BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Hey Guys,

I've got a 2012 which of course has the newer paper filter which outflows the older US spec one. Is it still worth upgrading to a BMC or similar drop in filter?

I don't care about it being lifetime as I'll sell the car before the warranty is up.
Drop-ins can be worth about 5-6hp on the dyno. The Macht Schnell S2 intake has shown gains of ~10-12hp.

Since you're local, feel free to drop by and see the pieces in person. We can even dyno your M3 to show your exact gains.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
Yamdan
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I have the same "rattling" noise with my KN filter. Have checked the install more than once and its 100% ok. Will change sparkplugs next week and will check it again
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Drop-ins can be worth about 5-6hp on the dyno. The Macht Schnell S2 intake has shown gains of ~10-12hp.
Normally, I'd consider claims like this from the retailer, just BS. However ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Since you're local, feel free to drop by and see the pieces in person. We can even dyno your M3 to show your exact gains.
This is putting your money where your mouth is. Wish I was in your neck of the woods to take you up on the offer. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.
      06-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

5-6 HP is actually believable..its when vendors claim 15-20 WHP that I call
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Nope.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
m3an
Banned
Rep

noise is totally normal. I would kind of agree that although it is induction noise it does kind of sound like a slight rattle of plastic parts (weird to describe) but the ITBs may be a decent theory
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #29
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

EAS is a cool shop, I've actually dyno'd my car their before! I'd go with the stage 2, but the price is a bit more than I want to spend on an air filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

I've done air filter swap on my old 350Z years ago and in my old 997 Carrera S, though most people believe they don't do anything my butt dyno is very sensitive as I tend to be very intimate with my cars, I actually did feel a difference in both cars. Nothing major of course, but the car accelerated a little smoother. Pulled a bit better compared to before in both cases.

I'll be doing a drop in filter when the M3 arrives along with the M Performance exhaust. If you're going to ask me why I prefer M Performance over other choices here's my reasons:

-Sound: I hate it when you cannot differentiate between cars because all of them sound different from OEM with aftermarket exhaust. You don't know if it's an M3 or a Mustang coming down the street. Also I'm looking for something livable for daily driving.

-Low end power: Most aftermarket exhaust systems sacrifice low end torque and HP to gain a few horses in the high RPM. Since I drive mostly on the street the low end is more important for me.

-Weight: Though BMW claims a 20 lbs weight reduction an article in Euro Tuner they have found a difference of only 8.5 lbs

Though there are systems out there on the market with more weight savings the sound and keeping the low end power is more important for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #31
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I agree with the others stating a "rattling" induction sound. I have a K&N and I can hear it a WOT in the 3-4k RPM range. Not the most refined sound but I am willing to live with it. My car is an '08 and had the restrictive filter with the charcoal liner, so I do feel the car breaths better with the K&N.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
Yamdan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I agree with the others stating a "rattling" induction sound. I have a K&N and I can hear it a WOT in the 3-4k RPM range. Not the most refined sound but I am willing to live with it. My car is an '08 and had the restrictive filter with the charcoal liner, so I do feel the car breaths better with the K&N.
Exactly the same as I have with my KN
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin911 View Post
I've done air filter swap on my old 350Z years ago and in my old 997 Carrera S, though most people believe they don't do anything my butt dyno is very sensitive as I tend to be very intimate with my cars, I actually did feel a difference in both cars. Nothing major of course, but the car accelerated a little smoother. Pulled a bit better compared to before in both cases.

I'll be doing a drop in filter when the M3 arrives along with the M Performance exhaust. If you're going to ask me why I prefer M Performance over other choices here's my reasons:

-Sound: I hate it when you cannot differentiate between cars because all of them sound different from OEM with aftermarket exhaust. You don't know if it's an M3 or a Mustang coming down the street. Also I'm looking for something livable for daily driving.

-Low end power: Most aftermarket exhaust systems sacrifice low end torque and HP to gain a few horses in the high RPM. Since I drive mostly on the street the low end is more important for me.

-Weight: Though BMW claims a 20 lbs weight reduction an article in Euro Tuner they have found a difference of only 8.5 lbs

Though there are systems out there on the market with more weight savings the sound and keeping the low end power is more important for me.
You are talking about somewhere between nothing and a couple hp for a drop in filter on these cars or in other words about at best a 1% increase in performance and that will only be seen at higher rpms. It is telling to do a search and make note of the number of people who went to a shop with no sticks in the fire (neither makes it or sells it) and showed a gain that does not fall into normal run to run variablility. Buttometers cannot be trusted.

As to the M performance exhaust speaking as someone who has just held both it and the stock exhaust in my hands recently (as well as doing the under car bench press) I can say that I have to question the 8 and change pound weight difference you are mentioning. I did not weigh either one but it surely feels like the 20 odd pounds that is usually quoted is the more accurate number.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #34
sin911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
You are talking about somewhere between nothing and a couple hp for a drop in filter on these cars or in other words about at best a 1% increase in performance and that will only be seen at higher rpms. It is telling to do a search and make note of the number of people who went to a shop with no sticks in the fire (neither makes it or sells it) and showed a gain that does not fall into normal run to run variablility. Buttometers cannot be trusted.

As to the M performance exhaust speaking as someone who has just held both it and the stock exhaust in my hands recently (as well as doing the under car bench press) I can say that I have to question the 8 and change pound weight difference you are mentioning. I did not weigh either one but it surely feels like the 20 odd pounds that is usually quoted is the more accurate number.
I was actually looking for some real dyno gains on the intake alternatives now.

As for the exhaust system, I'm just saying what is quoted in Euro Tuner. I haven't weighed the system myself.
Appreciate 0