BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

03-05-2022, 11:16 PM   #1
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

GAS monoball kit in a street car?

I am considering installing the GAS monoball kit:

https://germanautosolutions.com/stor...l-arm-mset-v2/

Was curious if there were some folks here who have had a decent amount of seat time with this kit, and how you feel about the kit while on the street?

I'm aware of what the kit is and does, but I'm guessing however small, there is bound to be some level of NVH increase. I would love to hear peoples experiences with this in regards to regular street driving and long distance cruising.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post

Was curious if there were some folks here who have had a decent amount of seat time with this kit, and how you feel about the kit while on the street?

I'm aware of what the kit is and does, but I'm guessing however small, there is bound to be some level of NVH increase. I would love to hear peoples experiences with this in regards to regular street driving and long distance cruising.
I have the turner version of the thrust arm monoball but I'm away from Seattle for a bit so I can't check the other bushings/arms. The car is on KW clubsports already and I've never driven a stock M3, no context for how one should feel. When we meet up for a drive or something you're welcome to check it out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
drwankel1049.00
      03-05-2022, 11:42 PM   #3
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post

Depends what you're after. My car is mostly track driven but I loved this addition. I did it while the suspension was still stock and subsequently added the Ohlins track day kit.

It meaningfully tightened up the front. If you're after pure stock plushness, I'd pass.

Steering feel tightens up and you can feel more imperfections in the road. There is really no N or V, just a bit of H.

derbo turned me onto it and might have some thoughts too.
Attached Images

03-06-2022, 12:38 AM   #4
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I have the GAS kit on my M3 up front with Bilstein edc coil overs. I've also got a full rear monoball conversion and a bunch of SPL parts.

The rear is tight and quiet.

The front is tight and handles great at speed. However at low speed (under 25) over rough roads they do pop a little. Worth it if you want to track the car. However if you're not gonna track it then you'll get a huge improvement just replacing worn bushings.

I've asked a bunch of local shops that do Dinan and they say it's the same kind of noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
SGM_E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite E90

Night and day difference on the track. Not sure you'll feel much difference driving on the street though
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
slcook54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_E90 View Post
Night and day difference on the track. Not sure you'll feel much difference driving on the street though
You definitely feel it on the street. I noticed it immediately after install. Assuming your suspension is stock. I could see it being less pronounced if you were already on suspension
      03-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
SGM_E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_E90 View Post
You definitely feel it on the street. I noticed it immediately after install. Assuming your suspension is stock. I could see it being less pronounced if you were already on suspension
Maybe that's what it was. I already had tckline DA installed. Albeit I only drive the car once a week and almost all city.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

I have had turner, Dinan and gas. Gas is the best and also priced the best. Great mod for street car
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      03-08-2022, 11:27 PM   #9
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

large bumps with high damper velocity were more pronounced but not intolerable. I would agree with slcook54 here: neglible additional NV, but noticable H on large fast impact bumps. Steering felt better on large lateral weight transfers switchbacks and braking felt better when under heavy near-abs thresholds.

I would recommend it as a must-have option for spirited driving.

G.A.S. offers the best price as it is pre-pressed into new TRW arms for the same price of just Dinan Monoball kit uninstalled.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 04:10 PM   #10
drwankel
Major
Rep

Thanks all. To better describe what my goals are here. I recently moved to some wider wheels and tires, and have been getting a steering wheel vibration between 70-80 intermittently. Got a better road force balance done, and the issue is improved, but still remains.

My car has a bit over 60K on it, and as such, it is likely time to address the thrust arm bushings. People have commented that they can cause these symptoms. Even if it isn't the cause, replacing them will be good for preventative maintenance. My general thought when replacing anything, is if there is an upgrade available, now is the time to do it.

That being said- I currently don't track the car. its a weekend car, so some aggressive canyon carving is definitely part of the use case, but so is just long distance cruising. The monoballs seem to offer benefits I would appreciate, but I don't want to muck up the streetability of the suspension too much, as I am pretty happy with the factory ZCP setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #11
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

You will get better turn in and less dive on braking with front monoballs. It's not a major difference but noticeable. Not really the first mod I would recommend but it will not hurt NVH too much, and if it's due for a replacement might as well upgrade it.

That said, if monoballs don't solve your vibration issue, there is a chance it might make it more noticeable just cos there will be less rubber in the front suspension to soak up vibrations.

Last edited by Redd; 03-09-2022 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
drwankel1049.00
      03-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #12
slcook54
Captain
Rep

If you're trying to fix a vibration, which I also dealt with, I found mine was combination of 3 things unfortunately

- bent wheels
- control arms
- brakes

Once I replaced all 3, vibrations were eliminated. Unfortunately it's a process of elimination but you can check these things individually
      03-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #13
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
If you're trying to fix a vibration, which I also dealt with, I found mine was combination of 3 things unfortunately

- bent wheels
- control arms
- brakes

Once I replaced all 3, vibrations were eliminated. Unfortunately it's a process of elimination but you can check these things individually
I agree. I doubt the tension arm bush is a source of vibration cos its not a spinning part and very far inboard. It may make noise when worn but I doubt it will cause vibrations.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2022, 08:36 PM   #14
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Do you have the ability to swap to another set of wheels to double check that it isn't the new set?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:40 PM   #15
slcook54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
Do you have the ability to swap to another set of wheels to double check that it isn't the new set?
He said he did a road force balance which should be able to flag a bent rim
      03-09-2022, 08:45 PM   #16
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Yeah I saw that but the fact that the vibration stuck around even after road force balance is super weird. That's always cured my rolling vibration problems in the past. If he had a second set it would be pretty low hanging fruit to double check. He got a new set of Avant Gardes recently.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:26 AM   #17
drwankel
Major
Rep

I still have the original wheels, but I've already pulled the tires off of them. Tires were due for replacement anyway.

I had a very very slight vibration with the old wheels, but it had been quite a while since I had the tires balanced. I figured it was just due to wear, and the tires needed to be re-balanced, which is something that I've experienced before.

Since I was replacing the wheels/tires anyway, I figured that would cure it.

What I'm suspecting is one of two things:

1. The vibration was actually due to the thrust arm bushings, and the wider wheels made it more pronounced.

2. The wheels are flawed somehow, and the source of the vibration. There is precedence for this, I found many very old threads where people complained of vibrations with the AG M359s that they never eliminated. Those were the old cast versions vs the new flow formed versions, but still its enough to be suspect. Some claimed that the hubcentric portion of the wheel was ever so slightly too big.

Anyway, I figure replacing the thrust arm bushings would be a good next step, just to rule it out. People have commented that it was a source of vibration for them. Even if its not the cause, I think refreshing them is worthwhile for preventative maintenance anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:40 AM   #18
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I agree. I doubt the tension arm bush is a source of vibration cos its not a spinning part and very far inboard. It may make noise when worn but I doubt it will cause vibrations.
Completely agree with you. I struggle to understand why the trust arm bushings could cause a steering wheel vibration, but I've read plenty of posts from others that claimed it was the cause of theirs.

If that doesn't fix it, I may go back to the stock wheels. One of the things I love about this car is how smooth it is at higher speeds. Although I love having the traction back, I'm ultimately never going to be happy if I can't get these steering vibrations controlled.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #19
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
I have had turner, Dinan and gas. Gas is the best and also priced the best. Great mod for street car
Curious what you found better about GAS over Dinan, other than price? Not many people have handled both.

I have the Dinan kit which I think the GAS is designed after. Street driven but still very happy with them. @slcook54 nailed the description.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 06:12 AM   #20
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Gas have a better bearing and are machined to a MUCH tighter tolerance making install easier

"Consider this, the control arms bores of the E90-M3 and E82-1M are 0.003 inch smaller and 0.034 inch narrower than their non-M counterparts, but we are the only monoball manufacture that makes different specific models for each! To us, 0.003 inch is a huge difference! In fact, 0.003 inch is six times our manufacturing tolerance!"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #21
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

They both claim to use OE bearings, I think. I don't see that on Dinan's website now, but I know it used to specify that.

Can't speak to the tolerance issue. I know my shop had no issues fitting the Dinan bits into new TRW arms, they were well made and fit right.

Last edited by wyatth; 03-15-2022 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #22
nycplumber
Major
Rep

I compared the manufacturing # on the bearing itself. You can only know that # by looking at the bearing. I'm not a Dinan fan due to their horrible customer service since the company was sold so I'm glad these are better for cheaper
Appreciate 0