BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

F'd up my Wheels

Anyone know a place locally that I can have my wheels repolished? I experimented with the Mothers Wheel Cleaner this weekend and needless to say, I destroyed my 2 month old ADV10 wheels. There is a milky residue around the entire polished lips. I guess the wheel cleaner was too strong. The wheels do not have a clear coat on them and are raw aluminum. Since its a 10 spoke concave rim, polishing by hand will be a nightmare. So Iím looking to have the wheels taken apart, polished and have a clear coat applied so I can just wash with soap and water in the future.
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa

Last edited by Eurohorses; 04-29-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Jinobee
Private
Jinobee's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: E90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Queens NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Anyone know a place locally that I can have my wheels repolished? I experimented with the Mothers Wheel Cleaner this weekend and needless to say, I destroyed my 2 month old ADV10 wheels. There is a milky residue around the entire polished lips. I guess the wheel cleaner was too strong. The wheels do not have a clear coat on them and are raw aluminum. Since its a 10 spoke concave rim, polishing by hand will be a nightmare. So Iím looking to have the wheels taken apart, polished and have a clear coat applied so I can just wash with soap and water in the future.
Intrack tires does good work in queens ny
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinobee View Post
Intrack tires does good work in queens ny
I called them yesterday before posting this thread and they stated they dont have the service in place yet but should have it in about a month or so.
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
And1M3
Major
And1M3's Avatar
15
Rep
1,071
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (6)

Have you try and use meguiar's metal polish on your rims. I had some nasty white residue on my chrome lips, after using sonax wheel cleaner and this stuff helped me get it off.


Last edited by And1M3; 04-29-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

I have tried a small portion using the Mothers Metal Polish. It comes off with a little elbow grease. But the design of my wheels would make doing them by hand very difficult. The easiest way would be to have the faces removed. But that in itself is tricky since i beleive i would have to dismount the tires and what not. So instead of me taking them apart, Im looking for a shop that can do this but also add a clear coat to the lip so i can simply clean with soap and water in the future. Needlesss to say, i now have a very expensive set of wheels that look like crap.
Attached Images
  
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
mlee4984
Slow M3 Driver
mlee4984's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to mlee4984
info@espospowdercoating.com
__________________

2014 Citrin Schwarz Metallic M5
2005 Interlagos Blau Metallic M3
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee4984 View Post
Thanks. Ill give them a call
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
M3LISSA
Captain
M3LISSA's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
603
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90, M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee4984 View Post
Thanks. Ill give them a call
He's a friend of mine... Call him
__________________
2011 E90 M3 // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
Camnyc
wannabe
33
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nyc/pbi

iTrader: (3)

you can give ariel @ perfect metal finishing a call as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
mlee4984
Slow M3 Driver
mlee4984's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to mlee4984
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
He's a friend of mine... Call him
No one will touch my wheels besides Tom from now on.

He's done 3-4 sets of my wheels, 100% satisfied every time. Hard to find any one more meticulous/an*l than Tom.

Mike
__________________

2014 Citrin Schwarz Metallic M5
2005 Interlagos Blau Metallic M3
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
mack77
New Member
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Go to the wheel collision center. Don't let the outdated website fool you, they do EXCELLENT work.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
11152
Rep
9,083
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack77 View Post
Go to the wheel collision center. Don't let the outdated website fool you, they do EXCELLENT work.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/
Very nice looking girl on their website, think she does the excellent work !
Edit ; She may do my wheels too , but only in bent over position ...
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-30-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Tried calling... didnt get an answer. SI is a troop for me. I was hoping to find a shop in Queens, LI, or Westchester. But i'll wait to hear what they can offer.

Thanks!
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
rjd598
Major General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
377
Rep
5,993
Posts

Drives: E90 M3/ F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Very nice looking girl on their website, think she does the excellent work !
Edit ; She may do my wheels too , but only in bent over position ...
__________________
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
11152
Rep
9,083
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
You know me longer...and longer than from today ..
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #16
mlee4984
Slow M3 Driver
mlee4984's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to mlee4984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Tried calling... didnt get an answer. SI is a troop for me. I was hoping to find a shop in Queens, LI, or Westchester. But i'll wait to hear what they can offer.

Thanks!
Email is the best way to contact them.
__________________

2014 Citrin Schwarz Metallic M5
2005 Interlagos Blau Metallic M3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #17
mack77
New Member
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Very nice looking girl on their website, think she does the excellent work !
Edit ; She may do my wheels too , but only in bent over position ...
LOL
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
s85e90
Brigadier General
125
Rep
3,635
Posts

Drives: black e90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (2)

You don't need to remove the tires to take apart the wheels. You can just take the faces off and do this yourself. IMO I would rather have the lips cleared also that way you'll never have this issue again.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
11152
Rep
9,083
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack77 View Post
LOL
Yeah ... Her name is Candy !
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #20
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
You don't need to remove the tires to take apart the wheels. You can just take the faces off and do this yourself. IMO I would rather have the lips cleared also that way you'll never have this issue again.
I thought this was the case too. I thought i could just deflate the tires to reduce the pressure on the wheel. Then just remove the face and polish away. But every site that i have read cautions that the seal bwtween the 2 barrels on a 3 piece wheel could be compromised when removing the face.

Even still, this whole raw aluminum lip is a Pain in the A$$. I would want a clear added to just do away with the issue.
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #21
Camnyc
wannabe
33
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nyc/pbi

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
I thought this was the case too. I thought i could just deflate the tires to reduce the pressure on the wheel. Then just remove the face and polish away. But every site that i have read cautions that the seal bwtween the 2 barrels on a 3 piece wheel could be compromised when removing the face.

Even still, this whole raw aluminum lip is a Pain in the A$$. I would want a clear added to just do away with the issue.
not true at all.

Deflate the wheel completely, and then unbolt the face from the barrel/lips. You can then use a mothers powerball and white diamond polish to polish the lips yourself.

I do not recommend having polished lips cleared as they always look dull and the clear will lift and peel within a few weeks of having it done, as the clear cant properly stick to the polished surface.

You can look into opti coat for the lips or a similar coating which will repel dirt and such, protecting the finish of the wheels and making it a breeze to clean.

Also going forward, only use car soap to clean the wheels. you can get away with sonax if needed be.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
Eurohorses
Lieutenant
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
not true at all.

Deflate the wheel completely, and then unbolt the face from the barrel/lips. You can then use a mothers powerball and white diamond polish to polish the lips yourself.

I do not recommend having polished lips cleared as they always look dull and the clear will lift and peel within a few weeks of having it done, as the clear cant properly stick to the polished surface.

You can look into opti coat for the lips or a similar coating which will repel dirt and such, protecting the finish of the wheels and making it a breeze to clean.

Also going forward, only use car soap to clean the wheels. you can get away with sonax if needed be.
Appreciate all the good info. I will experiment with one wheel. Wish me luck
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST