BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #23
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

If you are considering an S2000 and have the coin, check out an '01-02 M Roadster which has the E46 M3 S54 in it. Or, an S52 like mine '98-00 which can be had for under $20k with low miles. You get a lot of the S2000 experience but with the sound and feel of a BMW straight 6.

http://www.mroadsterbuyersguide.com/listings/

Those are great options, but not very appealing to me to be honest. Not for a 15 year old car. But I am sure they drive amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Those are great options, but not very appealing to me to be honest. Not for a 15 year old car. But I am sure they drive amazing!
Only 10-12 years, lol. It's still somewhat early 2013.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
well yeah, that is what the S2000 has going for it, it was made later, some cars still out there that are nearly new still.

I always wanted a turbo'd or SC'd S2000 myself.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
all internet rumors. my sense is you've never owned a rotary.

no overheating issues and if by attention you mean check the oil every three weeks, well, it's called owning a car.

and soft? was rated the third best handling car under 100K by car and driver and regarded as one of best handling cars out there.

not fanboi-ing, just providing first hand information rather than internet skimming, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, i strongly disagree on personal experience. Is it a bit more involved than owning a mazdaspeed 3, or GTI, sure, but we're talking barely here.

I do think the GTI is a great choice as well, but why go FWD if you go RWD.

Sorry to disappoint, but this is first hand experience, not fodder from forums.

I'm not saying they are necessarily prone to overheating. But, if they do overheat, even slightly, you're replacing o-rings at a minimum. There is ZERO margin for error with cooling. Often you're done by the time you even see the temps spike. It's not that there's a high incidence of this. Rather, owning and maintaining a rotary is very different from maintaining anything else. Attention to maintenance and operating conditions is critical.

As far as my comment about the car being "soft", it is actually pretty soft. But that has nothing to do with its handling capabilities. They're very light with exceptional turn in and braking. But, they're soft. At least for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OMG! So many good options! You can get a Ford Focus ST in the US now? This is very appealing to me. 250hp, 270lb-ft! On that little thing? In 6MT? Wowzer!

Man, the US is finally becoming Hot Hatch eligible. Now BMW better bring over the M135i, and soon. Might make it to my next DD list.

Focus ST is an outstanding car. Highly recommend that you at least take a look. You'll have a hell of a test drive for sure.

Granted there will be arguments about RWD vs. FWD, but you HAVE a proper RWD car to slice and dice with. Sometimes you just want a good point-A-to-point-B car for racking up miles and the occasional shenanigans. All cars on the table will deliver that. A tool for every need...

(Full disclosure time - everything I own is either RWD or 4WD. But I also have lots of different tools to suit my many moods...)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

I have a new screaming yellow Focus ST at my disposal. I think must people would be more then impressed with it as a daily driver.I personally have never been one for small FWD cars , but there are a few out there I really enjoy. The ST is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
I have a new screaming yellow Focus ST at my disposal. I think must people would be more then impressed with it as a daily driver.I personally have never been one for small FWD cars , but there are a few out there I really enjoy. The ST is one of them.
Congrats. It really is an exceptional car. Especially at the price point.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #30
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but this is first hand experience, not fodder from forums.

I'm not saying they are necessarily prone to overheating. But, if they do overheat, even slightly, you're replacing o-rings at a minimum. There is ZERO margin for error with cooling. Often you're done by the time you even see the temps spike. It's not that there's a high incidence of this. Rather, owning and maintaining a rotary is very different from maintaining anything else. Attention to maintenance and operating conditions is critical.

As far as my comment about the car being "soft", it is actually pretty soft. But that has nothing to do with its handling capabilities. They're very light with exceptional turn in and braking. But, they're soft. At least for me.
First hand driving or owning? What year did you have.My point was that with ownership you'll find it's not any significantly different than owning any other car, it's a bit of an urban legend. Yes if you don't care about cars and maintenance it's not gonna help, but spark plug checks and oil checks to me are part of maintaining any car.

Fuel economy sucks though I got nothing there.
      05-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Any one have first hand experience with manual transmission:

Honda S2000
Mazda rx8
Golf GTI
Mazda speed 3
Subaru BRZ?

Did you like it or not, and why?

Thanks guys.
The S2000 last year was 2009, so if you try to get one the newest will be at least 4-5yrs old.
Great drivers car. But it's small inside.
Our dept director got a 2009 CR in 2010. It was a brand new left over '09.

I really like the GTI and the new one is coming very soon.
I prefer that DSG to MT in that car due to very awkwardly placed pedals that are not comfortable for me, maybe they will be to you.
The DSG is fantastic and really makes that car fun.

If you're going with used you should put the 135i on your list.
I had an '09 MT and that car was a blast to drive.
The weakest aspect was the stock suspension, but easily fixed with a new setup especially since you'll be saving buying used.

There is supposed to be a new 2 series to replace 1 series.
For the US it will be a coupe. I'm hoping BMW will make a sedan based on the 2 series. If they do either that coupe or sedan will be my next car, and I'm going back to MT
Current ZF AT is fantastic for an AT, but I'm missing the fun of an MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #32
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I haven't driven the Focus ST but the reviews on the internet are very positive.

this is a good review for the other cars you were looking at:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/07/s...8-honda-s2000/

Keep in mind the M235i coupe is due before the end of the year. If its anything like the M135i hatchback in Europe it will be pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #33
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The S2000 last year was 2009, so if you try to get one the newest will be at least 4-5yrs old.
Great drivers car. But it's small inside.
Our dept director got a 2009 CR in 2010. It was a brand new left over '09.

I really like the GTI and the new one is coming very soon.
I prefer that DSG to MT in that car due to very awkwardly placed pedals that are not comfortable for me, maybe they will be to you.
The DSG is fantastic and really makes that car fun.

If you're going with used you should put the 135i on your list.
I had an '09 MT and that car was a blast to drive.
The weakest aspect was the stock suspension, but easily fixed with a new setup especially since you'll be saving buying used.

There is supposed to be a new 2 series to replace 1 series.
For the US it will be a coupe. I'm hoping BMW will make a sedan based on the 2 series. If they do either that coupe or sedan will be my next car, and I'm going back to MT
Current ZF AT is fantastic for an AT, but I'm missing the fun of an MT.

Excellent perspective. Thanks RPM!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Focus ST is an outstanding car. Highly recommend that you at least take a look. You'll have a hell of a test drive for sure.

Granted there will be arguments about RWD vs. FWD, but you HAVE a proper RWD car to slice and dice with. Sometimes you just want a good point-A-to-point-B car for racking up miles and the occasional shenanigans. All cars on the table will deliver that. A tool for every need...

(Full disclosure time - everything I own is either RWD or 4WD. But I also have lots of different tools to suit my many moods...)

Thanks buddy. Your contributions have really been insightful, and I think are getting me closer to a decision. You're great!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #35
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post

So jelly right now. Did you get any of the packages? Are they any good? Recaro seats yay or nay?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post

Keep in mind the M235i coupe is due before the end of the year. If its anything like the M135i hatchback in Europe it will be pretty awesome.

Did not know that. So it will be revealed before the end of the year or will actually be available for purchase?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #37
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Did not know that. So it will be revealed before the end of the year or will actually be available for purchase?
from what I've seen on here, production starts in Nov.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830350
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

So I've narrowed it down to

1. Focus ST
2. Subaru BRZ
3. Golf GTI

If I were more inclined to take my car to the track, I would have definitely picked the BRZ. I don't need a "powerful" car. Just a fun one, that comes in MT. If I were shopping for a car that is "nice", refined and fun, I may have considered the GTI. BUT ... since all I need is a relentless maniac daily commuter with nice acoustics, defeatable traction nanny and 6 gears, it looks like the Focus ST all the way. Especially for the money and those Recaro seats. Can't beat that.

I am very curious to see the BRZ STI iteration and the M235i. This car segment is heating up!

Off to the test drives!

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 05-12-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #39
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
from what I've seen on here, production starts in Nov.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830350

Excellent. Thank you. Looks very promising. Just too long of a wait for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #40
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #41
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #42
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thank you interwebs. I feel like I don't even need to test drive these cars anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #44
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
all internet rumors. my sense is you've never owned a rotary.

no overheating issues and if by attention you mean check the oil every three weeks, well, it's called owning a car.
I've never owned an RX8 (and wouldn't) but I have owned 2 RX7 turbos and rebuilt and modded the engines in both by myself. Rotaries are very cool and an ingenious design in many ways, but if you're going to act like they're not temperamental, unreliable engines then you're crazy. IMO rotaries are great for enthusiasts, but they're a terrible choice for a daily driving road car.
Appreciate 0