BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Can't believe this happened!

Just as I was praising how safe Motorsport has gotten, a friend sent me the link to this video which not only ruined my day, but made quite sad. My prayers to the family of this kid. Definitely not a beginner. Just a sad situation overall. May his soul rsst in peace.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M5 IS300

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Ward family.

The sad part is that there is no regulation in Sprint cars that states that the driver needs to remain inside of his car unless in an emergency situation. This would have been an easily avoidable situation if cooler heads had prevailed or if Ward had just waited to confront Stewart after the race.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

It's tragic but I agree with what majority of people been saying. Ward should've stayed in the car.. Tony should've paid more attention as well...Sad to see a young driver ends his life/career like that...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Why the ..... in what situation......on what planet ..... would you EVER walk out into a live race track?
That's suicide. He walked down into the racing line ....and they are talking about "investigating" Tony Stewart = wtf is wrong with this debate?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

This is being discussed here as well http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021638

Terrible tragedy, and totally avoidable. Sometimes cooler heads don't prevail. There is a lot to be learned from this: stay in your m-effing car!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Yeah super sad but I'd still put 98% on Ward. I see the car in front if Sterwart jump on the brakes, which likely distracted Sterwart and when he look back up, Ward had walked down a few MORE steps right into his line. Many people mention the revving you hear at impact, and from what I've read, you swear those cars with the throttle more than the steering wheel.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

I'm completely with you guys, unfortunately Stewart is getting bashed for a situation that he did not foresee, in a momentetum-low traction-induced drift sport, and an evening event for that matter. Who would want to intentionally hit another human being. Everyone knows the reason why you stay in car unless its on fire. He could have easily been hit by another car. Sad to see him lose his life so young. Hope is family's pain will heal soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Both parties are responsible. Ward seems like a young hot-head who would've been killed doing the same thing sometime in the future if not this, so he got what was coming.

As for Tony, I don't buy the "blinded by the wing/car in front" theory (yet). He's also a hot-head so he probably wanted to intimidate him a little bit, but went overboard and killed him by mistake. I feel bad for Tony, but how he will be looked at is dependent on how he takes care of this situation publicly and personally from now on for a long time. He just needs to show remorse (regardless of fault), promote safety for racers, and rid his confrontational public image (acting?).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I watched my first NASCAR race this weekend and was horrified to see drivers get out of their cars and wait for whoever put them into the wall to come around again and chuck their helmets at them.

Are they insane?

In HDPEs this would get you a ban for life. In any kind of professional motorsport you should get seriously penalized for dicking around in a hot lap and banned for at least one season for chucking things at other drivers.

Watch the video. The guy gets out of the car pointing like a psycho at another car, then proceeds to walk right into a hot track... to do what exactly?

Either US' motorsports become like the rest of the world's or the US just accepts that every now and then, natural selection will take its course.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Nascar is entertainment. The past few years EVERY driver has gotten out of their cars on live racing surfaces (under yellow usually) and confronted moving vehicles. It actually became popular,and even got more traction as all the highlight reels would feature the incident. Nascar even promoted it with "have at it boys" in their driver meetings.

This kid was probably equally as stupid as he was trying to make a name for himself by confronting big bad Tony. Only thing meditated in this incident was him getting out of that car. Shame to lose your life over something so ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

It's so embarrassing that the entertainment of NASCAR and this type of motorsport has shifted from entertaining with awesome driving skill and passing move to Mike Tyson type man vs machine move. Bottom line is they give the sport a bad name. Why does someone have to die for them to realize that's bad entertainment. True Motorsport fans are excited by the racing moves, talent, and not "when is the next crash/pile up going to happen". Heck, I can't even stand watching the caution flag common, let alone "damn another crash". Not sure what part of that some of these people find entertaining. As some have said, Motorsport was already struggling in this country, I'm finding it hard to get a lot of events I love televised. Hope they really. Hope they really change the rules, since it's obvious that he had to wear a Hans device, Harnes etc even with the protection of the car, what they he think was going to protect him outside of the car. Sometimes immaturity is more dangerous than lack of skill. So upsetting.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M5 IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
It's so embarrassing that the entertainment of NASCAR and this type of motorsport has shifted from entertaining with awesome driving skill and passing move to Mike Tyson type man vs machine move. Bottom line is they give the sport a bad name. Why does someone have to die for them to realize that's bad entertainment. True Motorsport fans are excited by the racing moves, talent, and not "when is the next crash/pile up going to happen". Heck, I can't even stand watching the caution flag common, let alone "damn another crash". Not sure what part of that some of these people find entertaining. As some have said, Motorsport was already struggling in this country, I'm finding it hard to get a lot of events I love televised. Hope they really. Hope they really change the rules, since it's obvious that he had to wear a Hans device, Harnes etc even with the protection of the car, what they he think was going to protect him outside of the car. Sometimes immaturity is more dangerous than lack of skill. So upsetting.
+1

I think that the series governing body is the most to blame in this. Their responsibility is to ensure the safety of all drivers, fans and track workers first and foremost. Its an embarassment to have motorsports turn into professional wrestling.

As much as I hate the politics of F1, I appreciate how seriously they have come to take safety in both car design and regulations.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Why has Stewart not substantially slowed down after the yellow flag? (I'm assuming a flag came up after the initial incident, then Stewart went around a lap under said flag).
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

I haven't been paying too much attention to this and haven't really passed judgement on the subject (although I do know you don't get out of a car and walk around on the track). I did read an article about it that I really liked though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...0ce_story.html

(Sorry on mobile)

The guy is obviously trying to make a point, but I think it's a good one. I think of myself as a pretty safe driver (though not without faults) and I see drivers do crazy things each day just to be one car ahead of someone on the way to work. Just remember to think about what's really important and do your best to stay safe!
Appreciate 0