BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What Transmission did you pick and why?
DCT ordered with other options then waited for delivery 83 35.62%
DCT from dealers lot with other options I was looking for 35 15.02%
MT ordered with other options then waited for delivery 73 31.33%
MT from dealers lot with other options I was looking for 42 18.03%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

09-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #45
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue92 View Post
Love for all things mechanical forced me to stick with my MT! I'm not a big fan of drive-by-wire or computer controlled transmissions (at least they still give us one as an option)... I wouldn't mind rolling down my windows or adjusting the seats manually either. Hmmm - can you "pop-start" a DCT?
No Finnegan Pin Crank, no care.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #46
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Ordered a DCT for delivery because it is significantly improved and 70% I use it in manual. My wife knows how to drive manual and DCT but still won't get to drive it and she is okay with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #47
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
No Finnegan Pin Crank, no care.

2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #48
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

6mt. never wanted the dct, even after I test drove it. I knew I would get bored with it. Its not about what the car can do, its about what you can do with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #49
Jarhead
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

[QUOTE=SamS;10456214]I think a lot of women (and men) might be a bit intimidated learning to drive a stick via an M3. What else can they practice on? I'm sure I know 50 people who would let me drive their car, and only one has an MT, that I'm aware of. They are just really rare these days.

Never had the means to have a nice car until now and always wanted a manual transmission sports car. Tried hard to learn how to drive before picking the transmission but you are right it was difficult. Nobody I know had a beater and didn't want to learn on someone else's nice car. Could not find a driving school or rent-a-car place with manual transmission despite looking excessively. I even tried craigslist but it was a no-go. Ended up buying my '08 6MT e92 two months ago despite not knowing how to drive stick (watched a lot of youtube and did a lot of reading before going to the dealer). Took it straight to a lot and drove for 5 hours straight. Next couple of weeks took the long way home from work on purpose everyday. Am very comfortable now and glad I picked up a 6MT while they are still around. Definitely a more engaging and rewarding experience than my previous automatics.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #50
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.
Rep
Drives: E92, R6 SBK, etc, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Before this turns into another DCT vs. 6MT thread, I'm going to attempt the (possibly impossible) task of summarizing the main points that have surfaced out of the countless times this discussion has been had in one form or other.

The main appeal of DCT seems to be (in no particular order):
- DCT is drivable by people who can't drive stick, which can help with wife acceptance factor, for example.

*****understandable, maybe a little sad- but everyone has unique situations.

- DCT shifts faster, more precisely, and more consistently than any human ever could, which means more people can go faster with less effort in a car so equipped. If you're the type who likes to get in a car have it go as fast as it can in your hands, then the fact that DCT lets you flick a paddle to always pull off a fast and perfectly executed shift might make DCT the choice for you.

**** i agree that this seems to be a voiced reason around here, but damn if i don't find it misses the point. its true, but what about the spirit of driving? is it really measured in absolutes?

- DCT has no risk of grinding gears, money shifts, burning out the clutch, etc.

***** true, but who doesnt like grinding a gear now and then

- DCT is a remarkable piece of engineering. Some people just enjoy having a piece of interesting cutting edge technology.

*****- it is an amazing transmission! hell, i admire it, and in some ways want it..

- DCT has Launch Control.

***** pretty cool, if a little juvenile.

- DCT is more livable in bumper-to-bumper traffic when there isn't really an opportunity for driving enjoyment.

***** true dat.

The main appeal of 6MT seems to be (in no particular order):
- It saves you $2900 on a new purchase.

**** if money is deciding factor in your trans then i think you are buying out of your price range.

- People who drive stick CAN'T drive it, which gives some owners peace of mind since it keeps their cars out of the hands of others who might otherwise ask.

**** i could see that. pretty funny default, lets ya off the hook.

- It requires more effort to operate and more practice to master, which some enjoy for the challenge. If you're the type of person who enjoys being more involved in the drive and finds it rewarding to work on something and get more out of the car as a result of your hard work and practice rather than having a computer just do it perfectly for you, then 6MT might be for you.

**** word up. its almost like a craft.

- 6MT is easier and cheaper to repair. DCT was originally sold as a sealed unit and was only replaced, never repaired, though I'm hearing there have been some field repairs now. Either way, out-of-warranty costs could be quite high especially if the only option is complete replacement.

***** cool, but future worries is maybe a little unhealthy. plus make BMW eat it and bail before warranty is up? hopefully...

- 6MT is based on tried and true technology, which means reliability is fairly certain, whereas DCT is still new so its long-term reliability is still an unknown quantity. 6MT also doesn't have to deal with being controlled by a computer, which is another point of failure and which caused DCT to have some lag issues early on before a software fix was released.

**** must admit the early lag issues i read about gave me pause.

- 6MT may not be around much longer, so some people want to get it while they can.

**** sad but true, unless you're driving heavy equipment?
I picked the MT because i really enjoy the connection i build with the car. the more i drive the more in tune i become with nuances of what i can do with the tranny and car, and it gives me pleasure.

either way, the M3 is such a great car as long as you choose the tranny you want, you win!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #51
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Looks like the consensus is fairly even at 50/50 very interesting and some clever replies as well.

Thanks everyone

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'm glad the post topic was prefaced with "On your car" since otherwise I would have thought we were talking about my blender, or even my microwave.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

got e92 m3 dct then went to e93 stick shift. After that my friend bought my e93 and now back to e92 dct
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #54
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'm glad the post topic was prefaced with "On your car" since otherwise I would have thought we were talking about my blender, or even my microwave.
Good one shifting gears on a blender should be fun rrrr .... rrrr rrrr ... and so on

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #55
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
manual cause its what they have at the dealer... bought my car for 43k with 1k miles on it..... this was 2 years ago... LOL... dont ask me how.. i put 15k down...

i was going to order but for the price... cant beat it... i dont think anyone can... LOL
This poll actually tells us two additional facts:-

One, how many of us are carefully shopping around by checking what the dealer has on the lot .....

and

Two, how many of us blindly keep ordering form the factory and paying the higher price .....

Looks like the smaller percentage of us shops around and as long as that is the case the high end cars like the BMW will always be very pricey ... perhaps we need to start another poll What do you think?

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-21-2011 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Minor adjustment made
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #56
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I special ordered my M3 with DCT and I kinda regret it. The DCT is nice, but it's boring compared to driving manual.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #57
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I special ordered my M3 with DCT and I kinda regret it. The DCT is nice, but it's boring compared to driving manual.
I do agree James, I felt like that when I drove my e46 with smg.

Right now it looks like the DCT (59) boys are running away from the 6MT (49) fellows at last count

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-21-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #58
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

I ordered it with a DCT... after the test drive. It's a lot of fun!, but I don't think it can ever compare to the MT as far as "feeling and connecting" the driver to the machine. It's just a different ball game.
But bottom line: I love my DCT, especially when I hit bad traffic jams.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #59
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
I ordered it with a DCT... after the test drive. It's a lot of fun!, but I don't think it can ever compare to the MT as far as "feeling and connecting" the driver to the machine. It's just a different ball game.
But bottom line: I love my DCT, especially when I hit bad traffic jams.
... +1

PS. perhaps my next one will be a DCT I think I am getting too old in traffic it does suck

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #60
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
This poll actually tells us two additional facts:-

Two, how many of us blindly keep ordering form the factory and paying the higher price .....

Looks like the smaller percentage of us shops around and as long as that is the case the high end cars like the BMW will always be very pricey ... perhaps we need to start another poll What do you think?
I will somewhat disagree with this point. Look at how folks on this forum order from eurocars or golfrr at steep discounts to MSRP... Many of us who ordered cars got significant discounts despite a custom order. And I can promise you that there are many who by out of dealer inventory who still get no discounts for doing so.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #61
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I will somewhat disagree with this point. Look at how folks on this forum order from eurocars or golfrr at steep discounts to MSRP... Many of us who ordered cars got significant discounts despite a custom order. And I can promise you that there are many who by out of dealer inventory who still get no discounts for doing so.
You are quite right ... I was thinking as a Canadian, unfortunately we do not get the kind of discounts you fellows get in the US. The best I heard (or saw on this forum) was less 7.5% from the final listed price with options. Then if you check our Canadian dealerships prices here are always higher then in the US also BMW forbids US BMW dealers to sell to us Canadians.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #62
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Good point, I was purely speaking from my US perspective!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #63
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Good point, I was purely speaking from my US perspective!
Perhaps more Canadians can charm in on this point

For example a few months ago I purchased a new Apple MacBook Pro, the Canadian price was $150- higher then the US price even thou our dollar was stronger at the time (CDN $1.05 verses US $1.00). So seams no matter what it is we seam to get screwed north of the border.

So a shopping trip here and then to the USA still pays

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #64
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
not DCT, but SMG in my M5. I got SMG b/c thats what the engine was designed for, heard trouble w/ 6 speed manuals overheating w/ e60 M5s, and I have nerve damage in my right leg and a lower lumbar spinal injury The foot/leg shifting is hard for me, my leg swells after prolonged driving w/ a manual, and irritates my spine because of the leg shift movements.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #65
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340xi

Manual

Was torn between both trannys but got the manual because Laurel bmw got a very well maintained car in on a trade. The guy, a fellow forum member, who traded it in got a AW e92 6mt ZCP that he picked up in munich.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #66
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
MT because its my weekend toy. I have an e46 sedan auto for daily
Appreciate 0