BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #111
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I bought my M3 last year at 27, and was in similar circumstances as you when I graduated college at 22, though my financed car at the time was an '04 S2000. It's a good thing I wasn't itching to upgrade at that time!

I definitely see the point of "you only live once", but saving up some cash can only help, and serves as good protection for when unforeseeable things happen. You don't want to face a layoff 1-2 years down the road with an M3 and no savings, for example.

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #112
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Buy a Mini Cooper S (JCW) late model, like a 2010 or 2009... save up your money until you can put a significant down payment on a car as expensive as an M.

If you purchase a car like an M at such a young age, it is very possible that you will never make the right decisions to accumulate assets which appreciate and build up a savings for emergencies.

Take it from a 47 year old.
      11-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #113
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

OP - smart play.

I know its tempting - and it will probably work out for you if you do it now. But you've worked hard to get where you're at - don't take a small chance of financial failure to satisfy a want - you have a fine ride today - get an M3 later.

Earlier posters shared insightful advice:

1. Never have negative equity in a depreciable asset unless you have liquidity to bridge the gap - right now you could sell your car and get cash back. An M3 with a small down payment might not allow you that flexibility. Don't expect a disaster, but have a contingency plan if one happens. Right now you could move in with the folks (they sound supportive) and figure out your next game plan.

2. You have high opportunity cost associated with other good investments - 401k max, save for a house (huge tax shield at your income level), grad school opportunity, travel, etc.

3. Get established - build your net worth, your resume, and your experience. You make great cash first year out of school so keep the momentum up and buy when you won't strain yourself.

I'd add...

4. Debt capacity is a valuable intangible asset. You have it now - which allows you to be flexible in career decisions. If you need your job to meet your bills, you inherently lose flexibility.

Again, good decision. Good luck - I'm excited for you to join the M crew in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #114
Kaylin032
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and 335d

Garage List
Better save it

I agree with auggiem3

You don't want to be the paycheck-to-paycheck guy with an awesome car and a small crap apartment.

If your apartment is $900/mo, it's crap. Sorry. And it's an apartment.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Strategically plan your career and be able to do more than barely afford a nice car.

K
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #115
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
There's a lot of people that live at home with the parents at 22 and they have no problems working and paying for a $70K car... of course that is different for everyone. Given today's economy, it isn't very uncommon for college grads to move back home after school.

Of course the OP's situation is not that and can't justify the cost of such an expensive car. When I made $70K, my limit was $40K on a car. I had a Evo then and even today feels faster than the M3.
Ha! when i made 70k, I had an Evo too, but I paid $24k for my Evo not $40. Personally, I feel the smartest way to buy a car is a pre-owned one, let someone else eat the fastest depreciation rate, I got my 08 E90 for $46k cash in summer 2010, the sticker was $67k on it. (8k miles, no issues/stories)

Yeah, great buy for me. OP, I'm serious, doesn't matter if you buy a Ferrari, get a used car, you can save a small fortune over your lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #116
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
What??? Do you have any idea what the typical starting salary for a college grad right out of school is? That is if you can find a job of course. I can promise its nowhere near $70k. The only people I knew making that much right out of school were lawyers and thats to be expected after spending 7 years in school.
the top law graduates are easily in 120k territory first year....but then again, that's why it's so hard to get in to the top law school.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #117
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
OP - smart play.

I know its tempting - and it will probably work out for you if you do it now. But you've worked hard to get where you're at - don't take a small chance of financial failure to satisfy a want - you have a fine ride today - get an M3 later.

Earlier posters shared insightful advice:

1. Never have negative equity in a depreciable asset unless you have liquidity to bridge the gap - right now you could sell your car and get cash back. An M3 with a small down payment might not allow you that flexibility. Don't expect a disaster, but have a contingency plan if one happens. Right now you could move in with the folks (they sound supportive) and figure out your next game plan.

2. You have high opportunity cost associated with other good investments - 401k max, save for a house (huge tax shield at your income level), grad school opportunity, travel, etc.

3. Get established - build your net worth, your resume, and your experience. You make great cash first year out of school so keep the momentum up and buy when you won't strain yourself.

I'd add...

4. Debt capacity is a valuable intangible asset. You have it now - which allows you to be flexible in career decisions. If you need your job to meet your bills, you inherently lose flexibility.

Again, good decision. Good luck - I'm excited for you to join the M crew in a few years.
Wow, should end thread here. Great post. Agree 100%.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #118
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Build Assets/Wealth in your 20's and 30's, not debt.
Also agree-Max out your 401k(16,500/yr) or atleast contribute your company match and open/start maxing out a ROTH IRA each year.
Emergency fund-good idea to have 6 months of bills in a liquid account.
For me, a 30-40k car loan is still a large debt, my girlfriend and myself are lucky and top 3% earners, we don't choose to have any car debt since focusing on building wealth is what we want during our 30's.

Goodluck

Pretend you have the M3 car payment and auto withdraw the money from checking each month into your trading account. You'll be so much better off than the rest of the recent graduates who are living paycheck to paycheck and don't have any downpayment for a house.
      11-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #119
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 328i M Sport White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Frg View Post
I fill up once a month, for around $60
Once a month!!!!

Do you even drive? lol

I fill up like once a week.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #120
taleof2bricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Frg View Post
....If my career plans pan out, I'll be making around $120K at my next job level.

As for now, I've only been working for 3 months and...I landed this job through sheer effort and networking without anyone nepotism or strings being pulled.
There was another thread on here asking: "too flashy for the workplace?"

I don't work in "corporate America", but from the comments posted, you might be asking for trouble if you show up to work in an M3. Unless daddy owns the business (you mentioned nepotism for a reason ), your boss might not like the idea of some 'kid' under him, parking an M3 next to his Altima. That "next job level" may not come so easily, and all that "networking" could go down the drain!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #121
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
To OP, yeah don't be like this guy ^^^. He's got a small dick therefore needs to be a douche in order to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #122
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
What? Maybe for somebody with an arts/medival art/performing art/lesbian horticulture degree. Starting salaries for technical majors are at least 60K, and that's at a state school.
Those days are long gone. Technical jobs are notorious for posting jobs to college graduates with a laundry list of stuff that's impossible to meet if you don't already have significant working experience. Most tech companies have little interest in people with no experience - after all, why hire a new grad for $60k when I can get someone with 10 years of experience for the same price in this market?

I'm not saying those jobs don't exist, but they're a lot harder to get than people seem to think.

Quote:
Business and finance are higher, sometimes much higher, especially for finance out of a top school.
Most of the business majors I knew in college didn't fair well and ended up being things like the manager of a department store... times are much worse now. Of the 3 recently business school grads that I know two are unemployed and one is making $13 / hour (this second job was better than her first one right out of school).

Quote:
In the last year I've been to a few recruiting events (on the hiring side at less than top schools) for jobs offering 75K starting salaries, and we had to cancel some events due to lack of interest/insufficient signups.
IMHO people tend to have an overblown sense of entitlement these days. I'm still surprised, however, by the lack of interest. What's the catch?

Quote:
I've seen this numerous times first hand but people are getting into fist fights at Kohls hiring events while I have reqs open for six months at $250/hr.
What qualifications? Catches? We have positions at my company that pay that to contractors - I can guarantee you that no recent college grad will get anywhere near meeting those qualifications. For that pay, you have to be a subject matter expert.

Quote:
There are so many segments of industry where companies are desperate to find good people. Whenever I ask people why they don't move into these fields they say "oh, I don't know how to do that." I guess people in high paying fields came out of the womb with their skillsets .
Is the company willing to train? Most often they expect the applicant to have some kind of knowledge in the field... hence "oh, I don't know how to do that."

This is an employers market right now. Competition is so fierce that employers are more than happy to pull the "you're lucky to have a job" phrase right now. They wouldn't be saying that if the market was booming and they had significant fear of people jumping ship.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #123
galvatron261
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage

I got mine at 26 years old. Have plenty in the bank and even use some of the excess cash to trade.

I got mine used. Two years old from when I got it. Fully loaded, 12K miles. $50K. I pay $600 a month for it.

Sticker was $73K, so I think I did pretty well. Cars with not as many options are still going for high $40s in my area.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #124
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
I bought my M3 last year at 27, and was in similar circumstances as you when I graduated college at 22, though my financed car at the time was an '04 S2000. It's a good thing I wasn't itching to upgrade at that time!

I definitely see the point of "you only live once", but saving up some cash can only help, and serves as good protection for when unforeseeable things happen. You don't want to face a layoff 1-2 years down the road with an M3 and no savings, for example.
+1, plus the F series M is coming out...maybe by then you can get a used one for the same price...dont rush it
      11-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #125
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

$70K is plenty of cash for a fresh-faced 22 y/o straight out of college with zero kids and minimal financial obligations. Live it up. Pay some. Save some. Spend some.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #126
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Reading this thread has really made me wish there was an investment/money off-topic board to ask more detailed questions about that stuff. Being 24 and in the same boat as the OP, other than the obvious 401K stuff, I have no idea where to begin to invest. I'm an engineer so have zero class/school knowledge about business and only the basic supply/demand econ.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #127
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Ha! when i made 70k, I had an Evo too, but I paid $24k for my Evo not $40. Personally, I feel the smartest way to buy a car is a pre-owned one, let someone else eat the fastest depreciation rate, I got my 08 E90 for $46k cash in summer 2010, the sticker was $67k on it. (8k miles, no issues/stories)
You got some great buys... my Evos were always new - I've seen a lot of horror stories with people buying used and modded Evos. The last one I had was a 2008 model that was a loaded GSR for $40K OTD. The twin clutch Evo MRs are going upwards to $50K.

Even my 08 E90 M3 was $47K before tax 4 months ago which was a "deal" and a couple thousand lower than Blue Book value at the time. Damn used car market is jacked up if used car values are appreciating!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #128
Blu_Frg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowest_Frequency View Post
Reading this thread has really made me wish there was an investment/money off-topic board to ask more detailed questions about that stuff. Being 24 and in the same boat as the OP, other than the obvious 401K stuff, I have no idea where to begin to invest. I'm an engineer so have zero class/school knowledge about business and only the basic supply/demand econ.
Investing really isn't all that hard. I dabble with the stock market because everything is so cheap right now. But, at the same time, the market is VERY volatile and reacts sensitively to every piece of macroeconomic news. There's a lot of money to be made and lost in short time frames in this market.

I suggest you read up on investing at investopedia.com and open a brokerage account. seekingalpha.com is interesting to read for viewpoints on specific companies and world economic trends.

And to the people who think I live in a shithole in Boston, I don't! I live in a suburb of Boston with two roommates and we live in a two story house that's split into two 'apartments.' It's definitely not a shithole and it's definitely not a ballerpad -- it's just a cozy house that gets the job done.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #129
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
$70K is plenty of cash for a fresh-faced 22 y/o straight out of college with zero kids and minimal financial obligations. Live it up. Pay some. Save some. Spend some.

^this
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #130
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Op is one smart cookie
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #131
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
What? Maybe for somebody with an arts/medival art/performing art/lesbian horticulture degree. Starting salaries for technical majors are at least 60K, and that's at a state school. Business and finance are higher, sometimes much higher, especially for finance out of a top school. In the last year I've been to a few recruiting events (on the hiring side at less than top schools) for jobs offering 75K starting salaries, and we had to cancel some events due to lack of interest/insufficient signups. I've seen this numerous times first hand but people are getting into fist fights at Kohls hiring events while I have reqs open for six months at $250/hr. There are so many segments of industry where companies are desperate to find good people. Whenever I ask people why they don't move into these fields they say "oh, I don't know how to do that." I guess people in high paying fields came out of the womb with their skillsets .

This is a forum for a completely voluntary purchase of a rapidly depreciating asset which costs at least 50K, fulfills the same transportation purpose as a 7K Kia, and consumes 40% more fuel while necessitating premium gas and new $350/ea rear tires every 10-12K miles. Generally not a wise buy for those making $35k/yr. Know your demographic.

You must be BALLIN! Hoes in different area codes ballin!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #132
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
If you were able to find this forum you should be able to find an equivalent forum for investing. I suggest doing something crazy like going to Google and entering "investment forum."

Yes, I have already posted in the 'profile of M3 drivers' thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=252
Can you please feed me? You must be swimming in pools of money.
Appreciate 0