BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Are M3 drivers more likely to get tickets?

It seems to me that M3 drivers (and drivers of high performance European cars in general) are more likely to get a speeding ticket than drivers of good old American muscle cars. Why is this?
      05-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

I have been pulled over for speeding 3 times without an infraction. Always seem to get off with a warning. New generation of police offers are young or mid 30s, therefore seem to appriciate a nice sport cAr. That's my experience atleast.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

because we drive our cars how they were ment to be.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I have definitely noticed CHP (california highway patrol) harassing me more often by riding my ass to scare me.
      05-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cops have quotas. They see a $50K+ car and they think you can pay that off easily so they just give you BS tickets.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive
I have definitely noticed CHP (california highway patrol) harassing me more often by riding my ass to scare me.
Maybe they just want to get. Lise to admire the M3's amazing rear end ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

No race driver wannabes are more likely

Last edited by mdosu; 05-25-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
There are quite a few Police Officers on this forum that also drive an ///M car. One lives down the street from me and I once ask him the very same question ...

His reply was two fold ... 1st ... most of us like fast cars especially the M3 & 2nd ... if you get a ticket you deserve it to be sure.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

i'm actually more concerned with the fact that people with BMW driving without the front license plate. i mean, what's the big deal about not putting it on?? without it, its like drawing attention to the popo yo!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ///M3 RD View Post
There are quite a few Police Officers on this forum that also drive an ///M car. One lives down the street from me and I once ask him the very same question ...

His reply was two fold ... 1st ... most of us like fast cars especially the M3 & 2nd ... if you get a ticket you deserve it to be sure.
The point I am trying to make is that, all other things being equal, a guy who gets pulled over speeding in an M3 is more likely to get a ticket than the a guy in a Shelby Mustang, for example

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-27-2013 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

I find I get a pass in the M3. Almost like LEO knows its a fast car and don't really break balls

Today was at stop light, CHP pulls over next to me, rolls down his window and proceeds to tell me to "rev it", I did of course, he gave me a thumbs up and was on his way
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

The only ticket I've received for speeding in the past couple of years was while driving my Jeep Liberty. From my experience, cops don't single out around here.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
epbb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I noticed an immediate difference in how I was looked at by police officers as soon as I got my M3. Thus, why I did this:

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23
Cops have quotas. They see a $50K+ car and they think you can pay that off easily so they just give you BS tickets.
+1000000

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/20/allegations-of-nypd-quotas-in-stop-and-frisk-trial/
      05-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb
I noticed an immediate difference in how I was looked at by police officers as soon as I got my M3. Thus, why I did this:

That is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The point I am trying to make is that, all other things being equal, a guy who gets pulled over speeding in an M3 is more likely to get a ticket than the a guy in Shelby Mustang, for example
IMHO, an American Muscle Car speaks to their interest in performance cars and their patriotism / made in USA-ness, after all they are cops.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Have not gotten a ticket by the police yet, but i did get one warning about putting a front license plate on my car..which i never will. I got pulled over more with my 335 haha
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
In Extremis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
Exactly my experience. I'm just given no front plate, tints, no inspection, etc., even when I've been caught going verry fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The point I am trying to make is that, all other things being equal, a guy who gets pulled over speeding in an M3 is more likely to get a ticket than the a guy in Shelby Mustang, for example
I've thought about this a lot as well, down to the shelby mustang example. I've often wondered if driving a Euro automatically gives yourself the notorious image of being a preppy or yuppie in the eyes of police. I've come to find out that many local cops drive bmws, appreciate my car and have no qualms about ticketing shelbys or vettes. In fact I see more vettes, shelbys and 5.0s pulled over than any other sports car. They always seem to be the guys wildly revving their engines and laying down rubber in dangerous locations. I think the m3 is a happy medium of a car with class but not still not so expensive that people loathe you. On the other hand, I saw a pack of porsche turbos and 2 ferraris pulled over recently. That trooper looked pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
Have not gotten a ticket by the police yet, but i did get one warning about putting a front license plate on my car..which i never will. I got pulled over more with my 335 haha
In my experience, police ticket the cars which in reality are posing most of a threat. They are most lenient with high performance cars because they understand they are high performance cars. Cops are generally normal guys who get this! Treat them with respect and they'll give it back. I see the pure luxury car, pickup truck and suv get the worst of it - usually when speeding in traffic or poor weather.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #19
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842154

Do this and stop worrying...I got tickets quarterly for driving my good ole american muscle car ....until I got a V1....havent gotten a ticket in 5 years and I drive faster than ever....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #20
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
i'm actually more concerned with the fact that people with BMW driving without the front license plate. i mean, what's the big deal about not putting it on?? without it, its like drawing attention to the popo yo!
A lot of us don't want to damage an aftermarket front bumper that had no holes for a front plate to begin with, thus not running one. There is no big deal. Some of us live in states that don't make it a rule to have a front plate. I haven't run a front plate in over 10 years, no tickets. Most local and state police won't bother you once they run your plate and see your registration/history. If you do something stupid or run a light you are going to get pulled.

OP: honestly it doesn't really matter IMO which car you drive. Every cop I know and work with have always run a plate while pacing and can bring up your car information/history/registration. Then IF you break a rule you get stopped. If you have a clean record and mind the law you will get overlooked. Just don't be blatant and have like 5% tint all around.. lol

I will be honest, and as shitty as this sounds some cops in certain areas target certain people. A Mexican in downtown Portland Oregon with out of state plates is going to get pulled over. Same can be said for an Asian male in San Diego with out of state plates driving a high dollar car. Reason I know is because it happened to me and several friends of mine the past 20 years.

The excuses we got was "you matched a suspect fleeing a scene that was hispanic." lol My friends have heard everything from "what are you doing in this area" to "where did you buy this vehicle".... Times have changed but this has happened in the past.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-26-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
A lot of us don't want to damage an aftermarket front bumper that had no holes for a front plate to begin with, thus not running one. There is no big deal. Some of us live in states that don't make it a rule to have a front plate. I haven't run a front plate in over 10 years, no tickets. Most local and state police won't bother you once they run your plate and see your registration/history. If you do something stupid or run a light you are going to get pulled.

OP: honestly it doesn't really matter IMO which car you drive. Every cop I know and work with have always run a plate while pacing and can bring up your car information/history/registration. Then IF you break a rule you get stopped. If you have a clean record and mind the law you will get overlooked. Just don't be blatant and have like 5% tint all around.. lol

I will be honest, and as shitty as this sounds some cops in certain areas target certain people. A Mexican in downtown Portland Oregon with out of state plates is going to get pulled over. Same can be said for an Asian male in San Diego with out of state plates driving a high dollar car. Reason I know is because it happened to me and several friends of mine the past 20 years.

The excuses we got was "you matched a suspect fleeing a scene that was hispanic." lol My friends have heard everything from "what are you doing in this area" to "where did you buy this vehicle".... Times have changed but this has happened in the past.
Yes, this has happened to me too. I was actually on my way to work one morning. The hospital where I work is adjacent to an area where there is large, low-income hispanic community. Now...I am of Indian ethnicity, but many of our patients have told me that I could easily pass for someone of hispanic origin (I am also reasonably fluent in Spanish FWIW)

I was in my Cayenne at an intersection right in front of the hospital where I practice, when a State trooper pulls me over. I get the "where did you get this vehicle" line as well as a few others. By the end of the conversation, once he realized I was the Medical Staff President of the hospital, he went from a hulking arrogant posture to one of a small apologetic mouse.

Priceless.

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-26-2013 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Got couple time for tinted windows
Appreciate 0