BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #89
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Don't people understand that the award is to BMW for the engines as put in their cars - not for the engines with aftermarket tunes? The N54 wins again because BMW has added the PPK stage 2 kit (which is not just a tune). For whatever odd reason there is - and it's not by design that a small company like BMW ends up with 2 very similar engines in production - BMW decided to upgrade the N54 and not the N55 so for now the stock N55 is out performed by the upgraded N54.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #90
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Funny, I was thinking likewise, in mirror image I mean. Let's start: 55 is 1 more than 54, it is newer, cleaner, more efficient, has twin scroll technology etc. etc. all these makes no sense to me, doesn't proove a thing and it for sure was not enough for the judges as well.

At the end, if you like the engine in your car good for you, you could do that without spitting on others; it doesn't need to impress anybody else other than yourself. N55 of course is a fine engine and I personally prefer the N54 under actual circumstances, such a big deal! This can change in the future when they start thinking bigger about that N55 and not just the emissions and so and give it a push it needs. Even BMW M division prefered the N54 when they needed to make a choice for the 1M project or for the Z4is or for the pepped up 335 which is 335is, according to you M divison and other engineers and executives in BMW were also people with their heads up their asses I assume. We all are stupid stupid people including this worthless Award judges.

It would be respectful for some guys to just say that congratulations to N54 for yet another win as it is an important milestone engine for BMW, instead of finding bizarre excuses about why they voted for it and not for your own car's engine. I for sure will be happy for N55 owners when it starts to get more serious and gets more acclaim and consequently wipe some awards too.
That wasn't my point at all. I'm not looking down upon the N54 at all, and I'm glad to see BMW bring home yet another win. I think the N54 is a great engine, as is the N55. I, likewise, get annoyed at all the fanaticism, which is why I now ignore it (breaking my own rules here).

EDIT: If you search this thread, the first few remarks about the N55 were:

"Interestingly, the N55 is not figured - though the N54 is. Still think the N54 should make a comeback in the 335 or 340."

"it's interesting that the N54 has been on this list so many times despite all it problems and it being engineering-wise fairly dated compared to the n55."

"With these awards, maybe they should drop the n55 for the good old n54?"

My response was in regards to comments like these. They should drop the N55 in favor of the N54? Really? Does that make any sense to anyone?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #91
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
That wasn't my point at all. I'm not looking down upon the N54 at all, and I'm glad to see BMW bring home yet another win. I think the N54 is a great engine, as is the N55. I, likewise, get annoyed at all the fanaticism, which is why I now ignore it (breaking my own rules here).

EDIT: If you search this thread, the first few remarks about the N55 were:

"Interestingly, the N55 is not figured - though the N54 is. Still think the N54 should make a comeback in the 335 or 340."

"it's interesting that the N54 has been on this list so many times despite all it problems and it being engineering-wise fairly dated compared to the n55."

"With these awards, maybe they should drop the n55 for the good old n54?"

My response was in regards to comments like these. They should drop the N55 in favor of the N54? Really? Does that make any sense to anyone?
OK, fine with all that. I can only add that I am not a fanatic of any engine or brand as well, I will go and buy a N55 if they make a bit better (feeling and performing) N55 than the actual N54T (yes not any N54 but the T, this is the one which grabbed the title again). If it happens, it sure will be a hell of an engine.

The quotes you made really go too far, I agree with that. I am guessing soon N54 will be left behind in all its forms and only after then BMW will make some new experiments on the N55 to make us forget about N54. But, let's say, if the next M3 or some other M car (like a surprise Z4 M or a Z2 M or M2) also gets a upgraded N54 then the fate of N55 will be sealed forever as an "efficiency" version and second best in the line of actual BMW engines. We will wait and see how this will go.

In fact, everyone should be happy that four out of six contenders in the 2.5 to 3.0 liter category were BMW engines, this demonstrates a huge domination of BMW in this category either in petrol or diesel form.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #92
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

Quote:
Funny, I was thinking likewise, in mirror image I mean. Let's start: 55 is 1 more than 54, it is newer, cleaner, more efficient, has twin scroll technology etc. etc. all these makes no sense to me, doesn't proove a thing and it for sure was not enough for the judges as well.

At the end, if you like the engine in your car good for you, you could do that without spitting on others; it doesn't need to impress anybody else other than yourself. N55 of course is a fine engine and I personally prefer the N54 under actual circumstances, such a big deal! This can change in the future when they start thinking bigger about that N55 and not just the emissions and so and give it a push it needs. Even BMW M division prefered the N54 when they needed to make a choice for the 1M project or for the Z4is or for the pepped up 335 which is 335is, according to you M divison and other engineers and executives in BMW were also people with their heads up their asses I assume. We all are stupid stupid people including this worthless Award judges.

It would be respectful for some guys to just say that congratulations to N54 for yet another win as it is an important milestone engine for BMW, instead of finding bizarre excuses about why they voted for it and not for your own car's engine. I for sure will be happy for N55 owners when it starts to get more serious and gets more acclaim and consequently wipe some awards too.
Well first of all im not a fanatic on any engine im just defending the typical war that goes from N54 guys, which in most cases feel threatened by the N55 engine and they start all this no sense war by "degrading" the N55. Maybe havent you think that BMW M chose the N54 just to not threaten to much the current M3?? Why couldn't it by that way? Has en any BMW M engineer tell you personally the N54 is better? I feel free to spoke of both engines as i have been an owner of both (actually of the 3 of them) the original N54, the N55, the N55 with PPK 2 + DCT, and the N54T and i can really tell you the N55 with PPK + DCT is actually faster than the N54T (im not saying any engine es better over the other), also many times M owners feel threaten by other BMW cars or other brand cars and they try to think that because they own an M car there's nothing better out there and this isn't true. I think im trying to tell that actually all this fights are no sense and that for truly speaking of other car people should have driven it for a reasonable time so they can give opinions with real life experience not just some brochures data
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #93
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

Quote:
OK, fine with all that. I can only add that I am not a fanatic of any engine or brand as well, I will go and buy a N55 if they make a bit better (feeling and performing) N55 than the actual N54T (yes not any N54 but the T, this is the one which grabbed the title again). If it happens, it sure will be a hell of an engine.

The quotes you made really go too far, I agree with that. I am guessing soon N54 will be left behind in all its forms and only after then BMW will make some new experiments on the N55 to make us forget about N54. But, let's say, if the next M3 or some other M car (like a surprise Z4 M or a Z2 M or M2) also gets a upgraded N54 then the fate of N55 will be sealed forever as an "efficiency" version and second best in the line of actual BMW engines. We will wait and see how this will go.

In fact, everyone should be happy that four out of six contenders in the 2.5 to 3.0 liter category were BMW engines, this demonstrates a huge domination of BMW in this category either in petrol or diesel form.
Also i forgot to that that is been long rumored (even by scott) that the next M3/M4 will be powered by an evolution of the N55 so at last i think nobody can tell that the engine from the next M3 will be a weak performance engine. And for finishing i will add im an actual M Coupe owner and as a formerly owner of all the N54/N55 engines BMW has got im just defending what people try to trash without even having tried out.
BOTH ENGINES ARE AWESOME ENGINES SO PLEASE ESPECIALLY N54's GUYS STOPS THIS WAR AGAINST N55 ENGINES!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #94
Dinosaurius
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E88 135iS

Amazing!

BMW once again lives up to its middle name.
      06-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #95
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
S65 proves to be the best engine made by BMW in many years, and maybe the best engine they have ever made
hahahahahahahaha.... i almost peed my pants. Are you crazy??? The s65 is an amazing engine but definitively not the best they have made. Froget the engine in the mclaren f1?
      06-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #96
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

My response was in regards to comments like these. They should drop the N55 in favor of the N54? Really? Does that make any sense to anyone?[/QUOTE]

N55<N54. N55 is newer but worse which is why the n54 keeps winning awards and it is used in the specialized applications for BMW such as the IS models and the 1M. So yes, it does make sense for BMW to use it again.