BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM
View Poll Results: What Transmission did you pick and why?
DCT ordered with other options then waited for delivery 83 35.62%
DCT from dealers lot with other options I was looking for 35 15.02%
MT ordered with other options then waited for delivery 73 31.33%
MT from dealers lot with other options I was looking for 42 18.03%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

09-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #67
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Two, how many of us blindly keep ordering form the factory and paying the higher price .....

Looks like the smaller percentage of us shops around and as long as that is the case the high end cars like the BMW will always be very pricey ... perhaps we need to start another poll What do you think?
I got a really good price on my order. I don't think any on-the-lot sales can beat it. But I read what you wrote about being in Canada, so things may be different there... but there is something else I wanted to point out.

When buying on the lot:
1. It's a pain sometimes to find the car exactly as you want it
2. It's hard to keep a relationship with your dealer if you jump around when buying cars.
3. Sometimes you want to buy a car at a specific dealership because they're closer (this also goes with #2)
4. That car could have been test driven - you know what the dealer tells us to do on M3 test drives... I don't want to buy that car!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #68
menomo
Private
Rep
Drives: the new M3

6MT is duhh best
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #69
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I got 6MT cause I like the stick in my hands

Please, don't make this a sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #70
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
I got a really good price on my order. I don't think any on-the-lot sales can beat it. But I read what you wrote about being in Canada, so things may be different there... but there is something else I wanted to point out.

When buying on the lot:
2. It's hard to keep a relationship with your dealer if you jump around when buying cars.
3. Sometimes you want to buy a car at a specific dealership because they're closer (this also goes with #2)
4. That car could have been test driven - you know what the dealer tells us to do on M3 test drives... I don't want to buy that car!
All very valid points you make.

I know my next car will be a ED no question about it, I visited "Die Welt" in München in 2009 (driving a rented VW the next time I'm there it will be my M3 perhaps the next generation then taking it for a spin in Holland, Germany and Italy before handing it back for home delivery in Canada. Might even be a DCT V6 with twin turbos by then one never knows does one.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #71
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

If my M3 was to be my only car, I would have gone with DCT and 4-doors. Since my DD is my Porsche Cayenne which is an automatic, 4-door SUV, I went with the 6-speed coupe for my play toy.

I am curious to see the breakdown by age. I am 45. I grew up when manuals were by far the performance kings. Even though this is no longer the case, for me it is still about the involvement and physical action of using the clutch and shifter that gives you a sensory connection to the car that no form of automatic ever will.

Of course one could argue that technologies like stability control, anti-lock brakes, power-everything also detract from the "pure" and more sensory driving experience. Where one chooses to draw the line is an individual decision.

One thing is certain in my mind.....as cars get more and more powerful, you need more and more technology to make the car perform safely and competently. I don't think I would want a RWD manual transmission car that has much more power than the M3. That much power is just too hard to easily control and get to the ground. Even driving the M3 without the DSC can get a little wild at times. If I were to get the new M5, for example, I would certainly get DCT and AWD (which may be available).

Still, as a pure toy, there is nothing more classic than a V8 with RWD and a manual transmission.

Last edited by LarThaL; 09-21-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #72
Drjoeb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
If my M3 was to be my only car, I would have gone with DCT and 4-doors. Since my DD is my Porsche Cayenne which is an automatic, 4-door SUV, I went with the 6-speed coupe for my play toy.

I am curious to see the breakdown by age. I am 45. I grew up when manuals were by far the performance kings. Even though this is no longer the case, for me it is still about the involvment and physical action of using the clutch and shifter that gives you a sensory connection to the car that no form of automatic ever will.

Of course one could argue that technologies like stability control, anti-lock brakes, power-everything also detract from the "pure" and more sensory driving experience. Where one chooses to draw the line is an individual decision.

One thing is certain in my mind.....as cars get more and more powerful, you need more and more technology to make the car perform safely and competently. I don't think I would want a RWD manual transmission car that has much more power than the M3. That much power is just too hard to easily control and get to the ground. Even driving the M3 without the DSC can get a little wild at times. If I were to get the new M5, for example, I would certainly get DCT and AWD (which may be available).

Still, as a pure toy, there is nothing more classic than a V8 with RWD and a manual transmission.
Excellent points. FWIW I'm 50
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #73
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

24. Recently switched from auto back to manual. Best decision I ever made even though after a 1.5 year hiatus from driving stick my action is very notchy, this will no doubt improve with practise which again is a rewarding factor.

When I'm 45-50 I will look at automated shifters again.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #74
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
I've checked this forum to see if the question has been asked before or a pool issued, I found nothing (if it has been asked then I am sorry for repeating the question and this simple poll).

I read some place ...

Quote "New M3's on lot: ~95% DCT / ~5% MT"

and

"E9x M3's owned by forum loving, car enthusiasts, M enthusiasts: ~50% DCT / ~ 50% MT" End of Quote.

Let us see how many members here have picked one or the other transmission and if you have a few minutes tell us why.
mdct so my wife could drive. and im so happy
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #75
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post

I am curious to see the breakdown by age. I am 45. I grew up when manuals were by far the performance kings. Even though this is no longer the case, for me it is still about the involvment and physical action of using the clutch and shifter that gives you a sensory connection to the car that no form of automatic ever will.

Great post, well chosen words Perhaps we should start another thread in regard to the age break down ... it would be interesting

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #76
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
mdct so my wife could drive. and im so happy
Happiness is the most important thing after all ... happy for both of you

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #77
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
24. Recently switched from auto back to manual. Best decision I ever made even though after a 1.5 year hiatus from driving stick my action is very notchy, this will no doubt improve with practise which again is a rewarding factor.

Good plan so you still have a spell to go

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #78
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I was leaning towards 6spd, until I test drove a DCT that was on the lot. I loved DCT, for performance and practicality, given that I live in an area with lots of congestion and traffic, rowing gears can get annoying.

Having been around lots of other cars, the DCT is an amazing transmission, it's got a good amount of cool tech factor which pretty much sealed the deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #79
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjoeb View Post
Excellent points. FWIW I'm 50
Good for you Doc I was 50 in 1987 and got myself the then 535is (e28 pictures in my photo album - link below) just a step below the Me28 at that time it was all I could afford or let me say got away with from the family jules at that time, we still have that car and will never sell it, for it holds too many memories

Now at 74 I drive whatever I like

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 09-21-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: minor correction
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #80
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

I told my SA what I wanted, he found it. I had driven an M3 with DCT at Skip Barber and loved it, especially when I drove with one of the instructors that drove it like he stole it. Interesting thing, I have a 997tt 6MT and although the PDK is awesome, I really have a hard time making myself want a 911 with two pedals. I guess its a car specific thing for me, and maybe it will change. I do love the DCT and rarely drive it in D mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #81
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post

By the time you are 45-50, we may not have a choice
      09-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #82
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I read some place ...

Quote "New M3's on lot: ~95% DCT / ~5% MT"

and

"E9x M3's owned by forum loving, car enthusiasts, M enthusiasts: ~50% DCT / ~ 50% MT" End of Quote.
So far it seems as though your two quotes aren't quite holding to be true. More 6MTs bought off the lot than DCTs (instead of 95% of new cars on the lot being DCT) and greater than 50% is DCT of forum going M3 enthusiasts.

Not that this is scientific result but it does suggest some of the generalities people talk about aren't always true (or even close to it).
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #83
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post

When buying on the lot:
Same here. I got a great deal on my order and was completely pleased with the experience from order to taking delivery including the lease terms.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #84
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
So far it seems as though your two quotes aren't quite holding to be true. More 6MTs bought off the lot than DCTs (instead of 95% of new cars on the lot being DCT) and greater than 50% is DCT of forum going M3 enthusiasts.

Not that this is scientific result but it does suggest some of the generalities people talk about aren't always true (or even close to it).
Yes your observations are correct this is why I wanted to get the input from forum members here ...

I like to add this interesting and funny video clip here I saw some time ago, I'm sure most members have seen it before it addresses the new 1 M, however the presenter also touches on the M3 naturally ... enjoy

For the video clip click Here ---> Click .. Click and smile

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #85
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Got a 6MT because it felt more natural in that car.

Plus my 7 series turbo is automagic, my jag convertible was auto too (now sold thank god), no reason in having every car be a lazy car

I did however, originally have a DCT on order. Sometimes I regret not getting it because of the traffic, and more importantly the better gearing and 7th gear for mileage.

If I had to pick again now, it would be a serious toss up. I'd probably be 51% DCT and 49% 6MT. That's a tough choice.

Since I bought my M3 in March of 2008, it was one of the first ones over here with a build date of 12/07. DCT wasn't available at that point for another couple months. I was also worried about the first year reliability of a new transmission introduced to the market. In hindsight, I'm glad I made the decision I did considering the DCT lag issues, failing trannies, software issues, etc.. Now most of that seems to be ironed out. The DCT is buttery smooth and comming from the serious kick SMG III gave in my E60 M5, it left some to be desired.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. When I purchased the 6MT I had an inclination that it would be my last standard transmission BMW.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 09-22-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #86
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

6MT here. Admittedly, I bought the car used, but didn't even consider cars with the DCT. I feel the control the 3rd pedal gives you over the car cannot be matched. With that said, I haven't driven a DCT or automated manual before.

Honestly, if they made a DCT with a third pedal (similar to F1 cars of 8-12 years ago) I'd probably take one of those.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #87
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Looks like the DCT fellows have a 10 count advantage on us MT fellows seams NOT a 50/50 split as I read some place. Quite interesting.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #88
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

Someone from the 3 Series started a Poll after seeing this poll here results are slightly different thereHere ---> Looks like in the 3 Series Forum the MT fellows have it

Appreciate 0