BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Pissed at dealership

I need to vent and also need some advice.

I took my car in today since I was feeling a little shimmy in the steering wheel ever since I had installed new wheels. I did the requisite trouble-shooting and it was still here, so the next step was to get a front wheel alignment.

So, I take the car into BMW of Little Rock with 9849 miles on the ODO, and verified by the fob. They keep the car the entire damn day, and tell me that both front wheels were slightly off, and they roadforce balanced them. They quote me $60 at the outset, charge me a 100 because of some 'extra work' that needed to be done. I get into the car and the mileage reads 9886!! They drove 37 miles testing driving the damn thing?!? and consume an eight of a tank of gas in the meanwhile.

I asked for an explanation, and instead of offering an explanation, the manager tells me that 'maybe' the tech took 2 or more test drives to make sure the alignment was right. I don't think even 2 test drives can rack up 37 miles.

I am pissed. Its not the miles or the gas, it's the fact that I don't know if they abused the car, plus I can't trust them anymore. They are the only dealership for 200 miles around me. I need help digesting this and putting this into perspective, or should I write to BMWNA?

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

move on with life.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
move on with life.
+1
I understand your frustration OP, but I doubt you'll get anything done to rectify what happened from the dealer or BMW.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

dealerships, lol..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

+2

You're not the first customer where a tech has taken an extended "test" drive. So long as they fixed the issue and didn't do any damage to your car just move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
I sometimes leave a note taped to the dash or steering wheel indicating mileage at drop-off and other details (like "no test drives without owner" esp. if a test drive is not really required-- in this case it was). It makes them aware that you are keeping track of the mileage and reduces the tendency to drive the car extensively.

I also tell the dealer not to wash the car since then you have the young guys in the car wash crew goofing with your car. Every unfamiliar driver is another chance to do some damage. Once had the front splitter ripped from a car by a muffler shop. That opened my eyes a bit to the risks of service appointments.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

9 miles test one way, 9 miles come back....fix issue...9 miles test again, 9 miles back. issue resolved. who cares?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Just had a rear wheel speed sensor replaced. Invoice shows that car should be driven at least 10 miles to test new sensor... Didn't bother checking the odometer before or after.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
One mile on the freeway is more than enough to detect a wheel imbalance. But yeah, depends on the location of the dealer with respect to an open road, etc.

Mine had a slight imbalance on right front when I bought it. The very cool indie shop I brought it to with a Hunter Road Force balancer were so confident it was right after the rebalance that they didn't even need to test drive it (it was done while I waited). They just said to "come back or give us a call if it's not perfect (...but you won't need to!)".

If I had left the car with them they would have had to test drive it though-- can't have the customer coming back twice for the same complaint...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Ludey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
I need to vent and also need some advice.

I took my car in today since I was feeling a little shimmy in the steering wheel ever since I had installed new wheels. I did the requisite trouble-shooting and it was still here, so the next step was to get a front wheel alignment.

So, I take the car into BMW of Little Rock with 9849 miles on the ODO, and verified by the fob. They keep the car the entire damn day, and tell me that both front wheels were slightly off, and they roadforce balanced them. They quote me $60 at the outset, charge me a 100 because of some 'extra work' that needed to be done. I get into the car and the mileage reads 9886!! They drove 37 miles testing driving the damn thing?!? and consume an eight of a tank of gas in the meanwhile.

I asked for an explanation, and instead of offering an explanation, the manager tells me that 'maybe' the tech took 2 or more test drives to make sure the alignment was right. I don't think even 2 test drives can rack up 37 miles.

I am pissed. Its not the miles or the gas, it's the fact that I don't know if they abused the car, plus I can't trust them anymore. They are the only dealership for 200 miles around me. I need help digesting this and putting this into perspective, or should I write to BMWNA?

What do you guys think?
Oh yes, definitely know where you are with this. Try visiting the dealership again to voice your displeasure. Prep for your visit: Apply a thick layer of camouflage face paint - get it done pro, no kid stuff here. Place a high quality machete with holster around your waist. Remove shirt, pants, and underwear. Ensure you are displaying a FULL ON erection. Ask to speak to the manager on duty. Wait patiently as others around you admire your fortitude. Gently explain why you feel distrust towards an otherwise wonderful service department. Calmly ask for a full tank of gas toward reconciliation and remind them of your influence over others in the enthusiast community (motion towards penis).

This usually works for me in these situations.

Ok - hopefully you are laughing... maybe even gained some perspective over this situation? Basically remind yourself there are way more important things in life then this insignificant issue and move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I completely understand your frustration I would have felt the same. BMWNA will not do anything. If you get a survey about the service give them a bad one and make sure in the future to say NO test drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree. What is weird is that the sign-out sheet mentioned the check-out mileage at 9853, a mere 4 miles from drop off. Knowing that mileage on the sheet is fob-derived, it appears that someone took it for a joy-ride after the job was performed on the car.

But thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludey View Post
Oh yes, definitely know where you are with this. Try visiting the dealership again to voice your displeasure. Prep for your visit: Apply a thick layer of camouflage face paint - get it done pro, no kid stuff here. Place a high quality machete with holster around your waist. Remove shirt, pants, and underwear. Ensure you are displaying a FULL ON erection. Ask to speak to the manager on duty. Wait patiently as others around you admire your fortitude. Gently explain why you feel distrust towards an otherwise wonderful service department. Calmly ask for a full tank of gas toward reconciliation and remind them of your influence over others in the enthusiast community (motion towards penis).

This usually works for me in these situations.

Ok - hopefully you are laughing... maybe even gained some perspective over this situation? Basically remind yourself there are way more important things in life then this insignificant issue and move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
I completely understand your frustration I would have felt the same. BMWNA will not do anything. If you get a survey about the service give them a bad one and make sure in the future to say NO test drive.

Thanks, just leaves a bad taste, when you insist on letting no one else drive the car and baby the crap out of it....then some random guy takes it for 30+ unaccountable miles and never owns up. Not fun, but it'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Moving forward, insist that a Master Technician and/or Shop Foreman wrench on your car. I have a few good technicians in town that I've known for years, and I know they can drive. I don't mind that they rip on it b/c 1) it ensures there isn't anything else that feels or sounds different than it should (it should perform in all variables, not just granny mode) and 2) that's pretty much how they were meant to be driven.

Additionally, see if you can locate a proper dealer or Indy in YOUR area in my creation below:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...281&dg=feature
      07-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Moving forward, insist that a Master Technician and/or Shop Foreman wrench on your car. I have a few good technicians in town that I've known for years, and I know they can drive. I don't mind that they rip on it b/c 1) it ensures there isn't anything else that feels or sounds different than it should (it should perform in all variables, not just granny mode) and 2) that's pretty much how they were meant to be driven.

Additionally, see if you can locate a proper dealer or Indy in YOUR area in my creation below:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...281&dg=feature

Thanks, however I live in the freaking boonies. Little Rock is hardly a city. There is one BMW dealership, maybe two Indys listed in bimmershop, and I have had no experience with anyone since I moved here recently. Already thinking of re-locating.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #17
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Imagine how I feel! The other day I got into my car and noticed some ahole put nearly 45,000 miles on the car before I had a chance to drive it. I have no idea what he did during those miles. He may have even driven it hard once or twice.

Just kidding, but really, these cars are tough. Even if he drove it like he stole it for 37 miles, it wouldn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Imagine how I feel! The other day I got into my car and noticed some ahole put nearly 45,000 miles on the car before I had a chance to drive it. I have no idea what he did during those miles. He may have even driven it hard once or twice.

Just kidding, but really, these cars are tough. Even if he drove it like he stole it for 37 miles, it wouldn't matter.

HAHA... you guys make me sound like a pansy. but thanks, needed the perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Scan the computer and see if it was red-lined during that time frame.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #20
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
Scan the computer and see if it was red-lined during that time frame.

pardon the naivete, but how do i do that?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Any good shop that can flash your tune for example, can tell you the codes generated. Who can do tunes on your car in Little Rock. Or just ask the SA at the dealership to look.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #22
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I was about to post a "am I over reacting thread". I had differential, coolant and oil change. I pick up car same day and my servicelight comes on ssayingim 20 mikes past due on front brake change! I had 2000 miles to go when I dropped it off. 9 miles were put on my car and manager says 9 miles is normal test drive after oil or differential. Maybebut 9 miles? I wwouldn't care about the 9 buy how hard to you have to beat on brakes to drain from 2000 to -20 in 9 miles?
Appreciate 0