BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #23
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Can we debate this? What is the impact of putting 1 or 2 sizes too small a tire on a larger rim?

1) What does this do to the ride?
2) What does this do to the handling? Is it going to scrub off the sides?

I also heard in another thread that it makes the middle bulge up a bit and RAISE the cars height. I think the best thing I can do when I get my ZCP, black on black 2011 M3 (ordered yesterday) is to drive the crap out of it, burn off all the rubber and put the proper size tires on those rims... 265 and 285s BMW needs to be shot over putting this size rubber on those rims - it is supposed to be a competition pack for God sake....

Any comments?
Well, PS2s are known to be cut big, and many will argue that a 265 stretched (as long as not overstretched) would be better than a 285 that is not. But again, have to compare apples to apples, so what is the right tire size for one tire manufacturer may be the wrong one for another.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #24
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Can we debate this? What is the impact of putting 1 or 2 sizes too small a tire on a larger rim?

1) What does this do to the ride?
2) What does this do to the handling? Is it going to scrub off the sides?

I also heard in another thread that it makes the middle bulge up a bit and RAISE the cars height. I think the best thing I can do when I get my ZCP, black on black 2011 M3 (ordered yesterday) is to drive the crap out of it, burn off all the rubber and put the proper size tires on those rims... 265 and 285s BMW needs to be shot over putting this size rubber on those rims - it is supposed to be a competition pack for God sake....

Any comments?
It is better to "undertire" than to "overtire". One main reason is because with a wider tire, your tire edge is more likely to get $&@*ed with hard cornering...This is especially true with street tires which have a more angular transition from rolling surface to sidewall.

And just FYI, if they offered the comp package w/out those rims, I would have gotten it! But I don't want to waste 4500$ for rims and an upgraded EDC...I'll probably end up adding coilovers and springs at some point in the future anyways...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Well, PS2s are known to be cut big, and many will argue that a 265 stretched (as long as not overstretched) would be better than a 285 that is not. But again, have to compare apples to apples, so what is the right tire size for one tire manufacturer may be the wrong one for another.

Cheers,
e46e92
Good point.

I would try to use whatever brand the GTS uses. I'm not sure you can even get the exact same tire or not. But whatever the "non-BMW-special" version of the tire that is on the GTS is called is probably readily available, and would be a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Good point.

I would try to use whatever brand the GTS uses. I'm not sure you can even get the exact same tire or not. But whatever the "non-BMW-special" version of the tire that is on the GTS is called is probably readily available, and would be a good place to start.
Your right, I forgot, the wheels on Comp Pckg are basically the same wheels as the GTS, right?

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
And just FYI, if they offered the comp package w/out those rims, I would have gotten it! But I don't want to waste 4500$ for rims and an upgraded EDC...I'll probably end up adding coilovers and springs at some point in the future anyways...
WOW, I don't know how many US Dollars are $4,500 CDN Dollars, but in the US we only have to "waste" $2,500 for the ZCP package, which includes the rims and upgraded EDC like you mentioned, plus the 10mm lowering springs.

I don't see this package as a waste.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Your right, I forgot, the wheels on Comp Pckg are basically the same wheels as the GTS, right?

Cheers,
e46e92
As far as we know, I think, it is the exact same wheel, just without the black powdercoat. Although, its possible the GTS actually has a more expensive wheel (forged, for example), I suppose. In any case though, they are the same style, same width, and same diameter.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #29
datalink7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
WOW, I don't know how many US Dollars are $4,500 CDN Dollars, but in the US we only have to "waste" $2,500 for the ZCP package, which includes the rims and upgraded EDC like you mentioned, plus the 10mm lowering springs.

Plus if you are getting the technology package anyway, you save $750 on it. So essentially you are only paying $1,750 for the competition package if you are getting the technology package. Not a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by datalink7 View Post
Plus if you are getting the technology package anyway, you save $750 on it. So essentially you are only paying $1,750 for the competition package if you are getting the technology package. Not a bad deal.
If you don't mind getting the heavier and weaker cast wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #31
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

The competition wheel is helluva lot nicer than the standard 19" optioned OEM wheel. So weak or not its an upgrade in my book.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #32
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E394KEN View Post
The competition wheel is helluva lot nicer than the standard 19" optioned OEM wheel. So weak or not its an upgrade in my book.
and they are 1/2" wider than stock AND provide a more aggressive offset so the front track is wider (not sure about the back)

This will allow 2 sizes bigger of tires on the rims when these wear out.

I am checking with the dealer - I don't think BMW will change the tires for bigger ones at build, but I am asking my dealer if he will and I may pay some extra. I'll keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #33
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post

At the moment, it's basically 4500US as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by datalink7 View Post
Wow that's so cheap compared to us!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
I am trying a few angles on the 245/265 tires on my competition rims when I get the car. I don't believe BMW will put different tires on in the build, so I am going to see if the dealer will.

1) I have my sales guy trying to find out if I can get larger tires from the dealer, and give him my stock tires at the car's delivery because they will be new - if I don't drive it. I really want at least a 255 on the front, and a 285 on the back like the GTS. Even 1 size up, 255/275 would be fine.... Notice on the GTS pics how the tires fill the wheel wells....and ours don't.

What my sales guy said was that BMW has basically the 245 and 265 sizes only. They don't carry other sizes so BMW probably won't do this, the dealership might. I would pay a small premium to swap sizes - if it was an option.

Question: Can we put 265 tires on the front 9" rims? (and leave the 265 on the back).

That would be a square setup - but on diff width rims - that might not be good....

I think they would swap the 245 with the 265 because it is in stock for them. So I would only then have to swap the rears and maybe sell the 265 (or keep it for when the front wear out).

What do you think it would do?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #35
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
OK:

1- GTS can deal with +30 offset because it has more power. I think if you mess up the +20 offset in the stock car, you will have more understeer
2- 255/275 fits those rims perfectly
3- yes you can put 265 on 9s. It will not look weird, but it will screw up your balance. If you have 265 fronts with the same sidewall as the back it will be a slightly taller tire than the 245s that would be there already. The car would basically be raised a little in the front
4- if you put 265s in the front and rear, you will have more oversteer - something I do not suggest on the street
5- the wheel wells on the GTS look more full because the suspension is lower

I HOPE this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #36
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

I talked with my head mechanic at the dealership and posed the the question about downloading the ZCP software of the DSC and the EDC to a non-ZCP car. He said the machine will look at the VIN and determine that you are trying to install the wrong software.

He says he'll be happy to try it out on my car though. They still don't have the latest software for the ZCP. I figure it's worth a try someday.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #37
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

I would hope at least the EDC software is tuned for the new lower/stiffer springs so I would want to upgrade to them at the same time.
Appreciate 0