BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

08-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
brandonwuwux3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3cs

can anyone help me on this?

Lets say you have a m3 and it was launched around 25 times. will it damage the WHOLE dct system or just wear the clutch? :O
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Not a DCT owner, but the better question would be how much to replace a worn clutch. Launches shouldn't cause any more damage than a worn 1st gear clutch (there're 2 multi-plate clutches in there), but I don't think it's an easy (or cheap) job since it requires removing and opening the tranny. I wouldn't do any more hard launches if I were you.

I haven't read about anybody replacing a DCT (or even 6MT) clutch yet, so I doubt you'll get a definitive answer on this, but speculation is fun . And I'm sure you'll get better answers than mine. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

I don’t think the individual parts are available. You would need seals for the front clutch housing, clutch drum to pressure feed, clutch pistons, steel discs, and friction discs. Using RealOEM.com only the complete transmission assembly is shown and the NOT the clutch replacement parts needed.
The complete transmission assembly is listed as:
01 Replacement, dual-clutch transmission GS7D36SG 1 28007842585 $9,749.87

There are new service DCT tools that BMW has released, maybe in preparation for the ability to pull the front M-DCT housing and replace the seals and service the clutches?

The clutches are much like those used in an automatic transmission and should be able to be serviced in the field with the needed tools.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

interesting photo. thanks
better question is; are those clutches as solid as they're suppose to be. I feel like with a DCT you wont do as much damage because everything is computerized. In a full manual (with a clutch) it's probably pretty easy to kill the clutch..

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
interesting photo. thanks
better question is; are those clutches as solid as they're suppose to be. I feel like with a DCT you wont do as much damage because everything is computerized. In a full manual (with a clutch) it's probably pretty easy to kill the clutch..
The DCT clutches are also fluid cooled which is another plus.
But the DCT owners are still durability testing every day.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
I feel like with a DCT you wont do as much damage because everything is computerized.
Do enough launches and you'd eventually burn them. The only thing the computer is going to prevent is a mechanical overrev, which is a good thing . The computer still has to slip the clutch at every start, and the harder you start, the more wear on the clutch(es). My curiosity with DCT is if the computer slips the clutch constantly when crawling in traffic (let's say 5 mph), or leaves it fully engaged like many of us do to minimize clutch wear. Other than that, gear changes are much quicker on DCTs, so wear concerns are basically limited to 1st gear. My guess is if the clutch can be serviced, it'd be the whole pack (both), even if only the 1-3-5 clutch is worn out.

I say there's no way in hell BMW can get away with charging 9 grand for a tranny when just the clutches are worn out but we'll see soon enough.

Kenwelch, thanks for those pics. Hey, those look like DRY multi-plate clutches to me , but maybe I'm wrong. Motorcycles have 'wet' clutches that look just like that, but contrary to public belief, they're NOT submerged in oil, nor they even touch it in the sump; they only get splashed with it. Now I'm curious how DCTs work in that respect. Good evening.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-05-2010 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The dual clutches are “wet” design and hydraulically cooled. In the lower picture that I posted the yellow circled clutch unit is out of the transmission bell housing (clutch housing). When assembled it would be moved to the right inside the housing and engaged to the input shaft and the four sealing rings. The “exploded view” cut-a-way transmission has moved the clutch unit to the left for better viewing.

This is from the BMW introduction manual:

“GS7D36SG M double-clutch transmission features:
• Hydraulically operated double (wet) clutches.”

“The pressure required for the clutches is limited to 18 bar. The clutch is regulated by an integrated proportioning valve.
Overpressure protection is ensured by a pressure relief valve.
Clutch cooling is map-controlled using a proportional valve.”
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thanks Ken. Somebody posted a link to an M3's DCT build with 700HP clutches after I asked a question. It has all the pictures I was looking for to satisfy my curiosity . Man, I don't think I'll ever own such a complicated (and not that reliable...so far) tranny, but the technology is awesome ; just don't want any more crap that can go wrong in my cars. If I have to buy an automatic car, rather lose a few tenths and not having to worry about reliability, longevity, or repairs. Good evening folks. Oh, here it is, enjoy:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...60&postcount=3

Last edited by JCtx; 09-05-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0