BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #89
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Why is it that the people who resort to childish insults in their posts always like to indulge in the irony of at once insulting other people's intelligence and riddling their posts with grammatical errors?

I like the way you laugh at your own "jokes", by the way
I'm right behind you. But don't expect him to understand irony.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #90
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBITION View Post
Choose to do what you want. I have not "spammed" ANYONE! I posted a thread, YOU CHOOSE to read it and reply to it. Your choice.....
Setting aside the ethics discussion (I don't see how that can be resolved on an online forum, and it seems like many people, including myself, have expressed their sentiments on that one), I find myself wondering about what constitutes "spam" on this board. I looked at the FAQs and could not find a definition for it. I don't know if there is a designated "For Sale" area (I can't find that either). My experience with boards like this one tells me one cannot use public forums to market goods/services, which seems to be the motivation for the original post...Can someone shed light on forum usage rules?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #91
MBITION
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Why is it that the people who resort to childish insults in their posts always like to indulge in the irony of at once insulting other people's intelligence and riddling their posts with grammatical errors?

I like the way you laugh at your own "jokes", by the way
So you calling me a "carpet bagger" wasn't "childish name calling"? That's odd, because it sure sounds like that to me. I refer to the case of "Pott v. Kettle"
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:25 AM   #92
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So you calling me a "carpet bagger" wasn't "childish name calling"? That's odd, because it sure sounds like that to me. I refer to the case of "Pott v. Kettle"
Calling you a "carpet bagger" is not childish name calling because what you are doing is exactly that. To define carpet bagging:

"Carpet-bagging refers to outsiders moving in to an area to take advantage of a situation which they believe will yield them gain of some nature. It stems from the time after the American Civil War when people migrated to the southern states to appropriate land or property which had been occupied by the Unionist forces, and was up for grabs. The luggage carried by these people was often made of carpet remnants stitched together, being a cheap strong material, hence carpet-bagging, or carpet-baggers. "

So come on then, how is that childish name calling?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #93
MBITION
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Calling you a "carpet bagger" is not childish name calling because what you are doing is exactly that. To define carpet bagging:

"Carpet-bagging refers to outsiders moving in to an area to take advantage of a situation which they believe will yield them gain of some nature. It stems from the time after the American Civil War when people migrated to the southern states to appropriate land or property which had been occupied by the Unionist forces, and was up for grabs. The luggage carried by these people was often made of carpet remnants stitched together, being a cheap strong material, hence carpet-bagging, or carpet-baggers. "

So come on then, how is that childish name calling?

Well the first issue with that definition is that I'm not an outsider, I've been a BMW enthusuast since 1984 when my dad brought home his first BMW an 84 533i. I would have been an enthusiast longer, but I was only 5.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #94
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well the first issue with that definition is that I'm not an outsider, I've been a BMW enthusuast since 1984 when my dad brought home his first BMW an 84 533i. I would have been an enthusiast longer, but I was only 5.
I can't believe you think that because you've been an enthusiast for a long time, it means you're not an outsider. You ARE an outsider because you now have no intention of buying the M3, therefore you are OUTSIDE of the proper vending process, i.e. that relationship between the dealer and the buyer who you are trying to sell your car on to. You are using a short of supply situation to make a profit off somebody else.

I'm afraid you are missing the point somewhat. OK, so you question the 'outsider' part. That's a fairly insignificant part. What about the "taking advantage of a situation which they believe will yield them gain of some nature"?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #95
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

MBITION:

How 'bout just buy the car? Then put it on Ebay with an openning bid right @ MSRP. You will surely get more for it than that, hence effectively selling your spot as you intend to do. In fact you'll probably make a hell of a lot more that way, and you probably won't ever even have to make a payment on the car. It will tie up your credit for a bit I suppose, yes.

Or even better:

Isn't it the case that you now feel as though you CAN afford this car? Yes that's it! Everyone can discontinue this heated discussion since MBITION has now decided to keep his spot and buy the car. No harm, no foul. Right guys? MBITION is going to make an honest attempt and keep his "promise" to the dealership that he'll purchase and take delivery of one 2008 M3. What happens after that, of course, we cannot say. If he registers a new ID on Ebay and hawks the car right away, well, that would be dirty, awful, rotten, and deceitful! But we'll never know about it, so we can't call him out. Damn, and now what the hell are we going to do with all the soap-boxes lying around here.

Good luck, man!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #96
suburbanjim66
Rep
Drives: SUV

Quote:
............You are using a short of supply situation to make a profit off somebody else.
Just like all the people who were selling the $300 "Tickle Me Elmo" dolls on Ebay a couple years ago. Ohhhhh the humanity. Somebody trying to make a buck on a supply shortage - who would have thought????

If I can flip my M for a small profit a week after I buy it, am I taking advantage of a supply shortage? Sure. It's a slippery slope.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #97
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

the whole problem would be solved if dealers simply made the spots non transferrable, which they could easily do at any time if they don't already

a "spot" doesn't really guarantee anything at all
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #98
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Let me suggest that anyone who disagrees with selling a spot just stop replying to this thread so that it dies a merciful death. Jousting with Mbition about whether what he is doing is right or not just keeps this post at the top of the board. That is why he (and other recently added members who support him) replies to almost every post, probably including this one.

This is my last post in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #99
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I already offfered $40 but didn't hear back

I'll raise my offer to $75
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #100
MBITION
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I already offfered $40 but didn't hear back

I'll raise my offer to $75
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #101
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Wow........I love cars, love them, but that is crazy that people would pay to get into line to buy one. Crazy waste of money if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #102
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwithholes View Post
but that's what you think
maybe he feels he is doing someone a favor...

negative name calling is childish no matter what.....
He would be doing someone a favour if he just let the next person in the queue take his slot. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #103
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Again that's your opinion
he is letting someone on ebay who wants M3 the most get the car.

He is doing the guy on ebay a favor...
Oh yeah, very noble of him. If he's so keen on doing somebody a favour then why not give the profit he makes (if there is any), to charity?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #104
JaYsCaR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanjim66 View Post
Why?
Because if that was the case I would buy up 3 spots at every local dealership and take advantage of everybody that really want the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #105
bmwfanatik
Registered
Rep
Drives: fast

I've got one too

I put down $500 almost 8 months ago for 2008 M3. Assured it was #2 spot and will be in first allocation. After all the waiting, Im tired and I think Im just guna go get an M6, especially since it isnt coming with SMG.

Soooo, what to do with the M3 spot? I never spoke to the dealer about transferrability. How are they able to prevent me from selling the spot? I could easily order per specifications of my buyer and when the car comes in, I just say "hey, by the way, the car is being put in this name, not mine". If I buy the car and then resell it, there wont be much profit left after I pay sales tax.

On the morality of selling spots......Ive owned many BMW's, most of the time Ive paid MSRP. Now its MY turn to profit! Particularly because I will only procede to support the brand more with an even BIGGER purchase. Plus, capitalism is what got me to the station in life where I CAN afford virtually any car I want - nuttin wrong with being a bit of an opportunist. People do it all the time, in every industry (as per examples of the Elmos or playstations).

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:14 AM   #106
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
why...
are you saying there's no degrees of favor?
are you saying giving someone a chance is not a favor?

Just do it your way....who are you to judge whatever he does?
If he's going to try and make a quick buck by selling his slot for an M3 then he has to expect some people to comment negatively on it. Tell me this, if there's nothing wrong with him selling his slot, why are BMW trying to clamp on this exact practice?

You are living in the world for the terminally bewildered if you think scalping someone is "doing them a favour"
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:22 AM   #107
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
If he's going to try and make a quick buck by selling his slot for an M3 then he has to expect some people to comment negatively on it. Tell me this, if there's nothing wrong with him selling his slot, why are BMW trying to clamp on this exact practice?

You are living in the world for the terminally bewildered if you think scalping someone is "doing them a favour"

In that sense BMW dealers are scalping us as well. Why doesn't BMW clamp down on markup? Just because someone is clamping down on an action it does not make that action morally wrong. In this case that action isn't even legally wrong. It's a free market. If someone is willing to pay for that spot then it's his choice. Besides, it doesn't seem like he's trying to make a quick buck. That's my opinion as you are entitled to yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:17 AM   #108
MBITION
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
In that sense BMW dealers are scalping us as well. Why doesn't BMW clamp down on markup? Just because someone is clamping down on an action it does not make that action morally wrong. In this case that action isn't even legally wrong. It's a free market. If someone is willing to pay for that spot then it's his choice. Besides, it doesn't seem like he's trying to make a quick buck. That's my opinion as you are entitled to yours.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 05:39 AM   #109
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
In that sense BMW dealers are scalping us as well. Why doesn't BMW clamp down on markup?
BMW dealers mark up in the U.S., but not in many other parts of the world, including Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #110
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If BMW is stopping it.....why can he sell it on ebay, a very popular market place.

by expecting some people to comment negatively....you mean the like of you. It doesn't mean your comment is correct.
But commenting someone by calling them name is childish as what everyone should agree....

It all comes down to would you rather pay extra to have something you really want or not have anything at all...
Tell me this tho....How is auction an item with starting price @ cost same as scalping??
Lots of things get sold on Ebay which morally shouldn't.

Tell me where I have called him a childish name.

This is a forum and we are having a debate. When have I said anybody is not allowed to give their opinion?
Appreciate 0