BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

The clackity noise is from your lightened flywheels I believe. It's been talked about on the forum before. I could be wrong, since I didn't bother to read everything, but, just from what I skimmed through in 3 seconds....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

so that is normal then your saying??

do you have the noise at idle when the clutch is not pressed in and when pressed down it goes away

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
The clackity noise is from your lightened flywheels I believe. It's been talked about on the forum before. I could be wrong, since I didn't bother to read everything, but, just from what I skimmed through in 3 seconds....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
chibich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I just started noticing this noise over the past week. called bmw today to bring the car in to check the throw out bearing, and after doing some research some people seem to say its normal. I bought the car almost 4 months ago(100% stock) with 16,500 miles on it and have put little over 2k miles on it (over half of which are highway from picking it up in virginia and driving it out to missouri, so wouldn't have heard it then). I've been working on cars for almost 10 years now, and usually pick up on any little noise pretty quick so I'm surprised when people say its normal due to the light weight flywheel.

I guess what I'm wondering is people who have owned the car since new or fewer miles than what I got mine at, did you notice it right after picking it up or going on a test drive. I took a couple m's for a drive before getting this one and didn't notice it on any of them (all 6mt). It just seems kind of hard to believe that bmw would sell a $70k car that sounded like this, and yea while some of the potential buyers wouldn't mind because "this is a performance car", seems to be a loud enough noise to deter enough buyers away that it would affect sales. maybe mine is worse than others and it is the throw out bearing starting to go, but just wanted to get some input from others, cause everyone just seems to say "its normal due to the light weight flywheel".

Just want to see when people started noticing it?
How long have you been driving around with it like this?
Has it seem to have gotten worse, or stayed about the same?
This past week the weather here has been in the mid to low 30's, so have you noticed it more when the weather is cold?
Appreciate 0