BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #67
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

^ Wait, so they took wheels off THREE cars??! They must've been ninjas.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #68
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
On the plus side - my car still looks sexy as tits even with her shoes and socks off lol.
THIS.
      05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #69
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post
You guys realize that wheel locks are easily defeated just by hammering a socket one size smaller on to them right?

I once lost my key and that's all I had to do.
+1 - Wheel locks are nothing but a waste of time IMO. They only thing they do is introduce the opportunity to create a hassle for the owner (lose the "key" and can't figure out how to remove the wheel). Thieves can easily work around them.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #70
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
+1 - Wheel locks are nothing but a waste of time IMO.
Exactly, they waste the thief's time, and seconds are all you want so you have time, at least in TX, to get your gun.

I also took a punch set and punched some identifying information on a very inconspicuous place on each of my wheels. Helps if they are stolen and someone tries to sell them.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
rogi16012
rog
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2016 981 GT4

Ouch man, that fucking blows. This is why I never leave my car outside the garage anymore. This almost happened to me but the lug nuts were put on too tight and they ended up breaking my fender in the process. Only reason I knew they were trying to steal my wheels was because a car down the street was sitting on cinder blocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #72
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

Not to be a jerk but why would you park it outside if you have what appears to be a 2 car a garage?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #73
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Hope insurance covers it...or even if they only cover brand new e9x wheels, you can flip those and make a few grand to put towards other wheels you know?

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #74
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Not to be a jerk but why would you park it outside if you have what appears to be a 2 car a garage?
Not to be a jerk, but actually reading the posts from the OP helps. He was at a family event and there was no space left. And I'll answer for him that for whatever reason forcing other family members into the driveway while he parked inside didnt appear to be a required option (maybe their cars are M5s )

OP... Great attitude towards it man... Sucks that this crap happens, esp on a nice holiday weekend, but you can't let it give you an ulcer. In the end it's just stuff.

Can't believe those guys did such a clean out on that subdivision... That's some "Gone in 60 Seconds" shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #75
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

I kick people out of there garages depending on where I go and what car they have, but of course acquiesce if they have better Sucks nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
Not to be a jerk, but actually reading the posts from the OP helps. He was at a family event and there was no space left. And I'll answer for him that for whatever reason forcing other family members into the driveway while he parked inside didnt appear to be a required option (maybe their cars are M5s )

OP... Great attitude towards it man... Sucks that this crap happens, esp on a nice holiday weekend, but you can't let it give you an ulcer. In the end it's just stuff.

Can't believe those guys did such a clean out on that subdivision... That's some "Gone in 60 Seconds" shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #76
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2Ox1Tore9nw
      05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #77
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Woke up this morning and found this. Cops are no help - waiting for a response from the insurance company.

These guys are good alarm didn't go off dog didn't bark. Luckily they didn't try to do additional damages to the car. Let me know if anyone sees these hot the market they are iconz830z -can't imagine a ton of these floating around. Alright I doubt it would do any good -hopefully insurance will cover
I don't want to sound disrespectful, as I'm sure you love and know this car like the back of your hand, but there is a special trick with the locking/alarm mechanism that could possibly have allowed these thieves to take your wheels.

As I'm sure you know, your car has a motion alarm inside the car, as well as a tilt sensor. And this comes directly from my 3-series manual (mind you, my car doesn't ship with an alarm, but I have no doubt in my mind that all BMW alarms, and at least all e9x alarms, work like this):

Quote:
Avoiding unintentional alarms
The tilt alarm sensor and interior motion sensor may be switched off at the same time. This prevents unintentional alarms, e.g. in the following situations:
  • In duplex garages
  • During transport on car-carrying trains, boats/ships or on a trailer
  • When animals are to remain in the vehicle
  • Switching off tilt alarm sensor and interior motion sensor

Press the button on the remote control again as soon as the vehicle is locked. The indicator lamp lights up briefly and then flashes continuously. The tilt alarm sensor and the interior motion sensor are switched off until the next time the vehicle is unlocked and subsequently locked again.
While of course I'm not blaming you for this theft, a simple habit (pushing the lock button twice to psychologically ensure that the vehicle has received the lock command) could have allowed for this vulnerability. So, if this is part of your locking routine, train yourself not to do that! If you don't usually do this/believe that you did it that night, then it was just some very skilled thieves.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #78
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

That sucks man! Another reason why I keep mine garaged, allways at home and if I'm traveling, I'll try my best to either valet it or park in a well lighted or public area. But if their out looking to rob you, not much one can do but try to keep them guessing. Bastards!

Interesting point from the manual. I had totaly forgot about that. I know I've pushed the lock button on the remote key several times to make sure I locked the car after I've locked it from the touch-sensor on the door handle. Damn, I've been unintentianally leaving my tilt-off! Ooops!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #79
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Seeing as how I'm seeing other people in the area sitting on blocks - with the same blocks - and the f***ing lugs threaded back in on their cars as well as mine - im thinkin that is not the case. Also does not explain how they got past the wheel locks. Would be cool if they catch these guys tho I hate to see all these nice cars sitting on bricks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #80
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Couldnt agree more. Yea I can be pissed off but I'm really not - they left the car in pretty good shape and didn't try to vandalize it in any other way than taking my wheels and tires. I had the BMW OEM locks and the OEM alarm (with tilt sensors?) which were completely worthless here. These guys def. knew what they were doing. I received this picture this morning from a friend that lives in a neighborhood closeby. These guys have been busy.

On the plus side - my car still looks sexy as tits even with her shoes and socks off lol. - And This could be a blessing in disguise - I needed new tires on the rears and one of my TPMS sensors was out. If the insurance doesnt screw me I'm looking at a brand new set of wheels, tires and TPMS all around.
I pray a good bullet finds a home in these guys chest!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #81
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
My friend had the OEM wheels stolen off his E60 550i (the 19 inchers). He had BMW wheel locks. They are worthless against professional thieves. They will come and scope out your car and they have every wheel lock key. They will figure out which one you have and come back to steal the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post
You guys realize that wheel locks are easily defeated just by hammering a socket one size smaller on to them right?

I once lost my key and that's all I had to do.
Quote:
+1 - Wheel locks are nothing but a waste of time IMO. They only thing they do is introduce the opportunity to create a hassle for the owner (lose the "key" and can't figure out how to remove the wheel). Thieves can easily work around them.
This is true to some extent. Nothing will prevent theft if the thief is determined. But I think these statements apply more if using standard wheel locks.

I use RADs because they are rounded and keyed. This makes it very difficult to remove even if using a smaller socket they will just spin around not being able to grab the lug
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #82
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Not all wheel locks are created equal. Rimlox carries a 100% replacement of tires and wheels if your wheels get jacked while your running their locks. They're pretty legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #83
N1COM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: LMB E92

I honestly did not now that! I didn't know a double press of the lock button disables the alarm. It's a bad habit of mine. I always thought the flashing red light meant the alarm is armed. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
I don't want to sound disrespectful, as I'm sure you love and know this car like the back of your hand, but there is a special trick with the locking/alarm mechanism that could possibly have allowed these thieves to take your wheels.

While of course I'm not blaming you for this theft, a simple habit (pushing the lock button twice to psychologically ensure that the vehicle has received the lock command) could have allowed for this vulnerability. So, if this is part of your locking routine, train yourself not to do that! If you don't usually do this/believe that you did it that night, then it was just some very skilled thieves.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #84
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

As others have noted, wheel locks are a waste of money.

These expensive RAD locks could be removed with a fine gauge pin socket and a blowtorch in thirty seconds.

Best security is good insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #85
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1COM3 View Post
I honestly did not now that! I didn't know a double press of the lock button disables the alarm. It's a bad habit of mine. I always thought the flashing red light meant the alarm is armed. Thanks for the info.
Me too. All these years of owning Bmw's and I never realized I was actually disabling a part of the alarm
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #86
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Damn, I am so sorry for your car..it's crazy how people could just do that.
      05-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #87
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
^ Wait, so they took wheels off THREE cars??! They must've been ninjas.
They should apply for a job with a NASCAR racing team .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #88
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM3 View Post
The same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago
and the alarm didn't go off, it was left on bricks like yours
but the thieves in the UK are more caring it was not left
resting on the discs, it had BMW lock nuts which they took with them.

Anyway it now has two sets of locks RAD and schnitzer
plus a viper alarm, the guy who fitted it has a M3 E92 himself
he knows his stuff have a look on you tube
i know he is in the UK but it might help?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Securemycar

Buy the way my BMW insurance paid the bill which was
over £6000.00 for the wheels and tyres and all the bits and pieces.
Sorry to hear both to the OP and you. Just out of curiousity were they aftermarket rims on your car?