BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

11-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 09, AW E90 M3 6MT

DCT vs. 6MT, needs opinions ASAP!

hey all...

I'm sure this debate has been going on for awhile now, but no time to do a search....

I'm ready to pull the trigger on 1 of 2 M3 Sedans. My big dilemma is whether to get the DCT or 6MT on a remaining 2009, for the deal....

The first E90 is fully loaded with DCT, but NO Tech Package...

The second E90 is fully loaded but 6MT with Tech Package...

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Whats everyone's take? Which one will probably have better resale? Overall better reliability? Advantages/Disadvantages of having Tech package, NOT having Tech package...

Any suggestions and opinions are welcome... I need to make a decision by Monday...

Thanks,

Zeddy

Last edited by Zeddy4Me; 11-21-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
6mt ftw
      11-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

thanks... keep the suggestions coming...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Have you test driven any of those two cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

I only test drove the 6MT... the DCT is located some distance away and will be "trucked" over if I buy....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Most folks will tell you that getting the Tech pkg is a MUST. I myself did not care for it, nor did I like it.

As for the DCT vs. 6MT:

If you want all the performance, yet you still prefer to have the convenience/comfort of driving an auto, then get the DCT.

If you want to be more involved in the driving experience and feel more in control over the vehicle, get the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i nearly bought the dct fully loaded before trying the 6mt, i am really happy i tried the manual before buying, as thats what i ended up with, also with tech pkg. I find the car is much more fun and involving, it just came alive when i was doing the shifting. Though the dct makes the car faster and superior on the track and in traffic, i dont regret my decision one bit.

The teck pkg, which in canada is how you get Mdrive, is a big deal for me; and I wouldnt buy an M3, so that supports my view of 6mt further.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy4Me View Post
I only test drove the 6MT... the DCT is located some distance away and will be "trucked" over if I buy....
IMO, you should test drive a M-DCT M3 extensively before buying one. That is, going thru all possible shifting modes both manual and automatic, in the street and in the highway, to see for yourself if you can live with that transmission everyday as it is not an automatic in the traditional sense... if that's what you are expecting.

Personally, I like both transmissions but it is because I'm always manually select my gears regardless of 6-speed or M-DCT and don't like at all any automatic shifting. So in my case I would have gotten the M-DCT just for the smoother/easier shifts, faster acceleration and extra gear but there was no M-DCT available when I bought my M3

The mere fact that you are asking strangers about what to buy tells me that you need to experience M-DCT by yourself or you could easily end up being disappointed after signing the papers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

OH GOD!
Not again...
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
IMO, you should test drive a M-DCT M3 extensively before buying one. That is, going thru all possible shifting modes both manual and automatic, in the street and in the highway, to see for yourself if you can live with that transmission everyday as it is not an automatic in the traditional sense... if that's what you are expecting.

Personally, I like both transmissions but it is because I'm always manually select my gears regardless of 6-speed or M-DCT and don't like at all any automatic shifting. So in my case I would have gotten the M-DCT just for the smoother/easier shifts, faster acceleration and extra gear but there was no M-DCT available when I bought my M3

The mere fact that you are asking strangers about what to buy tells me that you need to experience M-DCT by yourself or you could easily end up being disappointed after signing the papers.

That's it-nothing more to be said!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Technic...

Thank you for your opinion....

I have indeed test driven the DCT extensively. The only reason I would get the DCT is b/c of the convience/comfort factor.... The 6MT of course would be more involved and having an M Coupe in 6MT... is a bit more fun... Since my wife would potentially drive the car IF I get the DCT it would be an added benefit.

What do you think about the reliabilty factor of the DCT? I know there seems to be the lag issue or possibly resolved now... resale? if I decide to sell in 3-4 years? Do you think it would be lower if the car had NO tech pack?

I really appreciate all the comments/suggestions and opinions...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Technic...

I have indeed test driven the DCT extensively. The only reason I would get the DCT is b/c of the convience/comfort factor.... The 6MT of course would be more involved and having an M Coupe in 6MT... is a bit more fun... Since my wife would potentially drive the car IF I get the DCT it would be an added benefit.

What do you think about the reliabilty factor of the DCT? I know there seems to be the lag issue or possibly resolved now... resale? if I decide to sell in 3-4 years? Do you think it would be lower if the car had NO tech pack?

I'm not sure if the 'lag issue' has been cured yet, but I do know that there have been several updates from BMW to help aid the situation. Also, the DCT has only been on the M3 for a couple of years, so it's not really proven all the way in its reliability.....Although, many M3 owners are extremely happy with it, and that's a very good thing.

Also, not having the Tech pkg will most probably make it slightly harder for you to sell the M3 in future, but if you're keeping your car for at least 4 yrs or longer, I wouldn't worry about it. Your primary reason should be to keep yourself happy, especially if you're looking to keep the car for several years.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I'm not sure if the 'lag issue' has been cured yet, but I do know that there have been several updates from BMW to help aid the situation. Also, the DCT has only been on the M3 for a couple of years, so it's not really proven all the way in its reliability.....Although, many M3 owners are extremely happy with it, and that's a very good thing.

Also, not having the Tech pkg will most probably make it slightly harder for you to sell the M3 in future, but if you're keeping your car for at least 4 yrs or longer, I wouldn't worry about it. Your primary reason should be to keep yourself happy, especially if you're looking to keep the car for several years.

Very true... btw, since you drive an 6MT, did you remove the CDV? how is the car with the Powerchip Tune?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

You can't go wrong with either of them I think. I went with the 6MT after driving them back to back at least 3 times. The 6MT felt more alive, mora agressive. Plus at that time there were so many issues with the DCT (most of them are solved).
But now sometimes I wish I should have gotten the DCT. ( the one you actually don't have is always more atractive)
The 6MT is not a great manual by the way! Notchy, somewhat rubbery too. The porsche and audi manuals are better. (just like their dual clutch system)
But, it holds up on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

6MT.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

6mt /thread
      11-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

are u man enough to grab the stick? of coz 6mt. i see a lot of girl driving M3 in my town which i can hear the exhaust note that they were driving DCT.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very true... btw, since you drive an 6MT, did you remove the CDV? how is the car with the Powerchip Tune?

Thanks...
I didn't remove the CDV. I have no motive to mess with it, since it has never bothered me.

The Powerchip tune is amazing. The gained power and throttle response is AMAZING!

I've gained aproximately 68 whp & 36 wtq with all my current mods. Here's the link to my thread which displays my BEFORE/AFTER dyno charts: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322545
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Technic...

M-DCT should be as reliable as the SMG or the VW DSG in the long run... it is after all a manual transmission with electronic controls.

About resale... resale for me is how fast I can sell my car for the price that I want, not a price-only issue. IMO, the iDrive in an M3 is a big selling point at resale, regardless of what you can read in forums. Remember, the iDrive is only part of the Technology Package not the package by itself. So the real issue here is if you really want EDC and the Comfort Access, in the Technology Package.

M3 equipped with M-DCT and the iDrive obviously are the high-value options in used M3 just because of the $5000 combined cost of those two options. But also they are very attractive selling points at resale, so the faster you can get rid of your M3 when is time to sell it because more potential customers are looking for those options. And the best example of that is yourself, as you are in a dilemma right now about which one to get based on those same options.

As you say, M-DCT will give your wife the benefit of an extremely capable and customizable automatic transmission, while it will give you a much capable manual transmission either if you like to track your car or just shift for yourself like a lazy bum. The iDrive simplifies and add a lot of different features in a single big screen, so much less messing around -thus safer driving- with a low-position radio with a small screen that requires looking at it to select what you want to do. And having iDrive makes the interior of the M3 to look much better than a 328i, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks...
There's no CDV in this M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
M-DCT should be as reliable as the SMG or the VW DSG in the long run... it is after all a manual transmission with electronic controls.

About resale... resale for me is how fast I can sell my car for the price that I want, not a price-only issue. IMO, the iDrive in an M3 is a big selling point at resale, regardless of what you can read in forums. Remember, the iDrive is only part of the Technology Package not the package by itself. So the real issue here is if you really want EDC and the Comfort Access, in the Technology Package.

M3 equipped with M-DCT and the iDrive obviously are the high-value options in used M3 just because of the $5000 combined cost of those two options. But also they are very attractive selling points at resale, so the faster you can get rid of your M3 when is time to sell it because more potential customers are looking for those options. And the best example of that is yourself, as you are in a dilemma right now about which one to get based on those same options.

As you say, M-DCT will give your wife the benefit of an extremely capable and customizable automatic transmission, while it will give you a much capable manual transmission either if you like to track your car or just shift for yourself like a lazy bum. The iDrive simplifies and add a lot of different features in a single big screen, so much less messing around -thus safer driving- with a low-position radio with a small screen that requires looking at it to select what you want to do. And having iDrive makes the interior of the M3 to look much better than a 328i, IMO.

Awesome thank you for the englightment... I'm really leaning towards the 6MT with EVERYTHING!....

No CDV? thats great!!

I just got my wife a new 328 coupe... hahaha, she can drive that around... no messing around with..." Can I drive the M3 today?" lol

Thanks for all your comments... keep em coming
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #22
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I didn't remove the CDV. I have no motive to mess with it, since it has never bothered me.

The Powerchip tune is amazing. The gained power and throttle response is AMAZING!

I've gained aproximately 68 whp & 36 wtq with all my current mods. Here's the link to my thread which displays my BEFORE/AFTER dyno charts: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322545

Thats SUPER!! I'm going to look into the Tune myself... great results?
Appreciate 0