BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
yalag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Clueless once again. Is the dealership right or wrong?

This is a third part to my wheels problem. So started about 2 weeks ago I noticed that the rear left wheel started giving sounds. The sound is some klunking that is proportional to the car speed. So faster would give more frequent sounds.

Took it in to the dealer. Conclusion they give is this: the aftermarket rims that I got doesn't fit well with these cars. The middle hub of the rotor is too long and the socket in the wheel is not deep enough for it. As a result there is a 3mm gap between the wheel and the rotor. This caused the rotor to go lose and now the bearings are lose and needs replacement.

Called a friend who knows something about cars (unlike me) and said it's normal to have a gap for aftermarket wheels. They never fit
perfectly.

I don't care much about the few hundred dollars to replace the rotor. Take that money. More importantly, are my rims good? If they are not I have to pay 4000 for the BMW snow tire package and hopefully get a refund on these current set.

So can bad rims break rotars? Is there thing as bad non-fitting rims to begin with??
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Where did you bought those aftermarket wheels?

As I mention before, BMW OEM winter package is a very good choice!

Last edited by Fanta; 02-02-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Help the experts help you man. State all wheel specs (brand, size, width, offset), use of spacers or not, use of hub rings or not, tire specs, wheel lugnut torque. Specifics of when your car sounds/acts weird would help too. Most definitely not normal. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would state what wheel, diamater, width, and offset so we can better assist you.

But I'm not sure where a gap of any sort would be ok when mounting a wheel. Are you talking about a gap between the hub and the pad of the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
yalag
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank@WSTO View Post
I would state what wheel, diamater, width, and offset so we can better assist you.

But I'm not sure where a gap of any sort would be ok when mounting a wheel. Are you talking about a gap between the hub and the pad of the wheel?
yea the technician showed me and I tried to understand what is going on, from what I understand there is a gap between the hub and the pad of the wheel, is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
hkwallace328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X5 4.8I

dude wut wheels u got take some phtos
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Maybe your wheels needed hubrings? Everyone's been asking for specs/brand ..I'm sure they will be more insightful if you can give these information. I can't imagine "aftermarket" wheels never fitting properly; I'm sure there are, but to say all of them? That's obsurd. I have ran no-name reps, BBS, NEEZ...none of these have any fitment problems...

Edit: I just read a few of your older posts, you're dealing with a dealer..they are gonna try to blame anything and everything on "aftermarket" to get you to buy their stuff. I have to say generally speaking ...dealers in Toronto are quite incompetent when it comes to identifying problems. You'll probably have better luck at one of the more reputable local shops. Besides mechanical and servicing, I like to stay the hell away from the dealer - waste of time and money.

Last edited by bunnn; 02-02-2010 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
yalag
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Maybe your wheels needed hubrings? Everyone's been asking for specs/brand ..I'm sure they will be more insightful if you can give these information. I can't imagine "aftermarket" wheels never fitting properly; I'm sure there are, but to say all of them? That's obsurd. I have ran no-name reps, BBS, NEEZ...none of these have any fitment problems...

Edit: I just read a few of your older posts, you're dealing with a dealer..they are gonna try to blame anything and everything on "aftermarket" to get you to buy their stuff. I have to say generally speaking ...dealers in Toronto are quite incompetent when it comes to identifying problems. You'll probably have better luck at one of the more reputable local shops. Besides mechanical and servicing, I like to stay the hell away from the dealer - waste of time and money.
I believe they are 5Zigen ZR520 just judging from the photos of the store. And of course I wouldn't know the exact measurements but I will try to get them tomorrow. Just wanted to ask if this whole "doesn't fit" story makes sense from an expert point of view.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

It's not your tires! I have had the same exact problem twice. Small small stones get jammed between the blake calipers and the brake discs. Either pull up your hand break 10- 15 times and crush the stone or use pressure washer to blow the stone out.
..Or just take the calipers off and put them back on.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
yea the technician showed me and I tried to understand what is going on, from what I understand there is a gap between the hub and the pad of the wheel, is that normal?
Nope. This is actually dangerous.

Sounds like the OE centering lip does not fit the bore of the wheel... See the gap in the picture below. Is this what you are referring to as the gap?

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Sounds to me like the bore size of the wheels you bought is too small to fit over the center bore of the hub which leaves a gap like the picture above. The answer is yes that can mess up your wheel hub and rotor running a gap like that. The back face of the wheel should ALWAYS mount flush to the surface of the hub. Where the heck did you find 5Zigens that fit a BMW?
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
yalag
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Sounds to me like the bore size of the wheels you bought is too small to fit over the center bore of the hub which leaves a gap like the picture above. The answer is yes that can mess up your wheel hub and rotor running a gap like that. The back face of the wheel should ALWAYS mount flush to the surface of the hub. Where the heck did you find 5Zigens that fit a BMW?
the face of the wheel should always mount flush to the surface of the hub? Are you absolutely sure on that? I've asked a few garage guys around the area and they all said its very common for it to not directly contact for aftermarket stuff.

Opinion from anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

We Must Be Talking About Different Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
the face of the wheel should always mount flush to the surface of the hub? Are you absolutely sure on that? I've asked a few garage guys around the area and they all said its very common for it to not directly contact for aftermarket stuff.

Opinion from anyone else?
The wheel mounting face on the hub must be flush with the mounting face of the wheel. What doesn't have to match is the outer diameter of the hub mounting surface and the outer diameter of the wheel mounting surface. Is that outer diameter what you have been talking about?
Attached Images

02-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Fanta
C
Canada
Rep
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera

Yalag,
One of the reason why I choose OEM is that I am lack of experience about cars, due to the fact that I cannot make a sound decision, as well as how to correct it when there comes a problem.
Those who can give you a suggestion is usually someone encountered similar problems, and learned by experience, as such they can share their valuable experience with you in the way they had spent a lot of time and effort for finding better solution.
I visited Toronto aftermarket autoshop, they always claimed all their products work perfectly fine, if there is any problem, problem only comes from end-user, not the shop.
If I buy a new car and try and error for a few times, I will need to buy another new one.
There are some people who are very experienced, go ask their opinions, you maybe better luck, such as articles wrote by
Lemans_Blue_M, Gearhead999s, rldzhao....

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #15
revster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

yalag,

I sympathize with your situation. It's difficult to take anyone's advice after you've gotten so many different opinions.

But even if we don't all necessarily understand why, we all seem to agree that the problem has to do with your aftermarket wheels.

Cut your losses: get those wheels off, have the dealer make the necessary repairs, then put something OEM on, and consider this an expensive lesson learned.

Good luck.
      02-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Yalag, maybe you cold post some pics of the gap? The step shown by Calintexas is perfectly OK. The gap shown by rldzhao would be a major problem. From your description, I suspect that it is the latter. If that is the case, you woud either need a spacer to fill the gap, or to remove the wheels.

Aftermarket wheels often have a stepped bore to allow for the use of a centering ring (to eliminate the other kind of gap that some people have mentioned, when the hole in the wheel is bigger than the hub of the car). The stepped bore may be big enough to fit over the car's hub at the beginning, but then when it hit's the step it gets stuck. That could keep it from sitting flush against the rotor.