am driving my daily shit box..
Yeah I hear you. I've been pretty fortunate with my M and other cars before the M. Nobody really screwed around with them. What kills me is that people that say they come out to their car and it's been spat upon! WTF?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #57
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Some douchebag was crossing the street too slow against a red light the other day and proceded to give me attitude when I gave the engine a little rev to say "move your fucking dumb ass out of my way or I will move it for you". I of course pulled the car over and got out to see if he wanted to grab a latte with me He didn't..

Quote:
Yeah I hear you. I've been pretty fortunate with my M and other cars before the M. Nobody really screwed around with them. What kills me is that people that say they come out to their car and it's been spat upon! WTF?
Having this car for only 4 months now Im finding the level of hate the M draws is unparalleled...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Try Porsche.... pick-up trucks went out of their way to f@ck with me.
I can see that..contrarily a good friend had a gallardo and got massive respect..will except for once where some chic decided to do a photoshoot over the hood of his car .....it really is a bizarre phenomenon how some cars are f@cked with more than others.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #59
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
I can see that..contrarily a good friend had a gallardo and got massive respect..will except for once where some chic decided to do a photoshoot over the hood of his car .....it really is a bizarre phenomenon how some cars are f@cked with more than others.
i don't get messed with at all in either my exige or 1m. I actually got tons of bmw owners come up to me asking about the car (1M).

I got tons of douche bags in civics try to race me in my s2000 though
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #60
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Fuckin' America

Doing work.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #61
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Assuming the story is true, I think the OP exercised considerable restraint...
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #62
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Sheesh...amazing how some people on forums assume the worst in others and automatically assume they are lying.

The OP has nothing to gain from this story.

This story is certainly plausible.

While police would certainly not want a person to chase somebody down, if you all recall, the OP didn't indicate that it was a high speed or aggresive chase to the police and the cops/dispatcher likely assumed he was just following him presumably in a safe capacity.

Cops make mistakes too, which could be another factor in why they allowed the OP to follow the other driver.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #63
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Had quite an adventure this weekend so please excuse me for ranting. This past Saturday I finally coughed up the dough and had a full service detail done to my car - claybar, wash, wax, sealant, full interior detail, the works. Anyhow later on that day my girlfriend and I were going out on the the town, and planned to hit up the quarterly BMW meet in Houston. On our way, some a-hole on the freeway in a Jeep Wrangler decides he wants to turn into my lane, and side swipes my car leaving a huge tire/rim mark on my door, rear quarterpanel and sideskirt. I tried to flag him down but the guy wouldn't stop. I even pulled up next to him, honked my horn and tried to get him to pull over and he just flicked a cigarette at me.

Then the chase began. I started following him and got 911 on the phone. I told them what happened and they connected me to the sergeant and they wanted me to stay behind him. The guy figured out I was following him and tried to evade me LOL. He was driving like a d-bag, cutting across lanes, running all over town over several different highways. Several times I thought the guy was going to wipe out and either hurt himself or someone else. I chased the guy for 30 minutes with the police close behind me. At one point, he smashed into a light pole, backed up, and kept going. Finally, he tried to sneak away and park in a grocery store parking lot, but I saw him go in there. Then he burns out of the parking lot and goes the WRONG WAY down a 1 way street. By this time there were 4 cop cars behind me and I pointed out where he went. Finally I could slow my role, I drove a few blocks and they had him cornered.

In hindsight, I still can't figure out why the guy was such a jackass and started running. If he had just stopped we would've just exchanged info and the police wouldn't have even had to get involved. I filed a claim with his insurance today, and the adjuster was even shocked to hear the story. I do wish I could have recorded some of the chase though - not every day you see a bright red M3 flying down a street c with 4 cop cars on his tail chasing down a douchebag in a jeep.
Haha; nice job. Usually 911 tells you to stop following.

He probably had no insurance and/or a warrant.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #64
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman
Sheesh...amazing how some people on forums assume the worst in others and automatically assume they are lying.

The OP has nothing to gain from this story.

This story is certainly plausible.

While police would certainly not want a person to chase somebody down, if you all recall, the OP didn't indicate that it was a high speed or aggresive chase to the police and the cops/dispatcher likely assumed he was just following him presumably in a safe capacity.

Cops make mistakes too, which could be another factor in why they allowed the OP to follow the other driver.
Thank you sir. Frankly i was expecting some trolls but I see no point in typing furiously away to prove im not lying to some guy on the Internet I don't even know.

Funny thing is the guy had insurance - damn good insurance - USAA. And I'm assuming he wasn't drunk and no warrants since they let him go.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #65
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Thank you sir. Frankly i was expecting some trolls but I see no point in typing furiously away to prove im not lying to some guy on the Internet I don't even know.

Funny thing is the guy had insurance - damn good insurance - USAA. And I'm assuming he wasn't drunk and no warrants since they let him go.
Bizarre. People just flip out sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #66
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Had quite an adventure this weekend so please excuse me for ranting. This past Saturday I finally coughed up the dough and had a full service detail done to my car - claybar, wash, wax, sealant, full interior detail, the works. Anyhow later on that day my girlfriend and I were going out on the the town, and planned to hit up the quarterly BMW meet in Houston. On our way, some a-hole on the freeway in a Jeep Wrangler decides he wants to turn into my lane, and side swipes my car leaving a huge tire/rim mark on my door, rear quarterpanel and sideskirt. I tried to flag him down but the guy wouldn't stop. I even pulled up next to him, honked my horn and tried to get him to pull over and he just flicked a cigarette at me.

Then the chase began. I started following him and got 911 on the phone. I told them what happened and they connected me to the sergeant and they wanted me to stay behind him. The guy figured out I was following him and tried to evade me LOL. He was driving like a d-bag, cutting across lanes, running all over town over several different highways. Several times I thought the guy was going to wipe out and either hurt himself or someone else. I chased the guy for 30 minutes with the police close behind me. At one point, he smashed into a light pole, backed up, and kept going. Finally, he tried to sneak away and park in a grocery store parking lot, but I saw him go in there. Then he burns out of the parking lot and goes the WRONG WAY down a 1 way street. By this time there were 4 cop cars behind me and I pointed out where he went. Finally I could slow my role, I drove a few blocks and they had him cornered.

In hindsight, I still can't figure out why the guy was such a jackass and started running. If he had just stopped we would've just exchanged info and the police wouldn't have even had to get involved. I filed a claim with his insurance today, and the adjuster was even shocked to hear the story. I do wish I could have recorded some of the chase though - not every day you see a bright red M3 flying down a street c with 4 cop cars on his tail chasing down a douchebag in a jeep.

Where you on the 59/288 southbound ramp from IH-45? Saturday at about 7:45 pm, an M3 and a jeep, and a white car, went screaming around me. It was either a race or a chase or some other silliness.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread