BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
mike33176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

M3 VS New STI. Easiest Kill Ever!!!

So, I pull up to one of my Favorite restaurants. It's called The Daily Bread in Pinecrest,Fl that one of our fellow M3 board members owns and go inside and order. I come outside to a pretty open parking lot except for the guy who pulled up and parked right next to me in a new Black STI with exhaust and a bumper sticker which read" V8 Killer". He and this really cute chick come out of the car and he looks at my car and I see he notices the exhaust and maybe the Active Autowerke Lisense plate frame. I said" V8 Killer, That's Adorable! Want to put that to a test"? She said "He'll race yo---" until he put his hand over her mouth and said to stop. He looked back at my car and said," Nice Car, I'm good". Really Funny!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
So, I pull up to one of my Favorite restaurants. It's called The Daily Bread in Pinecrest,Fl that one of our fellow M3 board members owns and go inside and order. I come outside to a pretty open parking lot except for the guy who pulled up and parked right next to me in a new Black STI with exhaust and a bumper sticker which read" V8 Killer". He and this really cute chick come out of the car and he looks at my car and I see he notices the exhaust and maybe the Active Autowerke Lisense plate frame. I said" V8 Killer, That's Adorable! Want to put that to a test"? She said "He'll race yo---" until he put his hand over her mouth and said to stop. He looked back at my car and said," Nice Car, I'm good". Really Funny!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL thank you for this made my day. Even a fully modded stage 2 has difficulty keeping
Up my friend tried to keep up with my manual with his stock destroyed even when he did full stage 2 at 22psi he was struggling and as soon as 100 hit he fell back.
      04-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Untouchable
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Nice
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

well I'm sure he can kill Suburbans and Expeditions and stuff. so his v8 killer plate is somewhat justified
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Dgarcia41982
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 sedan

Lol nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
hieu1004
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3

Haha, nice! I'm glad he wasn't a dbag about it. I had a newer modded STi and they are quick, but a stock M3 will definitely walk a stage 2 STi. The STi might pull ahead at the launch due to AWD, but an M3 will definitely reel it in and pass at the top end. (Assuming driver of equal skill, of course). A stage 2 STi does have the potential to run mid-high 12's in the hands of a good driver, but a lot of it has to do with the AWD and launch. It runs out of breath at the top end, but still very quick.

Last edited by hieu1004; 04-16-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Quote:
Next time, tell your b!atch to stfu. LOL Jokes aside, funny story. I had a friend who wanted to race me in his miata. I asked him, with my feet?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

I had a 09 STI with stg2 before this car , a really fun car to drive , a lot of low end torque but was'nt as fast as my manuel M3 in the higher gears! I did a couple 12.5 on the 1/4 mile and my best trap was 110mph on a 12.6 run , not bad for 2k of mods on a 40k car !

can you tell I love the color combo !?

Name:  M3 19.png
Views: 5687
Size:  556.3 KB

Name:  sti.jpg
Views: 5923
Size:  106.7 KB

Last edited by Alex07M3; 04-16-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

umm, from a dig, he'd most likely beat you... I had 09 stage 2, and it's quick... I did 12.9 when I had just the tune (stg1), and stg2 run around 12.5.... after 100mph, yea m3 is faster. But then again, STI is a "rally" car, and they don't need more than 100mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

sti's are beasts, but im sure it still cant hold up to an m3..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

haha he was cool about it. STi's are fun cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
sti's are beasts, but im sure it still cant hold up to an m3..
A stg2 STI is in a stock M3s ass but with just a turbo upgrade it can easily become a V8 killer , my friend had a GT35R on a 04 STI and at 25psi he was trapping 122mph and did a best 1/4 mile of 11.7 but that was with a lot of shifting , he was passing the line in 5th ! That car had almost no lag because of the 2.5 engine , montrous torque mixed with AWD and lighweight car made it a beast !! It was just missing a bit of refinement in the cabin but for sure it was a totaly awsome experience being at the wheel of this car !!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

oh well, STi can be stupid fast when modded. But what's the point? Any modded car can be faster than any other car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Not sure why this was funny, especially since if he'd been a mental teenager like yourself and accepted the challenge, he most likely would've kicked your ass off a light.

Everybody somehow accepts the "fact" that M3s are mid-twelves cars, but unless you are an extremely accomplished drag racer, you're going to be closer to thirteen flat in a quarter mile at a high-traction drag strip, and slower than that on the street. On the other hand, it'll be easier to launch his car properly on the street than at a drag strip, and since most street races are shorter than a quarter mile, you'd most likely lose.

Given your attitude, that would be funny.

Granted, the M3 is a terrific all-around car and the STI less so, but in this sort of narrow venue, you'd be in trouble.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
oh well, STi can be stupid fast when modded. But what's the point? Any modded car can be faster than any other car.
not any modded car can be as fun as an STI for that cheap , I don't know what other cars you're talking about but in the STI price range , not a lot of car can make good use of that much power ! If you really wonder what's the point of having a 500hp STI for less then 30k , it's either you don't know the value of money or you simply don't like going fast !!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
not any modded car can be as fun as an STI for that cheap , I don't know what other cars you're talking about but in the STI price range , not a lot of car can make good use of that much power ! If you really wonder what's the point of having a 500hp STI for less then 30k , it's either you don't know the value of money or you simply don't like going fast !!
I'm not debating whether a modded STi can beat a M3, I have no doubt that it can on less money.

I'm saying, it's pointless to argue that modded [insert car name here] is faster than [insert another car].

When I had my Evo 8, I'm sure no one gives a shit that "well, if I put a GT35 turbo on, I'll run circles around the Ferrari F430". I'm just saying, what's the point? Any car can be modded to be faster than any other car, and therefore enhance an agrument that that car is now faster, etc. I think the better comparison will be stock for stock, which car is faster/better handling etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
Haha, nice! I'm glad he wasn't a dbag about it. I had a newer modded STi and they are quick, but a stock M3 will definitely walk a stage 2 STi. The STi might pull ahead at the launch due to AWD, but an M3 will definitely reel it in and pass at the top end. (Assuming driver of equal skill, of course). A stage 2 STi does have the potential to run mid-high 12's in the hands of a good driver, but a lot of it has to do with the AWD and launch. It runs out of breath at the top end, but still very quick.
That, and you only have a limited number of such launches available before leaving some drivetrain components on the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Cool. If you want to spend all your time in the garage fixing it (and really, 500hp for $30K all in, NO.) then it's a decent way to go. If you like driving, on the other hand.. Stage 1 and 2 are no problem in an STi. That's where the fun stops and the work starts though. Big builds are costly and tenuous and you sacrifice more than an acceptable amount of reliability from a street car when you get into Stage 3+. Just my 2c, I owned one. They aren't sporty. They are very capable, fast, AWD family cars.

My Stg2 STi was genuinely quick though, especially at my altitude. MAYBE quicker than the E92 M3 up in the mountains. But I wasn't delusional about what kind of car it was.

@OP awesome story
      04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

half the cylinders and half the cost and the STi will still put up similar lap times around most tracks

you would think the all might M would have a much bigger advantage, but the performance is damn near matched out of a 4 banger econo hatchback
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not debating whether a modded STi can beat a M3, I have no doubt that it can on less money.

I'm saying, it's pointless to argue that modded [insert car name here] is faster than [insert another car].

When I had my Evo 8, I'm sure no one gives a shit that "well, if I put a GT35 turbo on, I'll run circles around the Ferrari F430". I'm just saying, what's the point? Any car can be modded to be faster than any other car, and therefore enhance an agrument that that car is now faster, etc. I think the better comparison will be stock for stock, which car is faster/better handling etc.
I was'nt arguing , I was just saying as an information to peolple who would'nt know , it's not a question of if the STI can be faster then a M3 ,everyone know that any car can be made faster then an other. I was just relating my experience with my friends STI to others that would be interested to ear, like people do on forums of discussion.

Also , yes you can put a GT35R on a Evo , for sure you wont circle around a F430 , you would be lucky to be as fast but not a good idea anyway, the lag with that small 2.0l would kill the fun as opposite to the STI!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
That, and you only have a limited number of such launches available before leaving some drivetrain components on the pavement.

Cool. If you want to spend all your time in the garage fixing it (and really, 500hp for $30K all in, NO.) then it's a decent way to go. If you like driving, on the other hand.. Stage 1 and 2 are no problem in an STi. That's where the fun stops and the work starts though. Big builds are costly and tenuous and you sacrifice more than an acceptable amount of reliability from a street car when you get into Stage 3+. Just my 2c, I owned one. They aren't sporty. They are very capable, fast, AWD family cars.

My Stg2 STi was genuinely quick though, especially at my altitude. MAYBE quicker than the E92 M3 up in the mountains. But I wasn't delusional about what kind of car it was.

@OP awesome story
I don't know on what basis you say that you have limited numbers of such launches but I know that me and my friends had past plenty of summers going at the drag strip with our STIs , doing launches like we stole the car , all 3 of us were running stg2s and doing 1.6-1.7sec 60ft with 12.5-12.6 1/4 mile . We've all done at least 100 runs each with our cars and not a single transmition or clutch issue !

Also , you can get an STI for under 20k these days , and for 10k you can have a built engine with a gt35r for sure ! My friend runned his GT35R at 25psi for 2 years and he sold it to someone who still drive it with no issue ! In the case of my friend he was passing all his time at the track driving it , not at the garage fixing it !
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
... I think the better comparison will be stock for stock, which car is faster/better handling etc.
I don't think comparing a stock 35k car vs a stock 65k car is really the better comparaison, to be fair with each car you could compare an M3 with a STI of the same cost !
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Gfunk720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3- AW

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
While my M is still stock, my old stock block STI would easily pull on my M pretty badly. Although it did have quite a bit of modifications, you never know what you could pull up next to with STIs/Evos. After a supercharger though, the M shouldn't have a problem beating up on it.

It's not really an apples to apples comparison though, as the STI is a econo-box on steroids. The M is a luxury performance vehicle.