BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Question Thoughts on the NCRC group

I'm planning on heading out to Buttonwillow with NCRC (Northern California Racing Club) next weekend since I can't make the Speed Ventures event the following weekend since it's Easter weekend. I've heard good things from the Nor Cal PCA guys on Rennlist about NCRC. Any opinions on them from you guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I've run with NCRC for the past 10 years. They are pretty good. If you are looking to get some seat time, it is definitely the best deal out there.

They don't offer instructors usually so it is not for beginner drivers. If you have driven the course before on track days then it is fine. They also run a competitive "race" group on their track days so that is how they recoup some of their costs and can offer the track days at lower cost.

When NCRC first started, we called them the "Walmart" of track days. They offer cheap track day pricing, pack in as many cars as they can with no instruction. It's a great deal if you want cheap seat time, not so much if you want instructors riding with you and care about track traffic. Because of their low pricing, it put a few track day organizers out of business.
      04-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I've run with NCRC for the past 10 years. They are pretty good. If you are looking to get some seat time, it is definitely the best deal out there.

They don't offer instructors usually so it is not for beginner drivers. If you have driven the course before on track days then it is fine. They also run a competitive "race" group on their track days so that is how they recoup some of their costs and can offer the track days at lower cost.

When NCRC first started, we called them the "Walmart" of track days. They offer cheap track day pricing, pack in as many cars as they can with no instruction. It's a great deal if you want cheap seat time, not so much if you want instructors riding with you and care about track traffic. Because of their low pricing, it put a few track day organizers out of business.
Yeah, their pricing was cheaper than Speed Ventures (group I run with when I'm not in a PCA, POC, or BMW CCA event). Buttonwillow is my home track and run in the advanced group so no instruction needed. I also heard that they keep to the schedule fairly well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I've ran with NCRC quite a few times (Buttonwillow and Thunderhill) and I've always had a good experience with them. They are very organized, friendly, and stay on schedule. Contrary to the previous post, I didn't find the traffic to be much of a problem with NCRC, it's something that is unavoidable with any group frankly.. I'd recommend them for sure!
      04-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:

been with them for 4yrs....love them!!!!!!!!!!!! agree with everything above!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      04-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
ivad32
Keelhauler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i 6-spd

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I've run with NCRC the last 4 years and very satisfied with their program. They stress more track etiquette than driving physics. Run groups ~20 cars so traffic is not an issue. Overall, awesome value.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivad32 View Post
I've run with NCRC the last 4 years and very satisfied with their program. They stress more track etiquette than driving physics. Run groups ~20 cars so traffic is not an issue. Overall, awesome value.
You bring up an interesting point, the PCA guys told me that they are definitely better for more experienced track drivers. As long as they don't tolerate idiots that tend to ruin the sessions I'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
LittleBlueBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3, 2002 M coupe

Garage List
1999 E36 M3  [0.00]
2010 E90 M3  [0.00]
I have tried a lot of groups and I find them to be the best. Somehow they have gotten it figured out, good groupings, less asshats than in most other groups, a tight schedule, lots of time on the track, and laid back people. Everyone is really nice. If you need an instructor, you can pay for one for the whole day but if you want one session it is usually not an issue.

"M3 drivers have no friends." -Jezza
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
kormaster
Banned
Rep
Drives: POS car

NCRC - on time so i liked thill experience with them.

If you group had an incident and cut your session time, they usually give that group "bonus" session at the end of the day. Fair.

Some organization never stay on time as they try, and i do not like when you grid up and you wait 10 minutes just to get on track...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

let me know what the dates are - ill prob head out there with ncrc as well…they are pretty strict with all the rules…three black flags and your day is done.

Crap if its this weekend cant go. Might do next weekend grip/drift event to get some sideways practice if anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:46 AM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post
I've ran with NCRC quite a few times (Buttonwillow and Thunderhill) and I've always had a good experience with them. They are very organized, friendly, and stay on schedule. Contrary to the previous post, I didn't find the traffic to be much of a problem with NCRC, it's something that is unavoidable with any group frankly.. I'd recommend them for sure!
Yeah, forgot to mention the on-time thing. They are always on the dot with run groups.

I guess I've ran private track days before so there are definitely more cars on track with NCRC.

Advanced group is good. Always get point bys and not many asshats that try to dive bomb you in the braking zones.

It's a good crowd of mostly regulars. I know the organizers research the attendees if some of them look fishy or have bad track feedback in the past.
      04-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
let me know what the dates are - ill prob head out there with ncrc as well…they are pretty strict with all the rules…three black flags and your day is done.

Crap if its this weekend cant go. Might do next weekend grip/drift event to get some sideways practice if anything.
I signed up for this weekend's event at Buttonwillow. Can't wait to get out there again.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, forgot to mention the on-time thing. They are always on the dot with run groups.

I guess I've ran private track days before so there are definitely more cars on track with NCRC.

Advanced group is good. Always get point bys and not many asshats that try to dive bomb you in the braking zones.

It's a good crowd of mostly regulars. I know the organizers research the attendees if some of them look fishy or have bad track feedback in the past
That is very good to know. I signed up for the open/advanced group. I don't dive bomb people and give people space going into turns.
Appreciate 0