BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

07-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #23
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
+1, its $50, well worth the cost.
I'm looking into it more. It definitely looks very interesting. I need to find out if I can use my existing cable with the phone and a USB to micro USB adapter... If so I'll probably give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
My rear bulbs act up from time to time, mostly in wet and cold environments. Then it goes away. I've seen others here with the same issue. Maintain it until something has to be replaced and replace it.
Yeah, but this one has been pretty constant. It's not been too wet or cold so don't think thats it. No signs of moisture, etc... in the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Early 08s had a TSB specifically to the taillight carriers being defective, particularly on the left side. Are the pieces you are ordering OEM or 3rd party? Are the bulbs being used any higher wattage or coated (retains heat)?

Would recommend into correcting the issue rather than going around it and coding it out.
Yeah I know that they did. I don't see any TSB's for my particular car but I might swing by the dealership just for fun to see if they will do anything.

The piece that I ordered is most definitely OEM. It came with all of the bulbs that it needs also. Same wattage, no coating.

I'm most definitely not "coding it out". As I stated earlier, it's my understanding that after a bulb is out, or has a short detected for X amount of starts, the computer (footwell module, or FRM) will remove voltage from that lead. The only way to re-enable it is to reset the short circuit counter in the FRM module which should re-enable power to that lead. It would leave the existing short circuit tests, etc... in place.

I'm really hoping to find someone that has experience or knows for certain if my findings that I mentioned immediately above are accurate or not and the best/easiest way to remedy if they are...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #24
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I found a couple of other threads talking about the same thing. One of which they successfully reset the counter after fixing a short in their wires and everything goes back to normal.

This one uses the FRM module and Tool32...
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...9866&p=1287314

This one is in German but after translating, it looks like they used the LM (or LM2) module to unlock the short circuit flag... It is an E61 however which is not what I'm working with but good for an example.
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/micro...47.html?page=2
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #25
flip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, so I've confirmed that FRM70 is for FRM2 which is what my E90 has.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #26
VitSports6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3, DCT

I realize this thread is older than dirt, but I'm curious if you ever figured out the issue or just replaced the tail light socket?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #27
///Motown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I realize this thread is older than dirt, but I'm curious if you ever figured out the issue or just replaced the tail light socket?
+1
I've changed my left bulb twice now in the past 4 months and still have intermittent failures
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
VitSports6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I thought I would add to this thread, I had the same issues, "Left Tail Light Malfunction" yet all the bulbs worked, A friend helped me clear the counter in the FRM70 like mentioned above.

Here is a shot of where we found the counter and cleared it, I don't recall everything as I was talking to someone, But I do know you need to got through and select each item, Could be 1 could be 65, Mine was in the 30 range, I hope this helps anyone.

You can see the counter is at 50, We cleared it and the tail lights are working again!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
All you can do is keep everything clean and dry. It'll come and go.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #30
VitSports6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
All you can do is keep everything clean and dry. It'll come and go.
That may be, But mine has been doing this for a month, I live in the desert, Our average humidity is around 50% not to mention the module had hit that magic number on the counter, so it needed to be cleared, It may come back, but hopefully, not very soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #31
stylez1989
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 328I N52

Yep mine is doing the same thing (2008 328I) both of the taillight bars went out (trunk door bars are still working) checked the bulb holders they work on my wife which also has a e90, bulbs are fine, checked wiring looks good, I've also checked the counter using tools32 and they were all 0 for the taillight. Idrive states no bulb errors, INPA states no codes.

I've come down to either the FRM2 has a glitch which I may disconnect my battery for 24 hours and if it isn't that I may just replace the whole frm modular.

Unless someone has something I'm missing.

This problem started a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:33 AM   #32
charliezepp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Hi all
thanks for all the useful information in this thread, had the exact same problem and now got it fixed

Indeed it was a problem of short circuit counter on one of the left rear lamps leading to the computer stopping to send any current there, instead lights up the brake light (exactly like the picture in the beginning of this thread)

In order to fix it, need to download software (tool32 and inpa), and need for cable

I followed the instructions in this video which I found very useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufil...&v=pvNRRiD4utc

It also has links to download the required software

His particular light bulb was another than the one I had problems with. But its fairly easy to scroll down the list of different lamps and test them one after another to see which has the counter issue. At least I knew mine was "links" (left..) which helps to eliminate the "rechts"

anyway, this post was very useful and the video I linked as well. Problem fixed

I can add that the reason why I ended up with this problem in the first place was a burnt out light bulb and light bulb holder so that obviously needed replacement before the coding can be done.
I don't know if this problem can happen only because of a burnt out light bulb that is not replaced in time, but I would hope not.. (?)

cheers
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Also make sure to put dielectric grease on all connections, places where moisture can creep in to evolve corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #34
whack6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 AW/FR

subbing here, I'm having a similar issue and could use anyone's input at all. car is an 08 e90 m3. Persistent cc-id 373 brake force display recht error. Both bulb carriers and bulbs in trunk have been replaced. Checked bulbs in fender assemblies but haven't replaced yet. Still has the bulb error. Used toolset32, none of the counters in the FRM module had any significant values for shorts. Cleared anyway, error still comes right back. Found out battery in the car is from 2013 so may try replacing that next just to rule that out. Disconnecting the negative terminal overnight did not help.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:21 PM   #35
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

What's stopping you on replacing the bulbs?

I fought for such a long time swapping left to right, and other BS. Bought a new bulb and has not shown up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whack6 View Post
subbing here, I'm having a similar issue and could use anyone's input at all. car is an 08 e90 m3. Persistent cc-id 373 brake force display recht error. Both bulb carriers and bulbs in trunk have been replaced. Checked bulbs in fender assemblies but haven't replaced yet. Still has the bulb error. Used toolset32, none of the counters in the FRM module had any significant values for shorts. Cleared anyway, error still comes right back. Found out battery in the car is from 2013 so may try replacing that next just to rule that out. Disconnecting the negative terminal overnight did not help.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #36
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey there, had the same thing happen to me. Pull the trunk liner and check the wires for breaks. I wrapped a couple that looked suspect with electrical tape and problem solved!

Also, I've found it best to use OEM bulbs as aftermarket bulbs run too hot and melt the tail lights on the inside.
Appreciate 0